Torquay United v Gloucester City - 29th Dec

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I think it applies if we want to sign players from EFL clubs.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Very poor performance against possibly the worst side I have seen at Plainmoor in many a season. They had only had four attempts on goal in the first 80 minutes (none on target) compared with our 18 overall (8 on target). Despite this they hit the bar twice (one each half) from crosses and had us under the cosh towards the end, scoring the best goal of the game.

For the second game in a row we had a very good referee and we had him to thank for preserving our lead in injury time.

GJ got it spot on with his post-match interview and, if he is right about the players recognising their under-performances, there may be a rebound on Tuesday. Given Truro's fine win today it sounds like we will need a big improvement to maintain the pressure on Woking.

Well done to the supporters - another 3,000+ crowd and excellent atmosphere despite the poor entertainment.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 23:01 Very poor performance against possibly the worst side I have seen at Plainmoor in many a season. They had only had four attempts on goal in the first 80 minutes (none on target) compared with our 18 overall (8 on target). Despite this they hit the bar twice (one each half) from crosses and had us under the cosh towards the end, scoring the best goal of the game.

For the second game in a row we had a very good referee and [highlight=yellow]we had him to thank for preserving our lead in injury time.[/highlight]

GJ got it spot on with his post-match interview and, if he is right about the players recognising their under-performances, there may be a rebound on Tuesday. Given Truro's fine win today it sounds like we will need a big improvement to maintain the pressure on Woking.

Well done to the supporters - another 3,000+ crowd and excellent atmosphere despite the poor entertainment.
Not sure where you have got that from - the commo's stated it was a clear foul on Shaun.
Good to know the ref (like Boxing Day) was good though - makes a change!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dutchgull wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 21:33 I think it applies if we want to sign players from EFL clubs.
No it doesn't. The EFL window only stops EFL clubs signing players, nothing preventing any players from leaving these clubs to sign for sides in leagues without a window.
Last edited by Jerry on 29 Dec 2018, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 23:09 Not sure where you have got that from - the commo's stated it was a clear foul on Shaun.
Good to know the ref (like Boxing Day) was good though - makes a change!
Sure - but it would not be the first time that a referee missed such a challenge and the point I was making was that they were hardly denied by our superior defensive play - we were shaky in the extreme towards the end.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 23:30 Sure - [highlight=yellow]but it would not be the first time that a referee missed such a challenge and the point I was making [/highlight]was that they were hardly denied by our superior defensive play - we were shaky in the extreme towards the end.
the point I'm making is......he didnt.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Firstly regardless of the performance a win was the most important thing. Getting victories when your not playing at your best is vital.

I thought yesterday that we created many chances and that was a positive. Sure we were wasteful in front of goal however the gulf in class between both teams was very evident. We missed the creative passes from Evans yesterday. JSW hasn't had much game time and that was quite evident. I don't think Jake A is as good playing in that wider role. Him and Janneh were arguing a bit.
Kalala at times is totally unplayable however he was wasteful today. I thought Reid was very good today with his link up play and holding onto the ball. I did miss a good chance which he will be very disappointed about.
I ve been very critical of Ben Wynter however I thought he has improved significantly and his last two performances at home I would have given him MOM.

So considering the players that were not available and the lightweight bench I thought we did ok.

With a full strength squad and playing with the confidence we have I think we are too strong for any team in this league. I think we are well capable of winning this league.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Couldn't make this game as working. Another great result, I know a few are disappointed with the performance, it's the result that counts, keeping a consistent performance level is going to be difficult, the team that grinds out a result when not playing so well isn't going to be far of the top spot at the end.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Another 3 points so congrats to everyone at Torquay. We shouldn’t be disappointed with what seems a below par performance. We can’t steam roll every team regardless of their league position. Thankfully we have a manager that won’t tolerate poor performances even if we are winning, and we have players that are behind him and accepted it was a poor performance.
When forest green got promoted who would have thought we would beat them 4-1 and draw 5-5 away, and wolves beating spurs yesterday highlights how a strange sport football is.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Not a great performance yesterday and a reminder that we are not going to steamroller every team, as lucyx2 points out. We had numerous chances to be leading four or five nil, but we couldn't find that third goal which would have killed them off. Saiko Janneh had a nightmare game in front of goal, but he never stopped working and chasing which was good to see.

There were too many misplaced passes and wrong decision making. We missed Lemonhaig-Evans big time. I thought it was a strange decision to take off Ben Wynter who had a great game, and leave on Sendle-White who was poor. Gloucester had little going forward. Andre Wright contributed nothing for them. I don't understand why he is now such an ineffective player after being such a promising youngster. The back four were in total command. It was in midfield where we were second best.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

SBP wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 12:08 Firstly regardless of the performance a win was the most important thing. Getting victories when your not playing at your best is vital.

I thought yesterday that we created many chances and that was a positive. Sure we were wasteful in front of goal however the gulf in class between both teams was very evident. We missed the creative passes from Evans yesterday. JSW hasn't had much game time and that was quite evident. I don't think Jake A is as good playing in that wider role. Him and Janneh were arguing a bit.
Kalala at times is totally unplayable however he was wasteful today. I thought Reid was very good today with his link up play and holding onto the ball. I did miss a good chance which he will be very disappointed about.
I ve been very critical of Ben Wynter however I thought he has improved significantly and his last two performances at home I would have given him MOM.

So considering the players that were not available and the lightweight bench I thought we did ok.

With a full strength squad and playing with the confidence we have I think we are too strong for any team in this league. I think we are well capable of winning this league.
:goodpost:

Spot on. First half we played well, wasteful in front of goal and Janneh and Kalala seemed to believe that they are going to score from 30 yards at every opportunity. We constantly played the ball over the top which given the pace upfront was productive if a little dull and we didn't really get going in midfield (missing Evans). Second half Gloucester had more possession however didn't create many chances given that possession. It's 3 points during a busy period on a heavy pitch. You can't ask for much more than that. Excellent attendance once again.