What low hanging fruit is there at TUFC?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

What low hanging fruit is there at TUFC?

Post by Midlandgull »

Just wondering what things we all think TUFC could improve on that would be fairly straight forward to sort out? It could be absolutely anything related to the club.

For me:

1) club shop - would like to see more stock in the club shop. At Xmas I wanted a simple mug with the TUFC logo but they were all gone - this is the kind of stock you know will sell over time so we should have more in. Also, perhaps more variety of products too (e.g. retro TUFC shirts, womens range, baby wear and more stuff like that). The web page for the shop could also be a lot better - it is good we have an online shop at all but now it is there why not improve on it? Perhaps we could even stock some kit in town at another retailer?

2) Database - I don't think TUFC have ever sent me an email, SMS, post or anything. We ought to have a big database of our fans to give us the chance to do more marketing.

3) Communication from the board - I want to hear from them. How are the plans coming together, what is the stadium plan, can you answer our difficult questions etc. Of all this would build more credibility because right now none of us are clear on your intentions and whilst we are slightly distracted by the great football at the moment, it is all firmly in our minds still.

4) Social media - I think this has got a lot better. More stuff would be great - interact with fans even more, ask more questions, put polls out there, newsjack and have a dig at others for fun, and please open up comments on YouTube - why are they closed?!

5) Food and drink - not sure if this is outsourced or in house, but either way, I'd love to see more local products on offer and also in the popside for example, both sides of the kiosk open to keep queues down and sales up!

I have to say well done on the radio! Also pleasing to see the youth set up back and a partnership with South Devon College - I'd like to know more about both of those though and how they are developing. The Youth set up for me is a really key thing for growth of the club (revenue, home grown players etc - we've missed the boat with locals like Gosling and Watkins for example). Things do feel like they are improving overall.

What do you think?
:scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We’ve been asking for years to sort the playing side of Torquay. One thing at a time. I will happily back the first team over a handmade pie from a farm near Dartmouth, as for social media, I personally believe it’s improved. But I acknowledge your points, promotion first is the key
Lucy
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

The club could offer a reduced rate to someone who has never watched a match and let them bring a friend for free.If they like it then they would return paying the normal entrance fee and if not they may mention it to others who may want to give it a try.Obviously it may be difficult determining that the people coming along aren't regular supporters getting a cheap match day!But it must be possible to work something out.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Midlandgull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 19:46 We’ve been asking for years to sort the playing side of Torquay. One thing at a time. I will happily back the first team over a handmade pie from a farm near Dartmouth, as for social media, I personally believe it’s improved. But I acknowledge your points, promotion first is the key
I think both things can happen at the same time though? People who work in the catering team, or operations managers or whatever are not involved with picking the team/signing players etc (you could be forgiven for thinking they did in the last 5 seasons) so why not see if things can be improved in their line of work?

My thinking is, if we have a better connection to the club, better experience, more communication/marketing etc means more £ notes, some of which may filter into better facilities/transfer budget/wage budget etc - and can make us more competitive on the field in the future.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Midlandgull »

greb46 wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 19:52 The club could offer a reduced rate to someone who has never watched a match and let them bring a friend for free.If they like it then they would return paying the normal entrance fee and if not they may mention it to others who may want to give it a try.Obviously it may be difficult determining that the people coming along aren't regular supporters getting a cheap match day!But it must be possible to work something out.
I like this idea. I've seen similar things before. Kids for a quid, season tickets can bring a mate for £10, family ticket (e.g 4 for £40), maybe a ticket and a drink/pie promotion. Lots we could do around this idea!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

greb46 wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 19:52 The club could offer a reduced rate to someone who has never watched a match and let them bring a friend for free.If they like it then they would return paying the normal entrance fee and if not they may mention it to others who may want to give it a try.Obviously it may be difficult determining that the people coming along aren't regular supporters getting a cheap match day!But it must be possible to work something out.
I think the best way to attract new supporters would just be by having a 'fan day'. I.e. one of our home matches is selected as the fan day of the season, all ticket prices are heavily reduced (say £5 to get in?) and a big emphasis on spreading the word through social media/other forms. Also in running with the TUST Fan zone to engage the supporters as much as possible. Club would almost definitely make a loss depending on how many people come, but the potential that you've gained fans in the long-term would be worth it.

