Torquay United v Slough Town - 5th January 2019

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Torquay United v Slough Town - 5th January 2019

Post by Midlandgull »

Next up is Slough Town at home on Saturday. We have a much needed break after this with our next game being Bath City away on 19th January, so if we can get over the line with another win, I'd like to think we can come back rejuvenated for the next batch of fixtures.

We've now won 9 in a row! Slough come into this with their form being: D, L, W, W, W, L so pretty good - Truro did beat them within that run at their ground.

Score and attendance predictions?

I'll go for 2-1 to the Gulls and an attendance of 2808.

:scarf:
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

3-1 win.

Same line up, I’d drop Andrews and start Keating.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

4-0

Att: 3k
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A 2-0 win will do me. Since Gary arrived, in 10 home games including Cup games we have yet to keep a clean sheet. I know we look full of goals
but there is always the chance the attack will have an off day. I think we should be shutting some of these teams out. Would be surprised if there is 2800 there for a normal Saturday and the 4th home game in 10 days, be great to see 2500 but more like 2200-2300
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I am reflecting on the Slough away match back in Aug which was a dire 0-0 affair. A time when our strikers couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Not that Slough's offering was better - a part time 'give it a go' outfit who were woeful in front of goal - chances went begging their way, each sent skyward and a missed penalty to boot.

Slough's formation will be no different than most teams that play our quality side now - a defensive two banks of 4 to try and prevent any openings and hope for a successful long ball counter-attack. A few teams are going to come unstuck with this strategy over the whole 90 mins and are going to take a real tanking from us. Come Sat if we can maintain our winning momentum and more importantly our confidence, Slough may regret their day at the seaside.

Sticking my neck out on this one: Torquay 5 Slough 0 - att 2,600
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Andrews didn’t like my comment, judging by twitter 😂 I don’t think he suits playing out on the wing. He’s better in the middle.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Not just Jake, judging by the support he has been given on twitter, your opinion Hammdog is very much in the minority.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I’d rather Jake go back into Centre Midfield but then you’ve gotta drop Hall? I just believe we’re a much better/stronger side with Keating and Kalala ok the wings
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 14:53 3-1 win.

Same line up, I’d drop Andrews and start Keating.
I'm not going to predict the score for Saturday, but one prediction I will confidently make - Jake Andrews will be in the starting eleven (unless he picks up a knock in training or picks up a 'bug').

Slough don't score many goals, but they don't concede many either. I think if we can get an early goal, we could win comfortably. If not, it could end up a dour match - maybe a 1 - 0 or 2 - 0 win as the part-timers tire.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Jake Andrews is one of our best players I can agree, but Keating has to start for me. So we’re either dropping Andrews or Hall
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Someone was writing elsewhere that Keating may be off to Cork City? Andrews will get the nod. Deservedly.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 20:10 Andrews didn’t like my comment, judging by twitter 😂 I don’t think he suits playing out on the wing. He’s better in the middle.
Wow! given that all fans have opinions on player preferences, I am surprised he even gave it the time of day. Jake Andrews along with our other small squad of players have been an integral part of our success since GJ arrival. I for one am grateful for the talent and skill set Jake brings to the side but even more so to his devotion to being a team player with a winning mentality. Least we forget, that is something we have been screaming out for the last couple of seasons. But where he plays and when he plays is not down to us fans, but down to GJ who will make any tactical and personnel decisions to shape the way our side plays football. He will decide the system and he will chose the players. Whilst the momentum miracle of winning continues who is going to challenge and say otherwise.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Mellow.
Whilst I don't agree with Hammdogs opinion, that is what it is - his opinion. That's what this site is all about.
Yes, GJ will make the right decision.
3-0 Torquay Att 2495.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

When Opi Edwards is fit it will further add to the starting line up question. I am sure it will be the same team as NYD . If we keep winning and playing well the players in the team will keep the shirt - simple as that
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 00:39 Wow! given that all fans have opinions on player preferences...
Willowgull wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 07:51 Mellow.
Whilst I don't agree with Hammdogs opinion, that is what it is - his opinion. That's what this site is all about.
Yes, GJ will make the right decision.
3-0 Torquay Att 2495.

Don't disagree, hence my opening comment.