Basingstoke Town F A Trophy Opponents

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

on pens !! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Sounded as if the only good bit was our penalty taking, scored all five.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was hard work !
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Both clubs agreed to end the tie on the day. Basingstoke took the lead in the 9th min with a pen Jamie Reid equalised a minute later. Stayed that way so pens and were scored by Reid, Lemonheigh -Evans, Davies. Williams and Andrews.

Hope that helps until the match report is up !!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Who scored our pens ? & was it 5-4 or 5-3 ? did they miss or did super Mac save some ?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

That was poor I can tell you. Fairly equal actually, the only difference 1 penalty. Glad I live locally
TUST MEMBER
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Teigngull wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 18:13 Who scored our pens ? & was it 5-4 or 5-3 ? did they miss or did super Mac save some ?
5 - 3. We started the shootout & they missed their 4th. Thus 5 -3. P H E W !!! :scarf:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Think I might be easier pleased than Neal. I didn’t think we played too badly against a Basingstoke side that were clearly up for it more in the first half. We stretched them all over the park for most of the second half and but for some better finishing should have sealed the win within the 90 minutes. Just before that second period MacDonald pulled off an incredible tip over from a Basingstoke free-kick, btw.

Reid hit the post at the beginning of the second half and I lost count of the amount of corners we had down our right. Williams put Edwards neatly through, but his first touch and shot were pretty woeful. He looked like he had been out for a few games, although had plenty of energy and looked a handful until worryingly hobbling off during the first period of extra time. Much of the rest of our attacking play can be best summarised as good and quick approach play but poor last ball or shot.

Nothing went for Andrews today with shots sailing way over and misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Was dreading him taking a penalty, but he stepped up and got that winning penalty, so fair play to the lad. Lumbombo Kalala rightly subbed at half time as he was shockingly poor. Evans, Davis and Cameron were my stand out players today. Solid performances.

We looked decent in defence throughout, to be honest. I’d be interested in seeing that penalty decision again. Thought the ref may have been conned on that one as the Basingstoke forward seemed ‘aerial’ before any/if any contact. That said, Basingstoke toward the end of the 90 and in the first period of extra time looked capable of a goal on the break once or twice. A tiring young midfield, perhaps? They certainly had the better of that first period and we seemed to be going through the motions a bit. Second period, we stepped up but it seemed destined for penalties.

An observation on Nabi - he no longer looks unfit. Thought all of our used substitutes today played well, albeit Nabi only had 20 minutes or so. Edwards had a poor first touch, but his pace and ambition made him very effective in patches. Williams is not someone I would have us offload unless for a very good replacement. Wynter - best I’ve seen from him.

MacDonald 6.5
Wynter 7
Niate 6.5
Cameron 8 (he is an absolute rock)
Davis 8.5 (very good game)
Kalala 4 (Poor)
Andrews 5 (Not so good today)
Evans 8.5 (Quality)
Keating 6 (Worked hard)
Janneh 7.5 (inc. effective time on the left wing later on)
Reid 7.5 (Assured. Good goal)

Subs Used
Edwards 7
Williams 6.5
Nabi 6
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

Rjc70 wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 18:57 Think I might be easier pleased than Neal. I didn’t think we played too badly against a Basingstoke side that were clearly up for it more in the first half. We stretched them all over the park for most of the second half and but for some better finishing should have sealed the win within the 90 minutes. Just before that second period MacDonald pulled off an incredible tip over from a Basingstoke free-kick, btw.

Reid hit the post at the beginning of the second half and I lost count of the amount of corners we had down our right. Williams put Edwards neatly through, but his first touch and shot were pretty woeful. He looked like he had been out for a few games, although had plenty of energy and looked a handful until worryingly hobbling off during the first period of extra time. Much of the rest of our attacking play can be best summarised as good and quick approach play but poor last ball or shot.

Nothing went for Andrews today with shots sailing way over and misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Was dreading him taking a penalty, but he stepped up and got that winning penalty, so fair play to the lad. Lumbombo Kalala rightly subbed at half time as he was shockingly poor. Evans, Davis and Cameron were my stand out players today. Solid performances.

We looked decent in defence throughout, to be honest. I’d be interested in seeing that penalty decision again. Thought the ref may have been conned on that one as the Basingstoke forward seemed ‘aerial’ before any/if any contact. That said, Basingstoke toward the end of the 90 and in the first period of extra time looked capable of a goal on the break once or twice. A tiring young midfield, perhaps? They certainly had the better of that first period and we seemed to be going through the motions a bit. Second period, we stepped up but it seemed destined for penalties.

An observation on Nabi - he no longer looks unfit. Thought all of our used substitutes today played well, albeit Nabi only had 20 minutes or so. Edwards had a poor first touch, but his pace and ambition made him very effective in patches. Williams is not someone I would have us offload unless for a very good replacement. Wynter - best I’ve seen from him.

MacDonald 6.5
Wynter 7
Niate 6.5
Cameron 8 (he is an absolute rock)
Davis 8.5 (very good game)
Kalala 4 (Poor)
Andrews 5 (Not so good today)
Evans 8.5 (Quality)
Keating 6 (Worked hard)
Janneh 7.5 (inc. effective time on the left wing later on)
Reid 7.5 (Assured. Good goal)

Subs Used
Edwards 7
Williams 6.5
Nabi 6
To be fair to Kalala, he was hacked down badly, twice, and may have been carrying a nasty injury.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Anyone know attendance/yellow army numbers?
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

I m guessing about 550-650 with 175-200 Gulls. Very bleak and gloomy day, getting damper and colder by the minute. At least we won, but not the greatest performance against a team that (to their credit) raised their game. :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

dennisk wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 20:38 I m guessing about 550-650 with 175-200 Gulls. Very bleak and gloomy day, getting damper and colder by the minute. At least we won, but not the greatest performance against a team that (to their credit) raised their game. :scarf:
If you're estimates are correct what support from the yellow army for a third qualifying round of the fa trophy. I personally see this competition as a hindrance but if Gary Johnson wants progression then who can argue. So with the fa cup and fa trophy we are know knocking on 55k earned from cup matches.
Lucy
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

dennisk wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 20:28 To be fair to Kalala, he was hacked down badly, twice, and may have been carrying a nasty injury.
Johnson confirms it was tactical. https://www.torquayunited.com/reaction- ... toke-town/
I’d agree with the 200 estimate. We were very scattered around.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Genuinely a poor game today, could see the players lacked interest in the cup.

Leigh Evans & Andrews were poor today. Macdonald saved up today.

Basingstokes number 11 has some talent.

We move onto Dulwich where I see a far more better game for 90 minutes.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Always going to be a lower away attendance with Dulwich on Saturday. Plenty going up to that and Dartford away next Tues as well.