East Thurrock v Torquay United PP to 26.2.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

East Thurrock v Torquay United PP to 26.2.19

Post by standupsitdown »

Just down the road for me but I never thought I’d be watching Torquay United play at East Thurrock.

One of many clubs in this area of Essex & East London, East Thurrock play at Rookery Hill, a small ground in Corringham on the edge of the Thames marshes. The nearest station is Stanford-le-Hope on the C2C line from Fenchurch Street but it’s a couple of miles to the ground. I’ve never been there but understand there is some parking nearby.

Their average crowd is about 250 so we should outnumber the home fans yet again.

East Thurrock are currently 19th in the league so this really has to be an away win.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

Tempted to drive over! I'm sure we will have a good following from the London exiles, like we did at Dulwich.

This is a game we really should win and of course need to if we want to win the league.

I'll go East Thurrock 1-3 TUFC
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

I can’t wait, providing the game is on! The weather this week looks so sketchy, could be raining, snowing, sleeting, who knows!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Ok after Saturday life is great and before I leave for the USA, East Thurrock here I come unfortunately I will be Billy no mates as friends not making the journey.
I assume no segregation so where should I head toobonce at the ground?? Any tips greatly appreciated?
Come in you Gulls!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

It's icy in Essex today but forecast to be (just) above zero on Saturday.
There won't be segregation. It's one of those grounds where supporters change ends at half time (like Chelmsford where we upset them by refusing to move!).
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

standupsitdown wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 09:10 It's icy in Essex today but forecast to be (just) above zero on Saturday.
There won't be segregation. It's one of those grounds where supporters change ends at half time (like Chelmsford where we upset them by refusing to move!).
However... unlike Chelmsford, The Rocks really do get measly support for this level - their highest attendance this season in Corringham has been for the visit of Woking when just over 500 attended and the lowest being 154 for the game against Whitehawk... so I don't think there'll be too many locals being upset if The Yellow Army refuse to move from the most odd looking 'stands' behind one end (yes, 'stands' as there are two of them either side of the goal. Rookery Hill is a mish-mash of stands/seats/flat terracing which will be a real eye-opener for some.

I remember the Maidenhead game last season when a fellow Gull stated his amazement/disgust at the level we had dropped to (a few expletives were used in his colourful description of York Road)... well, this is the level we're at now and it is a league we must get out of at the first attempt so we can once again travel to the likes of Maidenhead et al.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

etu stands.png
Get there early if you want to get a place!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

East Thurrock United have been on a good run only losing 1 of their last 6 matches a narrow 1-0 defeat at Bath City.
They do not score many goals and last Saturday at Eastbourne their 2 goals were a penalty and a goalkeeping error.
We should have too much fire power for them. 3-0 to United is my prediction.
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

United62 wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 15:49 etu stands.png

They might want to remove that bin for Saturday also....
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

I'm in London and like the rest of the country it's freezing. Last forcast I heard was for snow / ice tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully Saturday will be ok for travel. Hopefully a big turnout from the yellow army and 3 more points!! Any tips for parking?
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

fred wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 20:53 I'm in London and like the rest of the country it's freezing. Last forcast I heard was for snow / ice tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully Saturday will be ok for travel. Hopefully a big turnout from the yellow army and 3 more points!! Any tips for parking?
Yes, always engage your handbrake!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

United62 wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 15:49 etu stands.png

pahaha is that the bus stop?

I'm in Sevenoaks with work right now and it's very snowy here and very cold. Hope the game stays on.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Ebbsfleet Home game with Hartlepool already postponed due to frozen pitch.

Long journey if match at East Thurrock is in any doubt.

I guess team are travelling up today if pitch is OK.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

I'm near Sevenoaks right now (not a million miles from Ebbsfleet's ground) and the weather has been horrendous this morning (still snowing) and last night saw temperatures of around -8°. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have a bit of warmer weather later on (and tomorrow morning) so that our game goes ahead otherwise it'll be a long trek from Torquay on a Tuesday night around the M25 for those travelling up.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I'm optimistic that it will go ahead. There is very little snow where I live in Essex (Upminster) or work (Purfleet), both of which are about ten miles from East Thurrock's ground. It's above zero now and forecast to be between plus 1 & 4 degrees between now and 3pm Saturday. I'm seeing a friend at lunchtime who lives very close to the ground so I'll get an update from her then and post that later.

To add - I've just been outside to check. It's +2 degrees, raining lightly and the ground here isn't frozen.
Last edited by standupsitdown on 01 Feb 2019, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.