Jamie Reid

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Jamie Reid

Post by smw89 »

As we see a lot of the team have committed to new contracts. What is the situation with Jamie Reid as I thought that when we signed him on a free last January it was on an 18 month deal which will therefore be ending this summer.

Any news on this?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Apparently interest from a lge 1 club situated on the south coast that we have close ties with !
This is from someone situated near to potential suitors.
Will probably happen if the deal is right for TUFC by allowing JR to remain @ United for rest of season .
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

We have to get better at tying our best players down - Johnson has done some great work recently!

But historically we are not strong enough is this regard. I was watching Accrington v Derby and remembered a certain Billy Kee - they're flying in League 1 and he played well too v Derby. He's scored a shed-load for Accrington - anyway according to Wiki we sold him to Burton for £20k. That is criminal in my opinion.

Every time we have a good player we should be looking at achieving maximum money in the long run. So perhaps having options for extensions in our contracts giving TUFC the power? Then also ensuring sell on clauses and appearance clauses etc. Exeter City have mastered this and it has really worked well - steady investment back into the ground, training facilities etc. They are selling players for £750k+ for the last few years now.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

There should be sell on clauses for most players that's often the lifeblood of survival for most small clubs.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Billy did have emotional issues settling here in Devon & it's well documented he's had mental health problems more recently.
But yes I whole heartedly agree historically we do let our best players go very cheaply, a bad trait we need to get out of if we're to survive this level.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Teigngull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 10:48 Billy did have emotional issues settling here in Devon & it's well documented he's had mental health problems more recently.
But yes I whole heartedly agree historically we do let our best players go very cheaply, a bad trait we need to get out of if we're to survive this level.
Mind you £125,000 from Swindon for Elliot Benyon was a good deal!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

One of the problems, is the short term contracts we are giving the players.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Teigngull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 09:09 Apparently interest from a lge 1 club situated on the south coast that we have close ties with !
This is from someone situated near to potential suitors.
Will probably happen if the deal is right for TUFC by allowing JR to remain @ United for rest of season .
Pompey or Argyle, then.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Work this one out, with a view to next season & having a certain young goalkeeper back on loan for another year, with the knowledge that 2 very decent keepers are a must the higher you go.
I'd say the FRATTONisation going on is good business for all parties concerned.
But we mustn't keep selling ourselves short on the transfer fee front.
I am just the messenger on this one. so please, if you have any doubt or criticism of the info I've shared please keep it to a minimum.
Much appreciated.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Did we get the full amount (£650,000) for Rodney Jack?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think Jamie is ready to move up 4 levels to the Championship (if Portsmouth get promoted)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

It wouldn't surprise me if Reid's previous experiences of abuse from his own supporters is a factor in him wanting away.
If he does go a big concern is that Reid, Janneh and Andrews, our three leading scorers, have scored 36 league goals between them. I can't see the Bristol lads being here next season. It is going to be a hell of job getting replacements for these players.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by smw89 »

I wouldn't say that Jamie Reid should be playing any higher than the conference imo... on the basis of this season alone shouldn't warrant a transfer any higher than the conf, with us hopefully being promoted at the end of the season surely an improved offer and longer term would suit him best as he's torquay born and bred, would hate for him to move up the league's just to waste what talent he has warming the bench, having said that, if he does go then I am more than confident Gary Johnson would get in a like for like replacement...

Would rather Reidy stay though,
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by smw89 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 16:32 It wouldn't surprise me if Reid's previous experiences of abuse from his own supporters is a factor in him wanting away.
If he does go a big concern is that Reid, Janneh and Andrews, our three leading scorers, have scored 36 league goals between them. I can't see the Bristol lads being here next season. It is going to be a hell of job getting replacements for these players.
I would say that Janneh would be here next season promotion depending, just because he is only 19 years old and it would be a good step up for him in the national league. Would be surprised if Opi didn't sign as well.... anyway, in Johnson we trust
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

If Reid goes then Gary Johnson will replace him. The hope is that we will be a national league team come the summer so we will be a more desirable proposition in recruiting. I’m more happy the majority of the team will be at Torquay next season, which somehow suggests we will still be full time what ever happens this season
Lucy