The Oxford City game at the weekend would have been perfect for this, a drab match against a mid-table team in January - had we done this and had a significant amount of supporters, I think many would have come again after seeing a 7-2!
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

OllieGull wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 20:21 I think the best way to attract new supporters would just be by having a 'fan day'. I.e. one of our home matches is selected as the fan day of the season, all ticket prices are heavily reduced (say £5 to get in?) and a big emphasis on spreading the word through social media/other forms. Also in running with the TUST Fan zone to engage the supporters as much as possible. Club would almost definitely make a loss depending on how many people come, but the potential that you've gained fans in the long-term would be worth it.

The Oxford City game at the weekend would have been perfect for this, a drab match against a mid-table team in January - had we done this and had a significant amount of supporters, I think many would have come again after seeing a 7-2!

Good idea ,think this would help for sure though not saying a £5 entrance fee on a regular occasion as it really needs to be done more often than once e.g. a few times sporadically throughout the season with perhaps the fan day you suggest later on a Saturday towards the end of the season with milder weather to try and attract people who wouldn't want to watch in mid Winter.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

"low hanging fruit" you clearly work in business transformation, like myself. Let's be honest we could 'lean' and 'continuously improve' Plainmoor until the sun goes down but if the owner wants it smashed up and made into houses to sell what's the point? So I guess my low hanging fruit is more transparency from the owner, OK perhaps we need a cherry picker/hoist for that one.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Firstly a winning side is the best advertisement. Every league table from NS shown up and down the country at the moment has our name on top of it. The YouTube content I think is spot on , wasn't that long ago you had to pay for that gulls world thing which you had to use on a mobile or laptop device which is just a pain. Watching highlights on my tv is spot on. The odd interview ECT is just about right also. Be impossible to let newbies in cheaper and quite frankly if I could make a new fan myself i would happily pay myself for a mate to go watch a game. So prehaps the fans also pay a part in spreading the word and helping to create new fans ect.
Without sounding lazy and maybe I've not tried hard enough but I've not done much buying from club shop online much myself recently , prehaps they could do be a bit more forward with the marketing on that. Even if just a video what they sell and any offers ECT ECT.
What with this sudden upturn in fortunes with a top manager and some really good players this is the time now to grasp it and really try and keep not the only the following going but also as our forum friend Midlandgull points out that this is a good time to really sell the club on different levels to existing and new fans.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

When I was a youngster in the 70's, for a couple of years I lived in Wimbledon who were still a non league club. Before the start of the season they would go around all the local schools and give out free season tickets for kids to use provided they were accompanied by a paying adult.
Seems like a good way to attract potential future fans.
TUST No 278
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

greb46 wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 19:52 [highlight=yellow]The club could offer a reduced rate to someone who has never watched a match [/highlight]and let them bring a friend for free.If they like it then they would return paying the normal entrance fee and if not they may mention it to others who may want to give it a try.Obviously it may be difficult determining that the people coming along aren't regular supporters getting a cheap match day!But it must be possible to work something out.
Is this intended as an inducement for Brucie to watch a game live rather than on highlights???
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 16:38 Is this intended as an inducement for Brucie to watch a game live rather than on highlights???
:goodpost:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

greb46 wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 16:59 :goodpost:
No use, he's snowed in.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

gateman49 wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 17:36 [highlight=yellow]No use, he's snowed in.[/highlight]
Which match official is to blame for that?
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

:red:
Arrywithnobrain wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 21:51 Which match official is to blame for that?
David Spain!