New Year Reflections.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

New Year Reflections.

Post by portugull »

As we start a New Year it is worth looking back over the last 16 weeks since the appointment of Gary Johnson.

What I find most interesting is that Gary has only brought in 4 players one of whom Jamie Sendles- White has not been a regular starter.

The other 3 are loan signings Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and Saikou Janneh and Kalvin Kalala previously with Cheltenham Town.

Five of the current squad were here last season namely Davis, Reid,Keating, Williams (now on loan) and young Olaf Koszela.

The rest of the current squad were all pre- season signings, excluding George Burton who is a bit of a special case, by Gary Owers.

MacDonald, Wynter,Cameron,Hall,Dickson,Essuman,Niate, Nabi, Banton ( on loan at Dulwich) + Andrews and Edwards the latter 2 on loan from Bristol City.

I have not included players who have come and gone.

Under Gary Owers we took 12 points from 27 a win rate of 44.4% Under Gary Johnson we have taken 39 from a possible 45 a win rate of 86.6%

How on earth has this happened with so few changes. Well although Gary only brought in 4 new faces he quickly shipped out several fringe players and Alex Bass was recalled by Portsmouth.

It is all to do with the fact that Gary Johnson not only has a CV with 5 promotions but he is the polar opposite of Gary Owers in terms of personality and mentality.

Ben Wynter made a revealing remark in a recent interview when he said that he recognised as soon as GJ arrived he had to up his game because he did not want to be one of the players being shipped out.

Gary Johnson is a small man in stature but he has an infectious personality which endears him to players and fans.

He never misses a trick. A good example was on NYD when he brought on Keating and switched Kalala to run at Thompson who was already on a yellow. Result 3 points!

He is always thinking and in his head he knows any recruits must be the right recruits because he thinks ahead.

We may be Top of the League but Gary NEVER underestimates the opposition.

Happy New Year Gary from a very grateful fan and to all the squad it is great to see you ALL enjoying your Football. Long may it continue.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Garry Owers got some good players to the club but did not know how to put them together tactically.
Garry Johnson had the experience to see that the players were here and took the job on to a higher level. The two Garry's talked before Garry Johnson took the job.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Yes arcadia I believe they know one another very well.
Sometimes in Football it is experience and personality.
It may seem odd to use Man Utd as an example but Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could not be more different as people and the same goes for the two Garys.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Concur - Gary Owers should be respected for his undoubted contribution to the evolving team quality now being witnessed.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Reassuring too that GJ is thinking ahead in terms of contracts (Kabala and Hall). No doubt he will be working on others. Fantastic result today, hope we can beat Bath next which would be a real bonus.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

Look at the impact of those players brought in. Improved formation, more attacking intent, the settling of all players and I think significantly a level of confidence and experience that we've not seen for some time in our managers. We are in a great position with the Bristol City players as they have a level of both skill and pace unmatched within this league. I would love to see this team with possibly the odd addition to have a crack at the National League should we be promoted. What has been good to see has been the improved fitness, tactics, formations of the players that had been with us prior to GJ and the definition of standards expected/required and the players who left. I think what has been telling isn't just the players added but the players removed from the squad. Got to say he's made what may have been a challenging job appear fairly simple and I can't imagine many managers enjoying their jobs as much as GJ at this point in time. Credit to him and in turn credit to the owners
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I totally agree - GJ is fantastic. The whole side clearly enjoy playing and no matter what level we are at, they are playing flowing football, football that is beautiful to watch. They thoroughly deserve the winning record they have set.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Shangull wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 18:46 Look at the impact of those players brought in. Improved formation, more attacking intent, the settling of all players and I think significantly a level of confidence and experience that we've not seen for some time in our managers. We are in a great position with the Bristol City players as they have a level of both skill and pace unmatched within this league. I would love to see this team with possibly the odd addition to have a crack at the National League should we be promoted. What has been good to see has been the improved fitness, tactics, formations of the players that had been with us prior to GJ and the definition of standards expected/required and the players who left. I think what has been telling isn't just the players added but the players removed from the squad. Got to say he's made what may have been a challenging job appear fairly simple and I can't imagine many managers enjoying their jobs as much as GJ at this point in time. Credit to him and in turn credit to the owners
Can't agree with you more when you mentioned the fitness. :-D
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

A fit for purpose budget should give you fit for purpose players. Johnson is getting the maximum anyone could from his charges unlike Owers who didn't have a clue how to set these players up for the challenge.

What I've enjoyed most is seeing hungry young players with a fantastic team spirit just rising to the challenge on a regular basis. Yes I'm aware of the level we've sunk to but as long as I can watch my team competing the level doesn't worry me too much. My concerns are about what's to come in the near future off the pitch.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Should we get promoted we hopefully can keep GJ's services as long as possible as reckon a first season in the National League will be more about consolidation and a season after that pushing for promotion.Difficult to get promoted two seasons running. As for Osborne's intentions next season that's more uncertain and worrying.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Difficult to get promoted in consecutive seasons but has to be worth a crack rather than consolidating perhaps?
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

True but not easy and depends which players can be retained and what Osborne wants to put into the team which is an unknown factor .
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 01:45 A fit for purpose budget should give you fit for purpose players. Johnson is getting the maximum anyone could from his charges unlike Owers who didn't have a clue how to set these players up for the challenge.

What I've enjoyed most is seeing hungry young players with a fantastic team spirit just rising to the challenge on a regular basis. Yes I'm aware of the level we've sunk to but as long as I can watch my team competing the level doesn't worry me too much. My concerns are about what's to come in the near future off the pitch.
:goodpost:
Dave has it spot on, we can't take our eyes off the 'real man' that is Uncle Clarke.
Enjoy the success on the pitch guys, I certainly will, but keep it all in perspective.
Complacency is a dangerous thing.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I do wonder whether Clarke has realised that he won’t get the land he wants, and so wants to offload; investing in the team to make us more attractive to an investor.

Or perhaps I’m just reading too much into this.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 21:52 I do wonder whether Clarke has realised that he won’t get the land he wants, and so wants to offload; investing in the team to make us more attractive to an investor.

Or perhaps I’m just reading too much into this.
Why does everyone talk of investors? When you invest you expect a return.
Billericay's present on field predicament is due to Tamplin having to cut costs to make it attractive to a perspective buyer. Its simply impossible at this level to make money from a successful football club. If TUFC was sold it is doubtful that a future owner would want to, let alone be able too, flush money down the drain.