Hampton & Richmond Borough V Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Six wins on the bounce! 18 goals for and 3 against.
Best defence in the League conceded just 15 all season.
COYY
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

As some of you will already know I was asked to head up the Security for today's game and I just want to say the fans were an absolute credit to the club today.

We've had a little bit of criticism this season but today it was a pleasure to witness the backing they gave the team and all very well behaved.

Top of the league for Xmas and with another clean sheet. Can't ask for more than that. COYY!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Good to see you, Dave. Happy with the three points today. Thought Lemonheigh-Evans had a poor game until subbed, barring an exquisite pass followed by a great touch and cool finish from Janneh before both departed.

I thought we looked assured in defence throughout and Kalala, Janneh, Reid, and in the second half, Andrews all looked good going forward.

In terms of breaking up play in the middle, that was a one-man job for Hall today, with Connor over hitting passes and looking off the pace for much of the game. H&R went down our middle far too easily at times.

The pass by Andrews for Kalala’s second was also a very good ball. Keeper got a hand to Kalala’s finish. Reidy’s assist for Kalala’s first also good, as was the finish which could easily have been skied as he ran on to it. Just the right amount of pace and precision used for a quality opener.

My ratings:-

MacDonald 6 Didnt do much. Kicking poor.
Wynter 7 Solid
Niate 7.5
Sendles-White 7.5
Davis 7
Kalala 8.5 Calm finish for his first, when could easily have skied it.
Hall 6.5 Worked hard
Lemonheigh-Evans 5 Not at the races
Andrews 7 Good second half
Janneh 8.5 My MOTM. Well taken goal.
Reid 7.5 Good assist for the first. Worked hard throughout.

Subs not on long enough for a rating. Olaf seems reasonably strong for his age. Certainly appeared to be more Gulls than H&R supporters today.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gary Johnson on 3-0 win v Hampton&Richmond
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Sir Alex Ferguson, once claimed "attack wins you games, defence wins you titles" which is why I think Torquay's defence have the title sown up already. Our potent attacks showed up Hampton's defensive frailties whereas Hampton attacks just ran into a solid wall of Torquay defensive dominance. Whilst, it was our 3 goals that keeps us top of the league, it is nonetheless our defensive ability to shut up shop, at will, that make those goals count.

Great support today. On the way to the ground a Hampton fan asked how many Gulls would attend, I answered probably 200 or so being pre-xmas. Was really surprised to see over double that, outnumbering the home fans, many who had left 5 minutes before full time.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 17:24 As some of you will already know I was asked to head up the Security for today's game and I just want to say the fans were an absolute credit to the club today.

We've had a little bit of criticism this season but today it was a pleasure to witness the backing they gave the team and all very well behaved.

Top of the league for Xmas and with another clean sheet. Can't ask for more than that. COYY!!
Nice one Dave. It’s probably worth mentioning that where our fans got a bit giddy is when we played clubs that had zero stewarding and hadn’t planned in advance, WSM and Gloucester springs to mind(although Gloucester was more frustration).
Lucy
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Dave, were you one of the chaps who dealt with that young lad who got kicked out? He came back in a few minutes later and all was good, thought that was a decent bit of stewarding.

And isn’t it weird how people view games differently? Unlike RJC, I thought we didn’t look comfortable at the back at times today, looked very panicky. I do like Sendles-White, but thought we missed Cameron massively, no doubt he’ll be back straight in on Boxing day. Macdonald didn’t help either, this was probably one of his poorer games and his kicking was dreadful.

Going forward we honestly look unreal and front three are streets ahead of this league. Everything about Kalala is impressive, the guy is unplayable at times and Janneh is getting better and better each game.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Hi Si. Yes that was myself in the orange jacket. I just wanted a word with him which was made difficult with a few others trying to help him unnecessarily but he was good as gold. I said I'd let him back in if he promised not to drink any more and to his credit he was very apologetic and well behaved afterwards.

I was actually given more problems by the volunteer stewards at the gate who were very abrupt and rude to a few people. I had them moved and hopefully everyone had an enjoyable day, I certainly did although it was a new experience for me overseeing fans of my own club.

The only trouble came from Taxilady (Nina) who continually abused us for pushing in to get a coffee 😆
Dave

WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Nice one Dave. It’s probably worth mentioning that where our fans got a bit giddy is when we played clubs that had zero stewarding and hadn’t planned in advance, WSM and Gloucester springs to mind(although Gloucester was more frustration).
[/quote]
The reason there was trouble at those two matches was because the so called 'Yoff were there.
They are next due to appear at Bath so I hope Torquay and Bath are aware of this and take neccessary precautions.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I had measures in place had they turned up yesterday and my staff were briefed and ready. We regularly deal with the risk elements at West Ham, Tottenham Reading and Southampton so our band of twenty odd wouldn't have gotten away with anything so as you say let's hope both clubs make plans on how to deal with them. It's not rocket science but unfortunately the standard of staffing is usually down to affordability and individual security companies. We've all witnessed the heavy handed behaviour of the Plymouth stewards over recent years mostly unnecessary but proper planning and professional standards is key to seeing games pass off without incident.

Nothing gave me more pleasure yesterday (result apart) than debriefing the stadium manager and telling him there was nothing to report and that the away fans were extremely well behaved.

Oddly enough we were asked to cover their Boxing Day match against Woking. If I thought we could affect the result I'd have been the first name down. Unfortunately we're at Wembley for Tottenham v Bournemouth.
Dave

Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

A comfortable victory once we went two up , although parts of second half we didn't defend that well and one or two chances for them. Kalala took his first excellently and two good goals elsewhere. God to meet the steward at the game, I think Oxford was last game he saw. What a difference we are now 😄
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 03:03 Hi Si. Yes that was myself in the orange jacket. I just wanted a word with him which was made difficult with a few others trying to help him unnecessarily but he was good as gold. I said I'd let him back in if he promised not to drink any more and to his credit he was very apologetic and well behaved afterwards.

I was actually given more problems by the volunteer stewards at the gate who were very abrupt and rude to a few people. I had them moved and hopefully everyone had an enjoyable day, I certainly did although it was a new experience for me overseeing fans of my own club.

The only trouble came from Taxilady (Nina) who continually abused us for pushing in to get a coffee 😆
I’m no expert, but I guess a quiet word is all it needs sometimes. He got told off, realised he’d been a pain, got let back in and saw out the game, enough said.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Have to agree the away supporters were well stewarded with a soft touch although 99.5 per cent of us were more intent in catching up with the other exiles we had not seen for some time. Where ever you go there will be the odd moron and Torquay has it,s share.
Also, have to agree our defense was at best, shaky yesterday, we were pulled out of position far too easily on many occasions and if they had possessed a half decent finisher then the result could have been somewhat different.
On a totally different topic It is very nice not to have a two day camel ride to away fixtures and believe the full conference should be regionalised, it saves a fortune on travelling for both supporter and club, the attendances would be better, who wants to travel to Guiseley on a Tuesday evening in February,mind you who wants to go to Guiseley, but that apart, I havent worked out the promotion/ relegation scenario,s fully yet but I believe the benefits would far outweigh and negatives.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Culmstock.
I'm with you on the regional issue & would go as far to say that let's even put league 2 & national league premier at the same level but regionalise it to leagues 2 North & south then promote national leagues north & south up a level of the pyramid to leagues 3 north & south .
It'll be 2 up & 3 down with 1 team going up via playoff final winner north p o winner v south p o winner.
With all of these clubs in serious financial difficulty & e.g. Plymouth having to go to Carlisle midweek & Grimsby going to Exeter mid week etc etc .
The footballing pyramid in this country is geared up for the premier league to thrive & in time premier league 2 will come (sooner than we think) , so it's about time the ' pyramid ' was restructured to suit & benefit ALL, it's not a step backwards in my book , it's a realisation that the current system doesn't work.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 11:16 Also, have to agree our defense was at best, shaky yesterday, we were pulled out of position far too easily on many occasions and if they had possessed a half decent finisher then the result could have been somewhat different.

It is indeed strange how some of us see the glass half full whilst other see it half empty when it came to our defensive display yesterday. As for Hampton's lack of a decent finisher, I would remind that Hampton do have the second highest goalscorer in this league in Chris Dickson. a player who took apart Welling with a brace last week-end.

Our defense appeared to me to provide good field positions, which allowed the forwards to start their drive-to-goal in a better position, thus exposing Hampton defensive frailties and allowing us to put 3 goals past them. Our playing style is now much more expansive and will therefore will leave space behind our defense for opposition to exploit. If your liking the attacking football and the results you are seeing, we will have to accept that we will be pulled out of positions on occasions, but this does translate in the defense being shaky. The fact that we have scored 18 and let in only 3 in the last 6 matches shows that we are one of the best counter-pressing sides in this league and this makes up for this, as the ball is often won back quickly before the opponent can exploit these spaces.

If we really want a defense that provides no space at all for the opposition to exploit then we will have to settle for a different formation than the attacking one GJ sets out - maybe an Owers defensive 5-3-2 'lets park the bus' formation is more to some peoples liking.