Truro City v TUFC New Years Day Venue Plainmoor.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Apart from the period towards the end of the first half when our teams performance, was at times awful, I think it wasn't a case of our performance being poor, more the case of Truro, who were a big physically strong side making life very hard for our team, that's twice in a week Truro have given us a bloody nose on the way down fair play to them, can see them being midtable come the end, and maybe they could do us favour along the way.

As said that was a hard won 3 points, had the best game Jake Andrews has had for us, however when you've got a side who can score like we can, and when if it's not Reid, it's Janneh scoring, your always going to be in with a chance.

Finally a big shout out to Truro's no 20 Austen Booth, a Torquay lad, former pioneer youth player notably with Chelston JFC, then Watcombe Wanders first team with Breedy, great to see him at such a young age get a start today.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

dennisk wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 16:56 Gate was 2800 (approx) according to TUFC radio, a tough listen. However, fantastic result against a resilient team. COYY
Having just got back from the game, I’d call Truro “uncompromising” and resilient because I’m a fair chap. So “uncompromising” that they were lucky to end the game with ten men, could easily have been eight. Well played the Gulls, now we ARE resilient!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

That's why Truro are good and refreshing for SW football. Good luck to them wherever they play home games. Personally I hope somehow they creep towards the play offs. They gave us two good games and that was always likely - now they have settled and found a bit of form.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Having not been at the Boxing Day match, Truro were a much better side than I expected. They played at quite a high tempo and swarmed our players constantly and quite effectively. Ultimately, I think this approach was also their undoing, as they didn't quite have the level of fitness to keep it up throughout the second half. At the same time, we often looked complacent and why hell our players constantly kicked the ball into the ploughed field that was the Bench side of the pitch is a mystery. But a win is a win and our goals were very well taken. This was far from a vintage performance, though.
TUST member 203
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

At 20 minutes to go I thought we would draw but the extra determination and a transformed Jamie Reid, gave the side the lift it needed with a goal to go on to win. Truro have a well balanced side and their goal came on a brilliant counter attack.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Not the best performance I've seen but another 3pts in the bag. The way Woking r playing we might need to win every match if we want to be champions,if GJ had been here at the beginning of the season no one would catch us.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This is what I never really understand about referees. The commentators seemed to think that Allen was going to get a straight red for a two footed challenge on Davis.

Having listened to both games in both matches the commentators kept referring to their striker Lewington leading with his elbows consistently. Lo and behold late in the second game he got booked for an elbow.

Obviously Thompson had to be sent off but cynical tackles, elbowing always seems to go unpunished but when we play the likes of Boreham Wood the opposition practically got Keating sent off.

However great Truro were we scored SEVEN against them in two games so lets get things in perspective - they were were given a good hiding in both games.

As for their goal being brilliant - well listening to the commentary they hadn't got out of their half for six minutes so I'd say it was against the run of play. Seemed like they frustrated us with their constant fouling but got their come uppance in the end.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I predicted yesterday a 3-1 win and blow me down got it right. The second recent prediction which was spot on. Very rare.
As we waited in line to go through the Bristows turnstiles I was interviewed by BBC Spotlight.
What a surprise! I thought BBC had forgotten we existed. On air Friday 6.30.
Truro gave us a real battle today but in so doing must have picked up at least 6 yellow cards and one red.
12 wins and 3 draws in the League since Gary arrived is amazing and the Form Table on Flashscore for the last 15 games shows us 8 points better than Woking.
Jamie Reid was my MOTM today. Well done Jamie.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

If I never see Truro again at Plainmoor it will be too soon, primarily for the damage that the extra games have caused to our pitch which judging by the section of playing surface in front of Bristows will not recover this side of the summer. if someone had told me they had seen our first team falling out of a nightclub at 4-30 in the morning I would not have been surprised, first half we were truly awful, we could not string two passes together, we spent more time on our arses than we did standing up. Andrews by his usual high standards had an off game.
Truro are an agricultural side who relish playing in the faces of their opposition, I lost count of the bookings and they should have had at least two sending offs this afternoon. We took our sweet time getting to grips with their game plan and only second half were we worthy of the admission price. With the introduction of Keating we actually had someone who could hold the ball up, Reid for all his other talents is not versed in this skill and was bullied by their centre half every time he tried but cannot complain about his two goals.
Come Saturday we need to be far more effective if we are to continue our unbeaten run.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gary Johnson on 3-1 win . . .
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

I think 110% Andrews was played in the wrong position, hes not a left winger he is more of a player straight down the middle that's the position he likes and can play rather than left wing
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

For the last three games with Keating's suspension needed covering and no Dickson about either have had Kalala on the other wing. He isn't as effective as on the left but as soon as that change came on it was much different. He set one up and scored the other in no time at all
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Best away support ever for this league?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

9 straight wins new club record set.
The big question can we win every game until the end of season?? LESS pressure will we go the rest of season unbeaten?
GJ 2018/19 INVINCIBLES!!! We will be talking about this team for many years to come.
GJ marching us back to the football league.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:04 9 straight wins new club record set.
The big question can we win every game until the end of season?? LESS pressure will we go the rest of season unbeaten?
GJ 2018/19 INVINCIBLES!!! We will be talking about this team for many years to come.
GJ marching us back to the football league.
One step at a time please, let's get out of THIS league first.