Torquayunited v Welling United 8/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

What a turnaround! I think it was Portugull who posted a few weeks back that things can change very quickly in football, but I don't think any of us believed Gary J could turn around Plainmoor quite as quickly. When he was appointed, we had scored fewer goals than anyone else in the league. Now we are the highest scorers, along with Woking and Billericay. What a joy it is to watch a team scoring goals after the dour stuff under Owers.

It should have been 3 - 0 yesterday. No way was that a penalty. Terrible decision. No wonder McDonald was miffed at being robbed of a clean sheet. The ref was awful. Keating's booking was very harsh, and yet he let several quite nasty Welling fouls go without a booking. Then when he did eventually book a Welling player (in front of the pop side), it was questionable whether it was even a foul. It certainly didn't warrant a booking.

There were a few grumbles about Shaun McDonald's distribution, but those grumbling didn't take into account the conditions. The Welling 'keeper had the same problems. McDonald didn't really have much to do, but his handling was spot on throughout the match - as was the Welling keeper to be fair.

It was an entertaining game on a pudding of a pitch. Full marks to the whole team and to Gary Johnson for getting them to play as a unit at pace.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

portugull wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 20:43 Just remembered that yesterday on this topic I predicted 3-1 win!
Not often I get the result correct and the score.COYY.
I had a bet on 3-1 win, yes I was only a quid but a wins a win
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Kingsgull83 »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 13:57 Much already said on the great display so a word on attendance. With such a dismal day weather-wise one would suspect that many stayed away but nonetheless that still did not prevent us having the highest attendance this season. If we can maintain our top of the league status with a few more wins up to Christmas then one can think the unthinkable with possible 5,000 crowds at Plainmoor for our Truro matches. What an atmosphere that will make.

For regional football that would be pretty impressive - even Osborne may sit up and take notice. And for good reasons as higher attendance figures could "potentially bring in better sponsors" and generate more interest in season ticket sales, the bedrock of any club, by making them appear a "scarce resource" for next season. Imagine a forthcoming game at Plainmoor in which a win makes us the league champions - plenty interest created - all ticket match due to demand being higher than the 6,500 ground capacity- not beyond the realms of imagination.

The players enjoy playing in front of big crowds and yesterday was a good crowd for them. The word is spreading, and supporters are returning to watch the quality of the football on show. These are really good players making a really good team under the auspice of a really good manager.

I am lov'in it!

I am loving your optimism but 5000 is a pipe dream surely??
When was the last time we had an attendance that high. I can remember previous seasons of league football and proper local Derby’s and only getting 4000.
As for full houses 😳 now that would be amazing but I can see it. If we did dare I say it but a new ground might be in order!!

We have an amazing fan base, good atmosphere yesterday and I am always blown away by the numbers we are taking away each week at this level. But this is the hardcore fans that will attending through thick and thin if we can crack the local ‘big club’ fans then that will be a game changer
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Kingsgull83 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 18:47 Agree. What was he supposed to do when the referee was a mong, I refer to mong, as he was same ref at Weston.

Wow!! what a beautiful choice of words........

I thought the ref was good was sensible with some heaving tackles going in early and allowed for the conditions. With other refs there could of been more yellows and even red cards
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 03:06
Wow!! what a beautiful choice of words........

I thought the ref was good was sensible with some heaving tackles going in early and allowed for the conditions. With other refs there could of been more yellows and even red cards
Umm really ?
To be frank here, & I mean this with respect for the difficult job they do, the referee seemed to be trying to referee the match from the 'white board' scenario instead of taking the awful conditions into account & refereeing accordingly.
Merse states that it was a penalty & even gives us a synopsis of the reasons why he feels it was !
Fair do's , we have to get used to the fact refereeing at this level is somewhat flawed, unfortunately it's where we are right now, To have that decision to against us was annoying & thankfully it didn't cost us but what if the incident was the other way round ? Just think about that for a sec .
As to the 'thoughts' of the Welling manager, what a load of twaddle, If they'd come away with a result it wouldve been something like " oh yes,the referee was justified in letting the game to ahead, we were totally in control of the conditions, blah blah blah etc etc " .
Some of these Managers need to take a long hard look at them selves & realise what they're saying is total b@!!ocks most of the time, I don't know whether I'm hearing him through angel laced hearing aids but ever since Gary J has been with us he has talked nothing but sense, the voice of a true pro who knows what he's doing.
It's great to be a Torquay fan at the moment, anybody else noticed we've been mention favourably on the exeweb & pasoti forums too ? Good to see we're beginning to be noticed again if only because we're no threat to either of them , for now that is !
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 03:01
I am loving your optimism but 5000 is a pipe dream surely??
[highlight=yellow]When was the last time we had an attendance that high. I can remember previous seasons of league football and proper local Derby’s and only getting 4000.[/highlight]
As for full houses 😳 now that would be amazing but I can see it. If we did dare I say it but a new ground might be in order!!

