Truro City v TUFC New Years Day Venue Plainmoor.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well that was a bit of a struggle.Truro were better than Boxing Day and we definitely looked a bit
jaded and lacking in sharpness and tempo . Perhaps a two week break after Saturday will do us good.The pitch needs a rest too .Reidys two finishes were excellent, he can certainly strike the ball well , either by drilling it as the first or a sidefoot/instep placement with power like the second which he does very well. We were the better team and deserved the win but it was a tough game.I didn't think it was going to be our day with 15 to go
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

How will the pitch get a rest? Truro have a home match on Tuesday 8th v St Albans.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Considering the injuries and suspensions I think GJ and the squad have done a good job so far over these festive fixtures. We haven't played well however we have won.
What GJ does well is using his squad. Introducing and rotating players when necessary. Keeping as much as he can everybody playing their part.
I thought JSW played a lot better today in defence, Evans slots back in easily. Jake Andrews didn't have his best game however he did a job in a wider left role. We all know he's more productive more centrally.
Reid had a very good game and contrary to what some posters write I think he does a good job of holding the ball up. Today I thought Janner was too far away from Reid which caused the link up play between them less effective. Two really good goals from Reid today.
Once again in spells Kalala is unplayable, ask Nail Thompson.
To me we have that winning mentality, we believe that we can score, that is a winning mentality created by GJ.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 18:27 This is what I never really understand about referees. The commentators seemed to think that Allen was going to get a straight red for a two footed challenge on Davis.

Having listened to both games in both matches the commentators kept referring to their striker Lewington leading with his elbows consistently. Lo and behold late in the second game he got booked for an elbow.

Obviously Thompson had to be sent off but cynical tackles, elbowing always seems to go unpunished but when we play the likes of Boreham Wood the opposition practically got Keating sent off.

However great Truro were we scored SEVEN against them in two games so lets get things in perspective - they were were given a good hiding in both games.

As for their goal being brilliant - well listening to the commentary they hadn't got out of their half for six minutes so I'd say it was against the run of play. Seemed like they frustrated us with their constant fouling but got their come uppance in the end.
I'll rise to your bait!

You weren't there Brucie and we didn't give them a good hiding at all in either game. They scored against us three times and it could easily have been more if they had the finishers that we have. At 4 - 2 in the first leg they had a one on one with MacDonald and if that had gone in it really would have been squeaky bum time. In the second leg it was 1 - 1 for more than half the game time and they had plenty of chances to go back in front. We finished the stronger team in both games but they matched us for great swathes of each of them.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 19:08 If I never see Truro again at Plainmoor it will be too soon, primarily for the damage that the extra games have caused to our pitch which judging by the section of playing surface in front of Bristows will not recover this side of the summer. if someone had told me they had seen our first team falling out of a nightclub at 4-30 in the morning I would not have been surprised, first half we were truly awful, we could not string two passes together, we spent more time on our arses than we did standing up. Andrews by his usual high standards had an off game.
Truro are an agricultural side who relish playing in the faces of their opposition, I lost count of the bookings and they should have had at least two sending offs this afternoon. We took our sweet time getting to grips with their game plan and only second half were we worthy of the admission price. With the introduction of Keating we actually had someone who could hold the ball up, Reid for all his other talents is not versed in this skill and was bullied by their centre half every time he tried but cannot complain about his two goals.
Come Saturday we need to be far more effective if we are to continue our unbeaten run.
Got a picture for those not there. The extra games are taking its toll on the field now...
FE59BD25-50DB-4C38-BF4D-146119187636.jpeg
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

There's was a superb goal. Great run, great cross, great header.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Good game in the end, was made to work for it though, Truro were no push overs. Thought JSW was lucky to stay on the pitch himself, more than once swun his arm/elbow into the face of the forward, if either ref or Lino saw them he would of walked
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Louis wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 21:10 Got a picture for those not there. The extra games are taking its toll on the field now...
FE59BD25-50DB-4C38-BF4D-146119187636.jpeg
In addition to this, TorquayTalk took this picture from the bench and you can really view the state of the pitch from it (hope they don't mind me sharing!):

https://x.com/TORQUAYTALK/status/1080122070296657925
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gateman - If this - if that blah blah blah blah blah. 4-2 and 3-1 Scored 7 and conceded 3. That's pretty comprehensive in my book.

Truro scored first in both games and still ended up getting hammered. In the first game we were 4-1 up so to suggest they were somehow in the game is just nonsense.

I take it you nodded off when Keating hit the crossbar - if that had gone in it would have been 4-1 again today. Blimey short of winning 10-0 every week what do you want us to do?

Playing on that disgrace of a pitch obviously suited the Truro clodhoppers and negated are fast paced game - but in reality they never really got anywhere near us.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

75 minutes in, the home fans were restless, frustrated, shouting at the players and personally I was not confident we were going to win it. If that had gone on for any longer, it would only have got worse and worse. The second goal was nicely timed for us, and then Truro looked tired in the last 15. At 1-1 they would have carried on time-wasting, had an extra lift and who knows how it would have finished. Until we got the third it was not over, and we needed two long range strikes to get in front. No-one at the game would describe that as a comfortable or comprehensive win.

Like Saturday, a win is fantastic, but the performance wasn't as good as they have been recently. It looked a bit disjointed in attack, and quite a few of the players tried to do too much themselves or score a wondergoal, when there was a simpler pass on. After Saturday I think a fortnight off will do us a world of good, and the pitch will probably like it as well.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Newsflash!! Armchair fan tells attending fan how the game went :rofl:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Ferrrr187
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Are Hall

Post by Ferrrr187 »

Gulliball wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 22:53 75 minutes in, the home fans were restless, frustrated, shouting at the players and personally I was not confident we were going to win it. If that had gone on for any longer, it would only have got worse and worse. The second goal was nicely timed for us, and then Truro looked tired in the last 15. At 1-1 they would have carried on time-wasting, had an extra lift and who knows how it would have finished. Until we got the third it was not over, and we needed two long range strikes to get in front. No-one at the game would describe that as a comfortable or comprehensive win.

Like Saturday, a win is fantastic, but the performance wasn't as good as they have been recently. It looked a bit disjointed in attack, and quite a few of the players tried to do too much themselves or score a wondergoal, when there was a simpler pass on. After Saturday I think a fortnight off will do us a world of good, and the pitch will probably like it as well.
Completely agree but the last 20 minutes we showed our class. I suppose that's the benefit in being full time is that we can pull it out of the bag if needed at the end of games. I thought the first Truro to game we played well but not sure what's happened in the 2nd and the Gloucester match. I'm sure it will all come good again come Saturday! In Gary Johnson we trust!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

gateman49 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 21:00 I'll rise to your bait!

You weren't there Brucie and we didn't give them a good hiding at all in either game. They scored against us three times and it could easily have been more if they had the finishers that we have. At 4 - 2 in the first leg they had a one on one with MacDonald and if that had gone in it really would have been squeaky bum time. In the second leg it was 1 - 1 for more than half the game time and they had plenty of chances to go back in front. We finished the stronger team in both games but they matched us for great swathes of each of them.
I nearly bit but have now I agree. :keepie:
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

nickbrod wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:41 How will the pitch get a rest? Truro have a home match on Tuesday 8th v St Albans.
Masters said he would make a decision after yesterdays game as to if/when Truro return to Cornwall. Any news yet!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

nickbrod wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:41 How will the pitch get a rest? Truro have a home match on Tuesday 8th v St Albans.
That will be a record attendance!