Torquayunited v Welling United 8/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was another impressive performance on a very heavy and slippery pitch.
United made the perfect start when in the third minute Jake Andrews got his head over the ball and hit a perfect shot into the bottom right corner giving the keeper no chance.
The second goal by young Mr. Janneh was even better. Receiving a pass fro Kalala Janneh advanced at speed and hit the most glorious shot into the top right corner of the net from a good 25 yards. It really was a stunning goal of the highest quality.
The next half hour was a bit scrappy but United looked far more dangerous going forward than Welling.
The next goal was crucial and again Gary Johnsons liking for mixing up free kicks making us unpredictable paid off.
The free kick into the box resulted in a shot from Saikou Janneh being saved but Jean Yves Koue Niate finished from very close range.
Goldberg made it 3-1 from a disputed penalty but United were much the better team and saw the game out
What really impressed me happened in the 90th minute. We lost possession and within 10 seconds regained the ball because 3 or 4 United players hunted the ball down and regained possession. We did not allow Welling to play.
Huge congratulations to Gary and all the team.
Great crowd 2,467 in full voice with a huge cheer from the pop side at the end when Gary went over to show his appreciation for the terrific support.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Just read report on Welling os. No sour grapes, but does mention MacDonald being lucky to not get a second yellow, for kicking the ball away. I wasn't there so don't know if true. Any comments?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Hmmmm he was upset that it went in, and kicked the ball up the pitch and out to touch by the dug outs, one of their players was near the ball but not that close to be fair. Four of their players rushed to the ref that was making his way to the centre circle like everyone else. Disappointing from pros tbh.

Nothing in it to be honest, more disappointing was one of their players calling a steward on the popside a c**t which the Lino heard and correctly reported it to the ref, not even booked, just warned.

(Cliche time!)

They got what they deserved,,,, nothing, as opposed to myslef who after traveling to the likes of Gloucester, Weston and Oxford City witnessed his Torquay win of the season!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Just shows that a winning Torquay team has on the attendances. Many thought when we played in the conf south we would struggle to get 1000, absolute credit to the yellow army and of course the players and management. Just need the stand in grounds person to get Truros next match called off at plainmoor.
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Just remembered that yesterday on this topic I predicted 3-1 win!
Not often I get the result correct and the score.COYY.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 20:43 Just remembered that yesterday on this topic I predicted 3-1 win!
Not often I get the result correct and the score.COYY.
Me also :clap:
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

lucy I understand Truro are away at Slough on the 11th Dec and play WSM in the FA Trophy at Truro not Plainmoor next Sat 15th Dec.
They play Wealdstone at Plainmoor on 22nd Dec when the gate might be 11.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

lucy so you did!! Great minds think alike.Only joking folks.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 18:59 I don't think we went this long unbeaten in 98 but fairly sure we won 8 on the bounce, which equaled the club record if I remember rightly.

That was a great season
Yeah definitely won 8 in a row that season when Roberts and Jack were tearing defences apart.

Most games without defeat? 17 in 2008

Most league games without defeat? 15 in 1960 and 1990

Torquayfanstats is excellent for anything like this

https://www.torquayfanstats.com/records
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

portugull wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 20:51 lucy so you did!! Great minds think alike.Only joking folks.
Fools seldom differ! Only joking!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Great battling performance esp second half when
Welling lifted by that very harsh penalty, gave it a good go, lots of the ball but never opened us up or forced MacDonald into a serious save, but their energy levels were very good and they never tired like other teams. The pitch didn't help our game could have done without that downpour at 2.30 the ground staff will be busy next week trying to sort that mess out - still they have 2 weeks before Truro mess it up again.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Really enjoyed that. Considering the weather and the pitch it was an entertaining game. Watching a TUfC team win a battling football match but also try and pass the ball was a joy. Everybody put in a shift, players showed real grit and desire, some skills on show, two great finishes to go 2-0 up, then team play and opportunism for 3-0. Not sure about Wellings pen, they played their part in the game but pleased to say there was only ever going to be one winner.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Terrific effort again after the rain poured just before kick off, still passing and moving quickly on it. At 2 nil it was virtually over as welling didn't look like they had many players to damage us. Both goals taken really well. Just a shocking pen giving them hope but seeing he was in charge at Weston no surprise. Onwards and upwards and the atmosphere really good too in a very healthy attendance
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Really enjoyed the game despite the atrocious weather. We're now playing with so much confidence we surely won't fear any team in this league.
I just wanted to pay tribute to Cameron. I thought he was excellent again. Very composed. Is there a better defender than him in Conference South?
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

:scarf: So positive right now, we are riding the crest of a wave. Cannot wait for the Christmas fixtures at Plainmoor! Perhaps some more bumper crowds?