Truro City v TUFC New Years Day Venue Plainmoor.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

grockle wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:25 One step at a time please, let's get out of THIS league first.
Grockle I was taking it one step at a time, I was going to write GJ marching us all the way to the Premier league!!!! :lol:
9 in a row that is some form..
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Then we WILL have to move!!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

"Today's attendance is..."

BBC article on our away support:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46731977
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 22:37 Gateman - If this - if that blah blah blah blah blah. 4-2 and 3-1 Scored 7 and conceded 3. That's pretty comprehensive in my book.

Truro scored first in both games and still ended up getting hammered. In the first game we were 4-1 up so to suggest they were somehow in the game is just nonsense.

I take it you nodded off when Keating hit the crossbar - if that had gone in it would have been 4-1 again today. Blimey short of winning 10-0 every week what do you want us to do?

Playing on that disgrace of a pitch obviously suited the Truro clodhoppers and negated are fast paced game - but in reality they never really got anywhere near us.
No, I rose to my feet when Keating hit the bar and, contrary to other opinions, when he came on he made a significant impact contributing to one of the second half goals. By the way, the pitch isn't a disgrace either.

I'm glad that we can at least agree that TUFC are 'us'.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Anyone who was at Plainmoor for the two Truro games instead of 'watching' them on the radio will know that neither game was a walkover. In the Boxing Day game, Truro missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 4 - 3 about five minutes from the end which would have resulted in a nervy end to the match because Truro were throwing everything at us at that stage. Yesterday, I didn't think we played particularly poorly. It was more to do with Truro players closing us down very quickly which was obviously part of their game plan. Also, I didn't think Truro were over physical. Yes - there was a dangerous tackle on Liam Davis which probably should have resulted in a straight red card. But overall, I thought the ref was too card happy. I think most fair-minded fans on the Pop side would agree that Niall Thompson's first booking was very, very harsh. A foul yes - but not a bookable tackle.

Our fitness told in the end and two goals in the last 15 minutes came as Truro players visibly wilted. Up until then, the match could have gone either way. I agree with Gateman that Keating did make a difference when he came on. A shame he didn't get on the score sheet. Full credit to Truro for their part in providing two very entertaining games. They will be okay this season - mid-table at least.

You can't find fault with a team that has won nine games on the trot, but whereas most MOM posters put Kalala in their top five, he was not in mine. He is a very good player and scored a good goal, but he is also a frustrating player because he runs into trouble too often instead of releasing the ball earlier. A flaw in his game which he has to work on. Whilst it is great to see goals flying in, credit has to be given to the defence which is still the meanest in the league. As a defender many years ago in about Div 6 of the South Devon league, I appreciate good defensive play. Our back four, especially Kyle Cameron, have been immense all season and since Gary Johnson's arrival, we have seen what a good player Ben Wynter can be. And despite my initial doubts, Kiate has also shown he is a very capable central defender.

On the subject of the state of the ground, is it because of the wet weather and too many matches being played, or is it partly to do with a replacement groundsman not being appointed yet? Chris Relph was a terrific asset to the club and I think he is already being missed.
Ferrrr187
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Are Hall

Post by Ferrrr187 »

tomogull wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:23 Anyone who was at Plainmoor for the two Truro games instead of 'watching' them on the radio will know that neither game was a walkover. In the Boxing Day game, Truro missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 4 - 3 about five minutes from the end which would have resulted in a nervy end to the match because Truro were throwing everything at us at that stage. Yesterday, I didn't think we played particularly poorly. It was more to do with Truro players closing us down very quickly which was obviously part of their game plan. Also, I didn't think Truro were over physical. Yes - there was a dangerous tackle on Liam Davis which probably should have resulted in a straight red card. But overall, I thought the ref was too card happy. I think most fair-minded fans on the Pop side would agree that Niall Thompson's first booking was very, very harsh. A foul yes - but not a bookable tackle.

Our fitness told in the end and two goals in the last 15 minutes came as Truro players visibly wilted. Up until then, the match could have gone either way. I agree with Gateman that Keating did make a difference when he came on. A shame he didn't get on the score sheet. Full credit to Truro for their part in providing two very entertaining games. They will be okay this season - mid-table at least.

You can't find fault with a team that has won nine games on the trot, but whereas most MOM posters put Kalala in their top five, he was not in mine. He is a very good player and scored a good goal, but he is also a frustrating player because he runs into trouble too often instead of releasing the ball earlier. A flaw in his game which he has to work on. Whilst it is great to see goals flying in, credit has to be given to the defence which is still the meanest in the league. As a defender many years ago in about Div 6 of the South Devon league, I appreciate good defensive play. Our back four, especially Kyle Cameron, have been immense all season and since Gary Johnson's arrival, we have seen what a good player Ben Wynter can be. And despite my initial doubts, Kiate has also shown he is a very capable central defender.