We have an amazing fan base, good atmosphere yesterday and I am always blown away by the numbers we are taking away each week at this level. But this is the hardcore fans that will attending through thick and thin if we can crack the local ‘big club’ fans then that will be a game changer
Er, against North Ferriby as i mentioned in the post directly after MellowYellow's...... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its great to hear opposition managers whinging after we have given them a right royal shellacking.

When you have the opposition trying to get the keeper sent off for kicking the ball out after a penalty then you know how desperate they really are.

As for the manager - he is a complete tosser. He is lucky that they played us on a quagmire, it would probably have ended up 6-1 if the pitch was decent.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Teigngull wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 08:53 Umm really ?
To be frank here, & I mean this with respect for the difficult job they do, the referee seemed to be trying to referee the match from the 'white board' scenario instead of taking the awful conditions into account & refereeing accordingly.
Merse states that it was a penalty & even gives us a synopsis of the reasons why he feels it was !
Fair do's , we have to get used to the fact refereeing at this level is somewhat flawed, unfortunately it's where we are right now, To have that decision to against us was annoying & thankfully it didn't cost us but what if the incident was the other way round ? Just think about that for a sec .
As to the 'thoughts' of the Welling manager, what a load of twaddle, If they'd come away with a result it wouldve been something like " oh yes,the referee was justified in letting the game to ahead, we were totally in control of the conditions, blah blah blah etc etc " .
Some of these Managers [highlight=yellow]need to take a long hard look at them selves & realise what they're saying is total b@!!ocks most of the time[/highlight], I don't know whether I'm hearing him through angel laced hearing aids but ever since Gary J has been with us he has talked nothing but sense, the voice of a true pro who knows what he's doing.
It's great to be a Torquay fan at the moment, anybody else noticed we've been mention favourably on the exeweb & pasoti forums too ? Good to see we're beginning to be noticed again if only because we're no threat to either of them , for now that is !
If the cap fits wear it Teigngull: are you agreeing with Merse (in which case the comment re the ref is total b@!!ocks) or disagreeing (in which case the comment re the penalty is total b@!!ocks)?
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

On a high at the moment and rightly so, we look solid, play attractive football and score goals. Very nice to see the players and GJ celebrating victories with the Yellow Army at the end of games. They look like they`re loving it as much as us fans. I`ve no doubt that had we these players and GJ at the start we`d be 12 points clear at the top by now. Cant underestimate the impact of the Bristol City lads and we desperately need them to stay till we`ve secured the title (yes we can). Brings me onto a question, "What is happening with Brett Williams?", made Captain at the start of the season, hasnt scored I think in NLS, cant make the staring lineup and now it seems can`t even make the bench. We need him to be involved at some point if the worst happens and City recall their loanees.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 13:57 ...If we can maintain our top of the league status with a few more wins up to Christmas then one can think the unthinkable with possible 5,000 crowds at Plainmoor for our Truro matches. What an atmosphere that will make....

...For regional football that would be pretty impressive - even Osborne may sit up and take notice....

...Imagine a forthcoming game at Plainmoor in which a win makes us the league champions - plenty interest created - all ticket match due to demand being higher than the 6,500 ground capacity- not beyond the realms of imagination...

