Torquay United v Truro City (Boxing Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Local-Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Benefield

Post by Local-Gull »

brucie wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 15:43 Billericay gone to ratshit 3-0 down
5-1 down now!!!!! .. and they're down to 10 men
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

3800 crowd. That's pretty impressive!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

Bloody well done to the crowd, lots more than predicted!!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Thought 3000 but 3800...that's incredible well done. My dad went with by brother who doesn't usually so looks like people bringing people along ..
Fantastic
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Almost back to the 'faithful four thousand', a phrase coined by the Herald Express in the early 60s. The Codgery will recognise the reference.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Amazing attendance. Hopefully the result, atmosphere and position of the table will convince a few hundred to return.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

First home game this season, really enjoyed it. Sat in Bristow's Bench, magnificent view. Pitch just in front of dugouts looks terrible. If any more heavy rain I can foresee future postponements. Let's hope Truro decide to return to Cornwall.3863 crowd, 83 supporting Truro. FANTASTIC! Roll on Saturday.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Fabulous turn out, what a club we are. Gary Johnson at the helm can lead this club up the leagues especially with that kind of following.

We could've scored about 7 or 8, but also perhaps could've conceded 3 or 4. Happy with the result and performance overall, perhaps needed to be a little calmer at times to control the game but it was exciting to watch.

Onwards and upwards, all we can do is keep winning and hope Woking slip up at some point.

:scarf:
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

I fancy we saw that best that Truro had to offer today. They travel to Hungerford on Saturday; I doubt they will have much in their lungs or legs by the time we meet again New Years Day.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Good win today with some fantastic goals. Disappointed with the 2 we conceded and as has been stated could have been about 7-4.
The team always looks like scoring when going forward but I think complacency could be our biggest enemy (Although hasten to add I don’t think for one minute with Gary Johnson at the helm it will be allowed!)
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

A mention of the gate-over 3,800 of which 3,800 were Torquay supporters. Absolutely brilliant for this level!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Not much to add to what has already been posted. As well as the great goals we scored, Truro's goal was well taken. I thought that Niall Thompson had a very good game for them. The Truro players were struggling in the last 15 minutes or so, but they kept going and should have got a third about five minutes before the end. They played much better than the only other time I've seen them play - first game of the season when they were hammered 4 - 0 by Billericay. They will be okay this season.

The game was helped as an entertaining spectacle by a ref who I thought had an excellent game. Easily the best ref we've had at Plainmoor this season. For most of the match, you didn't notice him which is always a sign of a good ref.

One for the statiticians out there; 3863 - is that a record crowd for a National South league game?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I’ve not really got much to add either. First 20 minutes we were very poor. Last 20, we were at times sloppy but still created chances. The bit in between we were streets ahead of the opposition. Kalala was incredibly frustrating in the first 20 minutes but his shot against the bar and goal showcased the other side of his game. Give him the ball and some space in front of him and he will go at the opposition.

Janneh was again quite superb and like his strike partner, possesses bags of energy and graft to go with quickness of feet and the ability to pick a decent pass. Lemonheigh-Evans and Asa Hall in the middle of the park were both working the strings today. All the goals were quality and I don’t think anyone had a bad game. GJ will have been disappointed with certain aspects at the beginning and very end of the game and that won’t be a bad thing.

My ratings as follows:-

MacDonald 6 Did nothing wrong. No chance for the goals.

Wynter 7 He is a much better player than earlier in the season. And he does have Kalala and not Andrews in front of him. I suspect it is easier to play behind Andrews than Kalala. But he keeps talking to his wing-man, as does Asa Hall, throughout the game.
Cameron 7.5 Working his way back and will be getting 8’s and above regularly.
Niate 7 Sponsors MOTM. That surprised me and shouldn’t forget that he was the nearest man for both goals. But he is strong on the ground and our best in the air and will deservedly keep his place over Sendles-White for a while more.
Davis 7.5 I’ve never seen him have a bad game. Simple as that.

Kalala 7.5 He’d have got more if the other side of his game hadn’t been on show early doors, pitch appreciated. He needs a spark to lift his play. Once it comes, and our skipper is bloody good with his encouragement of the young side, he can be at times unplayable.
Hall 8 Bossed it. Also decent in the air. Nice goal.
Lemonheigh-Evans 8 Ditto. And a pick your spot pearler.
Andrews 7.5 Him and CLE are clever players, they really are. They will draw fouls and play delightful balls all day. He wasn’t overhitting anything today.

Janneh 9 Again my MOTM. He’s a cracking player and will terrorise defences at this level before moving up a level or two. Such a grafter, too. Great goal. Always looking to do something positive.
Reid 8 Along with everyone else, was willing him to score. His hold up play and passing game, together with his energy throughout are huge pluses. Him and Janneh are a right handful together. Great movement the pair of them.

We slacked off a bit after the substitutions, and not sure where Sendles-White was playing, possibly defensive central midfield, but it seemed to coincide with us turning off. Not that he did anything wrong.

Olaf also had plenty of energy and was lively when he came on. These minutes won’t do his development any harm. An encouraging Popside throughout for him and the team. A good match for a decent crowd and some cracking goals. When Hall’s third went in it felt as if we might get double figures. That’s a good feeling.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Rjc70 wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 20:22 I’ve not really got much to add either.
Apart from the best post :goodpost:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

exilegull wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 20:26 Apart from the best post :goodpost:
Cheers. :)