Truro City v TUFC New Years Day Venue Plainmoor.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Ah Beesands Rovers away, always in Jan or Feb it seemed, where one corner of the pitch was higher than the cross bar ! Great games great times then back to the Cricket inn for pints of, maybe, Toby Jug or Double Diamond !!!!! 😃
What a life what a time never to be replicated ever .
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Southampton Gull wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 10:58 I remember those clubs with fondness from my childhood days. My father and uncle used to play for Dartmouth YMRC and I well remember the Beesands pitch and it's proximity to the beach. Happy times and some lifelong memories.
I seem to remember Dartmouth YMRC playing on Coronation Rec - they then amalgamated with DUFC.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yes, on Coronation Park. Can remember the old changing rooms under the arches before the pavillion was built. Old tin baths, used to jump in with my Dad after a game and then a trip to the Seale Arms until my Mum dragged me off home. Nowadays my Dad would probably have social services after him for daring to bathe with his son. How I miss those times now he's unfortunately suffering with asbestosis.

Derbies with United were so fierce back then, even though it was usually only Utd's reserves.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I once attended a home match of Dit's'm (Dittisham) United. Probably mid-late 60s but not certain.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

wivelgull wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:03 I once attended a home match of Dit's'm (Dittisham) United. Probably mid-late 60s but not certain.
Got a feeling Dit's'm were only formed (or maybe reformed) in the early 1970's-their manager at the time,Vic Andrews, used to manage the Cash and Carry in Dartmouth where I worked in the school holidays.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

For those who played in the S. Devon league, i have just been informed that the popular local Referee Pete Foxon(Paignton) has recently passed away. I remember Pete very well with his pipe and great sun tan in the winter.
Local-Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Benefield

Post by Local-Gull »

tomogull wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 00:42 Also played at Marldon's ground. Very friendly club, SBP - and obviously good oranges! I seem to remember that the farmer who owned the land rented it to the club but when he sold up and retired from farming, the mean sod who bought the land refused to let the club continue playing there. :devil:
If it's the ground that is just off the Ipplepen Road at the top of the hill on the left, it was actually the people in the house adjacent to the pitch/field who bought it because they were fed up with ball coming into their garden! They still own it and Marldon have no pitch in the village at all!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

tomogull wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 00:42 Ha - no, Wivel. But I well remember playing against them on their pitch just yards away from the beach on a January day with a bitter east wind blowing off the sea. I've never been so cold - perishin' it was.

Also played at Marldon's ground. Very friendly club, SBP - and obviously good oranges! I seem to remember that the farmer who owned the land rented it to the club but when he sold up and retired from farming, the mean sod who bought the land refused to let the club continue playing there. :devil:
Yep that was called Grassy Tor, park at Hills yard and walk through the lane. I use to frequently have to run and retrieve the ball over the cattle wire. Occasionally when the farmer was using the pitch they had to move to a pitch opposite Beacon hill tv transmitter. that was horrendous when the wind was blowing.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I'd imagine Dartmouth Rec v Dartmouth United games were pretty tasty! See Chino Collins a bit playing darts, now there was a fine SDL striker!!!
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 15:34 I'd imagine Dartmouth Rec v Dartmouth United games were pretty tasty! See Chino Collins a bit playing darts, now there was a fine SDL striker!!!
Yes,there were brothers and friends/neighbours playing against each other and feuds between some families from Townstal which carried on long after the games were over!
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

SBP wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:49 For those who played in the S. Devon league, i have just been informed that the popular local Referee Pete Foxon(Paignton) has recently passed away. I remember Pete very well with his pipe and great sun tan in the winter.
That’s sad news. He was always a good ‘homer’ for us at STC Colts; probably since his son Richard played for us as well. RIP
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Bxm Foxy wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 15:34 I'd imagine Dartmouth Rec v Dartmouth United games were pretty tasty! See Chino Collins a bit playing darts, now there was a fine SDL striker!!!
Another of my Uncle's although he played mainly for Utd before moving to Upton and his younger brother Dave was a stalwart Rec player.
Dave

Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Yeah definitely a United man. Good bloke Chino, and possibly the best SDL striker my old man played against he reckons.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I remember my Dad and other uncle were always trying to get him to sign for Rec but he was way too good for them. Bill Huxley was a great goalkeeper and played at Upton with him for years.
Dave

samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Yep, shame about Dartmouth YMRC, the football club went and so did the premises. The Seale Arms Dave is also closed. How about Dittisham, the richest club in Devon, what a pitch.