On the subject of the state of the ground, is it because of the wet weather and too many matches being played, or is it partly to do with a replacement groundsman not being appointed yet? Chris Relph was a terrific asset to the club and I think he is already being missed.
I don't think Kalala gets the credit he deserves he's great on the ball and incredibly skillfull. His final ball maybe 2 or 3 times went astray in the NYD game. But overall he was making decent passes as well as taking players out of the game. Connor similarly can try and take on to many and get himself into trouble at times. I thought Kalala fitness seemed to struggle a bit and didn't seem as lively in the second half but still played well. When you think of this and the division above I think he's going to probe to be a massive asset over time. I love watching him play.
The ground is definitely not the fault of the new groundsman. The bad weather coupled with the fact it's had over double the amount of games it should have has taken its toll. I think the current groundspeople are doing an awesome job to get it in the state it is.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not sure what any groundsman regardless of how good they are could be doing with the pitch at the moment other than staying off it, pray for more dry weather with temperatures in the 70,s and an all weather covering. As that is unlikely to occur then we can only hope that Masters takes his stormtroopers back to Cornwall.
Surely if he can terminate the contract early if he so wishes then we must have the same termination clause and we should use it.
We now play fast attacking football where a good playing surface is critical to its success, if Truro stay at Plainmoor then I worry that come the critical stage of the season we will be playing on the Somme.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

culmstockgull wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 14:08 Not sure what any groundsman regardless of how good they are could be doing with the pitch at the moment other than staying off it, pray for more dry weather with temperatures in the 70,s and an all weather covering. As that is unlikely to occur then we can only hope that Masters takes his stormtroopers back to Cornwall.
Surely if he can terminate the contract early if he so wishes then we must have the same termination clause and we should use it.
We now play fast attacking football where a good playing surface is critical to its success, if Truro stay at Plainmoor then I worry that come the critical stage of the season we will be playing on the Somme.
Terminating the contract will lose us the use of the luxury team coach that is TCFC's, will we go back to chugging to & fro to away games in a u no bus or players cars again ?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:04 9 straight wins new club record set.
The big question can we win every game until the end of season?? LESS pressure will we go the rest of season unbeaten?
GJ 2018/19 INVINCIBLES!!! We will be talking about this team for many years to come.
GJ marching us back to the football league.
There are only two clubs that can win this division; us or Woking. What concerns me is that both sides are going to go at it hammer and nails till game 42, then one will be champions and the other will be totally spent and fail miserably in the play offs, it's happened before were there have been two equally matched run away leaders in the same division in the same season.
Woking have two games in hand on us and also have a larger first team squad. I really worry the ten games before Owers was sacked are going to cost us dearly.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It goes without saying we must win again on Saturday. With Woking not playing a 5 point lead would put extra pressure on them to beat Welling on wednesday. I know they say it's better to have the points rather than games in hand but when it's a team at the top and only a 2 point lead with having played 2 games more I would rather be in Wokings position ! We must try and increase the goal difference too which is worth an extra valuable point
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just to add Plainmoor 78 , yes it happened last season when Havant won it on goal difference with 86 points from Dartford who were 12 pts clear of third and Dartford didn't even make the play off final
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Was it the great Beesands Rovers you played for, tomogull?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

tomogull wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:23 Anyone who was at Plainmoor for the two Truro games instead of 'watching' them on the radio will know that neither game was a walkover. In the Boxing Day game, Truro missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 4 - 3 about five minutes from the end which would have resulted in a nervy end to the match because Truro were throwing everything at us at that stage. Yesterday, I didn't think we played particularly poorly. It was more to do with Truro players closing us down very quickly which was obviously part of their game plan. Also, I didn't think Truro were over physical. Yes - there was a dangerous tackle on Liam Davis which probably should have resulted in a straight red card. But overall, I thought the ref was too card happy. I think most fair-minded fans on the Pop side would agree that Niall Thompson's first booking was very, very harsh. A foul yes - but not a bookable tackle.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon as a young boy watching SD League football back in the 70's, great times, I remember many teams meeting at their local pubs and many players being half cut before ko, changing rooms being smoke filled. I use to cut the oranges up for my local team Marldon Spurs, then walk around with a wooden money box collecting for the club
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 17:51 Was it the great Beesands Rovers you played for, tomogull?
Ha - no, Wivel. But I well remember playing against them on their pitch just yards away from the beach on a January day with a bitter east wind blowing off the sea. I've never been so cold - perishin' it was.

Also played at Marldon's ground. Very friendly club, SBP - and obviously good oranges! I seem to remember that the farmer who owned the land rented it to the club but when he sold up and retired from farming, the mean sod who bought the land refused to let the club continue playing there. :devil:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I remember those clubs with fondness from my childhood days. My father and uncle used to play for Dartmouth YMRC and I well remember the Beesands pitch and it's proximity to the beach. Happy times and some lifelong memories.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com