East Thurrock v Torquay United PP to 26.2.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Torquay4eva
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torquay4eva »

Got very lucky there!
We need to do better if we want to stay top.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Torquay4eva wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 22:55 Got very lucky there!
We need to do better if we want to stay top.
I’ll take winning a bit luckily over being a plucky loser any day.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

That first half was painful to watch..... attempts on goal.... err, a big fat ZERO! It wasn't cold, but I'm sure the ball had snow on it when it appeared on the ground (occasionally).

...GJ must've given them a huge rocket up their collective arses at half time as they came out (a full 5 minutes before ET) and put in a better performance, not a 'great' performance, but a better one.

Bad defending by ET let us in for the leveller with Janneh only having decide where he wanted to place it.... then....well, only Jamie Reid can know how he missed from about 3 inches out. Junior said that the ball seemed to 'bobble' just before Reid blasted it over the netting... I'm sure I saw it still bouncing down the A13 on the way back home.

Then having dominated the second half, it was great for Keating to notch the winner on 90mins.

A valuable 3 points in the grand scheme of things with Woking winning on their travels down in darkest deepest Kernow. I dunno, we do the feckers a favour and lend them the hallowed turf (and sand) to play on and they can't even return the favour by sticking one over Gerring's mob.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Performance by all accounts not great! But the result is fantastic especially being a away win, grinding out a result is the making of champions. Lots more twist and turns to come! I think now we need 8 wins from the last 11 and we will be home and hosed no matter what anyone else does. Home win on Saturday and that is 3 in a row cannot ask for more than that....
In GJ we trust!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

This was not easy viewing, but three points is three points.

The run in will have its ups and downs, we just need to back to boys and keep supporting. The players will know they had an off night, they don't need people from that stands telling them they are poor, support and encourage to the end.

The state of their pitch tonight was rock hard, difficult to play football on and was a leveller. It did stop our passing game, but something we need to deal with.

The booking of Hall was the first tackle of the game and he won the ball. Janneh got hacked down minuets later and no card. You could see what type of evening it was going to be.

I believe the substitution was tactical, but stand to be corrected. By playing deeper Hall was allowed more time to pick a pass and bypass the midfield. Keating helped turn the game, his work rate was right up there.

The boys were sent out early for the second half, six and and half minutes early, clearly having already got the massage.

With others I agree we may lack strength in depth, the bench looked light and lacked physicality.

The Jamie Reid miss did appear to bobble, but he was also flagged offside.

5 minutes added time would have been about right, however we did not manage it well. With the ball in the corner we should have run down the clock in their half. Instead a ball was played very deep into the box to allow their left back to set off up field with it. This resulted in a bombardment of our goal and the resulting corners deep into the game.

Summary - A win, three points, who said supporting Torquay United would be easy. . .
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Nick Potkins wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 09:39 This was not easy viewing, but three points is three points.

The run in will have its ups and downs, we just need to back to boys and keep supporting. The players will know they had an off night, they don't need people from that stands telling them they are poor, support and encourage to the end.

The state of their pitch tonight was rock hard, difficult to play football on and was a leveller. It did stop our passing game, but something we need to deal with.

The booking of Hall was the first tackle of the game and he won the ball. Janneh got hacked down minuets later and no card. You could see what type of evening it was going to be.

I believe the substitution was tactical, but stand to be corrected. By playing deeper Hall was allowed more time to pick a pass and bypass the midfield. Keating helped turn the game, his work rate was right up there.

The boys were sent out early for the second half, six and and half minutes early, clearly having already got the massage.

With others I agree we may lack strength in depth, the bench looked light and lacked physicality.

The Jamie Reid miss did appear to bobble, but he was also flagged offside.

5 minutes added time would have been about right, however we did not manage it well. With the ball in the corner we should have run down the clock in their half. Instead a ball was played very deep into the box to allow their left back to set off up field with it. This resulted in a bombardment of our goal and the resulting corners deep into the game.

Summary - A win, three points, [highlight=yellow]who said supporting Torquay United would be easy. . .[/highlight]
A complete idiot.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think this might just be the most important win of the season (apart from the one in which we clinch promotion) because:-

It was an away game on a Tuesday night.

A long way to go.

Against a side scrapping against relegation with a fairly decent home record.

A not very good pitch.

Woking winning on the same night.

Scoring the winner in the 90th minute must give a real boost to the team after apparently not playing too well.

Time will tell but as I say a very important win
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I think the players showed they understood the importance but their celebrations after the winning goal and at the end.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

What a terrible first half that was. We were saying that If we lost here probably our most embarrassing league defeat ever. Thankfully Sendles-Shite as we were calling him was taken off and a change made. This is what a proper manager does. The players only had a 5 minute break before sending them out into the cold. The obvious bollocking didnt have an immediate upsurge in performance but we finally had a shot on target. A well taking equaliser soon after thought we would move up a gear but still periods of the game we were poor. When Reid smashed his chance over the bar thought that was it.Thankfully Keating was there to tap in the winner. He certainly I proved things when he came on. Massive celebrations when the goal went in. Still Macdonald nearly decked it up with another bit of showboating. However he knows he is playing every week as no competition for him now
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Sendles-White was injured.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

How many times have the league leaders pitched up at Plainmoor throughout the years, whilst we were battling for survival, & looked decidedly average ?
This is what potential champions do, win ugly, find a result from somewhere deep down.
Well done Tufc, we'll look back at this result at the end of the season & maybe it might be the one that wins us the damned thing.
So no moaning from me me as I've been on the other side of these performances too many times to worry
Coyy
Wokingham Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Rosenior

Post by Wokingham Gull »

We were not as lucky as Woking, when they played at East Thurrock. Woking won 1 - 0 with a 97th minute penalty. It will also be interesting to see how Billericay get on there on Saturday, we may start to look at this as a fine win against a very difficult home side. But I am a glass half full sort of chap.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Doubt it - they put everything into last nights game and ultimately got beat. Part time team playing their third game in 7 days - hard to see them raising it again on Saturday.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Football is a very unpredictable and frustrating sport. Some moaned on Saturday when dulwich scored 2 goals, i was more happier we had already scored 5. No team in any league will win big every game. East Thurrock are fighting for survival, so we have to expect a fight. Massive win last night. It’s not as if Woking are hammering teams, they are scraping wins. It’s certainly going to be an interesting finale
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I think the next trip to Essex - Billericay - is likely to be even more of a fight.