...The players enjoy playing in front of big crowds and yesterday was a good crowd for them. The word is spreading, and supporters are returning to watch the quality of the football on show. These are really good players making a really good team under the auspice of a really good manager...
(I had to edit my quote of MellowYellow's post for space)

Most of this is true, although we've seen over the past god-knows-how-many-years that fans in the Bay will trun out to support a winning team. Even this season we've seen that attendances will be higher when the team is doing that when it is losing. Attendance last year will end up being significantly lower than this season, and that's because..winning teams are more likely to bring out paying customers. Take 2004/2005; average attendance was 3,552...about 50 more than when were flying high in L2 the previous season...and you could easily make the case that it would be a lot less once you've removed the away support from the equation (I remember Sheffield Wednesday bringing about 1,000...)

The attendance we're seeing right now is impressive, but the simple fact is that to continue this in other divisions we need to have a competitive team. If we get promoted and are struggling in the National League again next season our average gate will drop to 1,800 again. Big crowds are great, but there is a point at which the increased investment to get those crowds is too mcuh to justify the extra income those crowds will bring. Osborne will no doubt have a chart somewhere that defines the best (ie most profitable) balance of budget/league and attendances. I remember Bateson saying years back that the best thing for the finnaces was to have a team getting into the playoffs and losing the final - you get high attendances (especially during the run-in) but you don't then have to increase the playing budget to compete in the league above.

A true measure of Osborne's ambition for the club will be how he reacts to a promotion (or two!) - if he supports a genuine effort in L2, then maybe (MAYBE!) will he start to earn the trust of fans and we'll believe that he doesn't just have money in mind. Or - even more cynical of me - we won't care that he's in it for the money if he demonstrates that success on the pitch is also part of his plans
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I have just watched the tv highlights (very well produced, by the way); it struck me that there may be a new GILBERT. I say that because this one seemed very uncertain about what to do at kick-off. He merely stood there, flapping his wings a little but didn't perform any spectacular feats (you know the ones we all like such as flying into the air, exploding and then raining down red-hot debris on the away support). Still,no doubt he'll grow into the job. I would be very interested to know what happens at a GILBERT interviewing session, and what credentials area need for said employment.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

[align=center]Ill just leave this here,
Question is cash out our let it run?[/align]
image.png

Johnson had a dream to build football team, he had no job so he came to the gulls, with Cameron at the back and Reidy in attack We're Torquay United
we're on our WAY BACK!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 12:39 Its great to hear opposition managers whinging after we have given them a right royal shellacking.

When you have the opposition trying to get the keeper sent off for kicking the ball out after a penalty then you know how desperate they really are.

As for the manager - he is a complete tosser. He is lucky that they played us on a quagmire, it would probably have ended up 6-1 if the pitch was decent.
A I have previously stated, add to that the incident when Keating was booked. Their player acted as if both legs had been broken to try to get him sent off but was up in a minute, not sent to the touchline by the ref and ran forward for the resulting free kick.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

On the subject of can we get at least 3,000 into Planmoor now we are playing good football here is what I am doing.
All my friends and acquaintances are commenting on the huge turn round at Torquay United because they know I am a lifelong fan of my home town football club.
So I say to them you really should come and see for yourself.
So far 5 have started to pitch up at Plainmoor.
If 500 of you copied my example with the same success we would get 5,000 not 3,000!!!
Have I made you think? It would be bloody brilliant. Lets do it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thought GJ called spot on when he referred to this game as a battle, saying both sides knew they'd been in a game. Welling I thought were one of the better sides to have come down to plainmoor this season, up near the top on merit that's for sure, personally wouldn't want to be playing them in a one off, winner takes all play-off game.

Thought after the two early goals, both fantastic strikes our team went a bit flat, felt they sat too deep, and conceded possession easily for 20 minutes or so in the first half, atmosphere was flat also maybe a bit nervy from the fans. Second half much better from our side, who ran deserved winners in the end.

As for the penalty, think GJ biggest concern will be mistakes and poor decision making that's led to the penalty shout, we've given the referee a decision to make, still think it was marginal decision, think it's one of those seen them given, seen them not given. At match thought it wasn't, haven't seen any video of it yet, however it was given they scored, thankfully our team were professional enough to put it behind them and get on with the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc