Torquayunited v Welling United 8/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquayunited v Welling United 8/12/18

Post by lucy6lucy »

Personally I didn’t think this fixture would be a 1 v 2 come December. But probably highlights the unpredictable aspect of this league.
Gary will have had welling watched and will be working on his tactics.
We can only hope that we carry on this unbelievable turnaround under Johnson. 3-1 Torquay
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Gulls 7 Wings 1
Reid hatrick in amongst the goals
Crowd of 2.5k (incl. 40 from Welling)

F*ck it, if we can't be optimistic now, we never will be!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Frustratingly, I very much doubt that this game will go ahead. Truro's match at Plainmoor last Saturday was called off and apart from Tuesday, we've had a lot more rain this week and there's more forecast tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong because we're on a very good run and players confidence must be sky high.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 00:28 Frustratingly, I very much doubt that this game will go ahead. Truro's match at Plainmoor last Saturday was called off and apart from Tuesday, we've had a lot more rain this week and there's more forecast tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong because we're on a very good run and players confidence must be sky high.
Truro calling last week off and rearranging it for when they are back home will have suited both our pitch, which has had a decent rest, and their hoped for increased revenue from the rearranged Treyew Road fixture in January.

Good drainage, rested pitch, not much rain with plenty of wind after 6pm this evening, game on. Close fought win for us. 2-1 after going a goal behind. Captain Kyle and Reidy the scorers.

Hoping we get more than 2500, but doubt it would be many more, if at all, so going for an optimistic 2654 with 84 from Welling.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Although we have had a lot more heavy rain in the night, as Rjc says I think the strong winds from now on and hopefully not too many heavy showers should keep the game on
Don't think Welling have been ' the form team of the last few weeks' as reported on the other forum
(better get that right or someone will be replying "READ WHAT I POSTED !!") I think we have ! followed by Dartford, Welling haven't played away since Oct 30th when they lost to St Albans and have only played 3 league games since then winning 2 and drawing 1. Be interesting to see their level, but if we keep up our recent workrate and tempo and take a couple of chances we will win the game
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Home win, 2-0, crowd of 2,300. Should be a good atmosphere, see you all in Boots and Laces before the game!
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Is there much promotion of this game by the club? As it's a great chance to attract new, younger fans. I hope so. As we look a force, at last.

Get both stands behind the goal full with reduced concession ahead of the festive period.
Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

How’s the weather been down there this morning? Any danger of a postponement??

Hope not, confidence must be sky high at present
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think the game will be on.
According to yesterdays Herald Express Podcast the pitch was covered last night as rain was forecast and so far today no rain and strong drying winds blowing.
3-1 Home win. COYY
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Been to see the pitch, it's in very good shape at the moment.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see anything wrong with being optimistic and not fretting about the opposition.

If we produce the sort of movement and tempo we did in the last two home games Welling will have no chance.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

gateman49 wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 13:39 Been to see the pitch, it's in very good shape at the moment.
What dryer than your lawn Andrew :keepie: See you tomorrow
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 00:28 Frustratingly, I very much doubt that this game will go ahead. Truro's match at Plainmoor last Saturday was called off and apart from Tuesday, we've had a lot more rain this week and there's more forecast tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong because we're on a very good run and players confidence must be sky high.
I think you could be right I watch Truro at home the previous week and the pitch was bad then and should not have been played on and I think this was what Johnson was getting at in the press last week. Some bright spark replied to my post saying we won't have games called off as things have changed now we've had the drainage done. It does not work like that if the pitch is played on when it should not be you can get a lot of games postponed when you don't want them to be.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Dave Thomas seems to be confused as to where the match is actually taking place! (Not sure if he writes the headlines - if he does he will be in the wrong place tomorrow)

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... le-2303965
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Great news for Torquay United. I believe that our former loan striker jake Robinson has left Billericay Town and joined Maidstone. He is there top scorer with 12 goals