BBC Radio Devon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

BBC Radio Devon

Post by sgf »

Just looking to gauge opinion here..

The BBC have started showing a bit more interest lately, much to my annoyance. The way they dumped us after relegation was, in my opinion, a disgrace.

We have larger gates then most of the teams above and some in League two, making their "lack of interest" reasoning laughable.

So, as we near the end of the season and the title run-in, do the club involve them? Do we let them back in if we get back in to the national League?

I think the in house radio has worked quite well and I personally would tell them to jog on.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

I agree, tell them to get stuffed.
TUST No 278
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

True they've been a disgrace, the trouble is as much as they're disliked any publicity is good publicity.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

No they should be told to get stuffed.
The in house service has come on leaps & bounds through the season & is as good as or even better than anything the british bloated corporation can offer us.
Feck off BBC you treated us like a leper colony when we fell to our lowest level ever, now ( to your surprise no doubt ) you want to jump back on the band wagon, so much for supporting your local communities interests.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

We have a very good in-house commo team. The BBC showed their contempt for TUFC and we should return the favour. Even if they decide to restart commo I will never listen to them again and stick by our own. So a big get stuffed BBC from me!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

In this day and age of technology, do we even need the the BBC there? I for one listened to the live commentary yesterday and it was great. Could easily listen to that anywhere with the internet now, even in the car.

Not sure though if it just cutting our nose off to spite our face?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Midlandgull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 10:31 In this day and age of technology, do we even need the the BBC there? I for one listened to the live commentary yesterday and it was great. Could easily listen to that anywhere with the internet now, even in the car.

Not sure though if it just cutting our nose off to spite our face?
Yes I'd agree with your last sentence there Midland.
We'd probably get bypassed for live coverage of a lucrative televised game because of the BBC's narrow mindedness.
One good way to show your feelings towards them would be not to tune in to their station & seriously affect their listening figures.
We do have the upper hand on that score.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

They've been the same as Judas showing their true colours but like anything as much publicity as possible good or bad puts a face or product out there and can bring in new fans,sponsors etc so in the long run as two faced as the BBC is I still think its a necessary evil.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Flip your thinking on its head. Let them come down - we will all listen to TUFC radio and keep it in house but the BBC being there will allow for more publicity and sponsorship etc as Teigngull says. In a nutshell, use the BBC to generate cash for TUFC whilst having no affection towards them.
paigull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by paigull »

I agree with boycotting them but I have a couple of older friends who don’t have the internet & rely on radio devon for updates of the scores, even if they have to listen other commentary. There must be lots of people in this situation who don’t have the internet.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness any publicity is good publicity so if radio devon do cover us its going to reach a wider audience than in house radio.

Trouble is their boss Mark Grinnell is more interested in latching on to any z list celebrity who will talk to him on than bothering with Torquay United as he obviously doesn't even know what shape a football is. You should see some of his tweets - the blokes an embarrassment.

I did listen in to the second Truro match when they managed to go off air and miss the second Torquay goal with technical issues. They then got the feed back only to go off air and when they came back they had only missed the third fecking goal as well.

What a cowboy outfit.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

I think the club's done an excellent job when it comes to providing commentary this season. I was expecting there to be no end of problems but from the start it's worked well.

Contrast this to the one game which was broadcast on BBC Radio Devon, the Truro game on New Years Day I think it was. The feed cut out three times for significant lengths of time and they missed three of our goals.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

paigull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 11:06 I agree with boycotting them but I have a couple of older friends who don’t have the internet & rely on radio devon for updates of the scores, even if they have to listen other commentary. There must be lots of people in this situation who don’t have the internet.
That’s a very good point and it is those listeners who have suffered the most from the BBC’s decision not to cover us this season. We could do with the maximum amount of coverage possible and I would imagine if we go up then the BBC will revert to commentating on every game. I like the commentary teams provided by both services. Both are of a very good standard.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

The BBC commentary was never up to much, you had Julian gaunt who made you feel pretty depressed about the whole thing, or you'd have others talking on about the opposition squad and how nice the ground was looking, then you'd hear a cheer and have to wait ages to find out what the cheering was about!
BBC? As they say in Scotland "get tae fook"
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

You are going back a bit there, Porky. Julian Gaunt passed away in 2015.