The Gary Johnson effect

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

The Gary Johnson effect

Post by DWB »

So GJ has been here what 4 months and what a difference. He identified where players should be playing (Jamie Reid a prime example) and played them there. Has instilled an unbelievable belief in the team, players wanting to play for him. Has engaged with the supporters. Has obviously engaged with the owners ( so credit them in supporting him). Always planning ahead (getting contracts sorted). He is a PROPER football manager and has given us, the supporters, a team we can be proud in again for the first time in many a year. Thank You Gary Johnson.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

:goodpost:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Think you should also acknowledge the support team he's built around him - and, of course, the funding from Clarke Osborne to achieve this. But we still have to be mindful of the what if's.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Think you should also acknowledge the support team he's built around him - and, of course, the funding from Clarke Osborne to achieve this. But we still have to be mindful of the what if's.
[/quote]

I have acknowledged the support from the owners and yes I accept the “what if’s” but because it has been such a long time in coming I am actually proud to be a Torquay United supporter ( have been supporting them for 50 years) again and believe me living in Exeter now it is something I am enjoying but with the acknowledgement of the level we are now playing at ( but not for much longer!!).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 20:26 Think you should also acknowledge the support team he's built around him - and, of course, [highlight=yellow]the funding from Clarke Osborne to achieve this[/highlight]. But we still have to be mindful of the what if's.
Agree Nick.
But he had £120k in the club due to the loan....
......And I stiil don't trust him.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

A good manager and team but in the background there's still the elephant in the room.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Agreed. The effect GJ has had on the club is unbelievable. I am very hopeful he will get us back into the football league soon (although one step at a time). One thing I will say, he has been backed and has been allowed to manage. Probably because he has the trust of the owners unlike the previous 2 managers. These are exciting times after the dissapointments of the last 4 years.
Just to be a little controversial. GJ has just about all of our players signed up for next season. I know there will still be new arrivals when the Bristol loanees go back but are the current players good enough for the top end of the National league? Personally, I think some are but certainly not all. Thoughts!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No doubt he's had a dramatic impact on the club. In still struggling to see how people can talk about the 'backing' from Osborne though. Yes he's addressing a lot of issues, hardly breaking the bank though. We've got a tiny squad bolstered by loanees and we're in the NLS. Hardly flashing the cash and meanwhile the club owes more and more through various loans.

I credit Osborne with having an MO that certainly seems to hoodwink fans into believing his bullshit.

I'm certainly enjoying the winning mentality introduced by Gary Johnson but mindful of the fact we've slipped so far backwards since he acquired the club and we've had to sink to such a low level before we stopped the rot.

Credit to GJ, but CO can hardly be regarded as a saviour with his style of business.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Just got to enjoy it while we've got it is the way I'm looking at it. :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Agree totally, just getting ready for the shitstorm that's likely to come.
Dave

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

If the owner had a different background I'd be thinking the club is on a roll with someone financially assisting its rise and all looking good but its a bizarre situation because I'm almost waiting with trepidation to see when it all goes wrong.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Whilst I Appreciate and agree with a lot of the uncertainty that goes with the owners I add that would Gary Johnson have taken the job in the first place if he did not seek or was given certain assurances, after all he has been around long enough to have come into contact with some dubious owners!
Maybe I am being naive to think positive things but as has been stated let’s enjoy it while it lasts.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

If things do go tits up as a lot of people think is inevitable, GJ will just walk away with his head held high, all he can do is look a the business plan set out by CO & take it at face value, what else can he do ? Yes I'm sure he's been given assurances on this & that & to be fair CO has backed him with the resources GJ requires be it playing squad , coaching staff, & maybe even had a hand in the demise of a certain Mr Harrop ! Of course we'll never know thex100% truth, but let us enjoy it whilst it lasts.
If there is a shit storm coming it won't be because the footballing side & support was found wanting.

P.s. Dave have we got a small squad or is it sausage ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I wasn't stating it was an issue just a sign that the "investment" isn't as significant as would normally be associated with a club hellbent on promotion as part of its business plan.
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

DWB wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 19:59 So GJ has been here what 4 months and what a difference. He identified where players should be playing (Jamie Reid a prime example) and played them there. Has instilled an unbelievable belief in the team, players wanting to play for him. Has engaged with the supporters. Has obviously engaged with the owners ( so credit them in supporting him). Always planning ahead (getting contracts sorted). He is a PROPER football manager and has given us, the supporters, a team we can be proud in again for the first time in many a year. Thank You Gary Johnson.
I think you've got that wrong Garry Owers put Reid at centre forward or main striker but you are right about the belief as that comes with winning. :nod: