Is a reality check needed ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Is a reality check needed ?

Post by Teigngull »

Right , I'll probably be lambasted for this by the usual suspects, but a lot of posters on this forum have been moaning & bitching on how crap billericay were last week , Weston the game before that were ripe for a tanking & now Woking are a poor side after today's game.
Are we going to continually whinge & bitch about the quality of other sides when results don't go out way ? If that's the case what the hell does that make us then ? Even worse , not good enough , performing above our true ability ? Reverting back to type ?
We are a football club in transition, we have the right manager to get us out of this league , he's managed to offload some of the dross we had & there may be more to go yet.
Promotion this season, as indicated by our much maligned chairman/owner is the priority, yes it's a shame we're out of the F.a. Cup, there's no NLP place available or denied by winning or losing today's game & if we can't use todays result as a motivating factor for Tuesday then who knows where we'll end up in may.
I also feel that any player GJ has designs on will have already played in this year's F.a. Cup or will have been denied by their parent club, so it's no wonder we haven't seen anybody come in recently, I don't know about Tues future but I have a feeling the squad will be improved by next weekend one way or another.
I'll continued to quote a fellow maligned member & say it again , at this level players make more mistakes, that's why their at this level ! Those teams that get some sort of winning consistency going will win the league, to achieve that you need fit for purpose players & that is what GJ & bro' are trying to achieve, a little patience is what's required from us on the sideline.
It will come good this season.
Last edited by Teigngull on 10 Nov 2018, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

FA Cup is of no interest to me this season. I just want out of this league, period!!

We're not as good as some think and neither are we as bad as some think but we've improved under Johnson and will hopefully improve some more and get promoted. Nothing else interests me, not even your crap spelling ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

I agree with you sentiment. But hope Woking get a shit draw in the cup!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 19:37 FA Cup is of no interest to me this season. I just want out of this league, period!!

We're not as good as some think and neither are we as bad as some think but we've improved under Johnson and will hopefully improve some more and get promoted. Nothing else interests me, not even your crap spelling ;-)
Sirry dove im on mi forf pinte rite know , th keebord is luking a bit bleU ree
Surry wunce agayne .
Teengurl xxx :whistle:
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

As long as we're in the top seven when the season ends... and coming into it on a roll, that's all that matters, surely?
Promotion, return of squad numbers, capable players and press on for another promotion. First loss in ten. Move on.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

On this occasion I agree with Teigngull. Owers set us up with a slow moving, slow thinking team to finish in mid table in the National South. That shows when we get up against the Leagues better sides in games controlled ( if that is the right word) by idiot referees as we had today and last week. The new manager has made a strong start but no one could ever expect him to produce the finished promotion product yet.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have been looking at todays results In National League South.
St Albans City who we play Tuesday lost at home 2-3 to Chippenham!
Wealdstone drew 3-3 with Bath City. Hemel H won.
Just look at the League Table. 2 points cover 11 places 4th to 14th.
There is no outstanding side yet.
GJ will bring in 2 players at least and he knows now exactly what he needs. A poacher in the box.
How many times in the 10 games under GJ have we failed to bury clear cut chances. Answer a lot.
Just give the gaffer a little time he will find what we need.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

The last couple of weeks since the hugely encouraging win at Wealdstone ... have indeed been a wake up call,

I know it’s where we are at now, but after all the effort put in by both the players on the pitch and the fantastic support off it .... it is a real kick in the guts to come out of the last three games with two draws against Weston-super-Mare and Billericay and a home defeat in the first round of the FA Cup to Woking.

Let’s face it, in our long and proud history, any ONE of those three results in years gone by could have resulted in the Manager losing his job! It just shows how far we have fallen!

The pressure is now on GJ to (long overdue) strengthen the squad. It’s just a shame that it’s now too late to save us in the FA Cup - in a game we really should have won.

It’s good that we have seen a mini “clear out” but for me at least, there are still as many as 4 or 5 that still need to be moved on.

I still fancy us to make the playoffs... but the current squad, as it stands, is not good enough. It just isn’t strong enough (mentally or physically it seems) to compete with the best teams in this League for the title. We need some additions to strengthen the squad in key areas .... but how long have we been saying that?

I would hope that two or three additions are on there way ... sharpish! Over to you GJ!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The big mystery for me is Brett Williams. Brought back here by Gary Owers; made captain and clearly No 1 on the team sheet. After the game today he told me he's had a rib injury since Monday which is why (he thinks) he didn't start/ get on until too late.
Unless he figures under Johnson he would be better off playing regularly elsewhere. Shame because I believe he's a goalscorer but he needs a target man to work off.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

CP Gull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 20:42 The last couple of weeks since the hugely encouraging win at Wealdstone ... have indeed been a wake up call,

I know it’s where we are at now, but after all the effort put in by both the players on the pitch and the fantastic support off it .... it is a real kick in the guts to come out of the last three games with two draws against Weston-super-Mare and Billericay and a home defeat in the first round of the FA Cup to Woking.

Let’s face it, in our long and proud history, any ONE of those three results in years gone by could have resulted in the Manager losing his job! It just shows how far we have fallen!

The pressure is now on GJ to (long overdue) strengthen the squad. It’s just a shame that it’s now too late to save us in the FA Cup - in a game we really should have won.

It’s good that we have seen a mini “clear out” but for me at least, there are still as many as 4 or 5 that still need to be moved on.

I still fancy us to make the playoffs... but the current squad, as it stands, is not good enough. It just isn’t strong enough (mentally or physically it seems) to compete with the best teams in this League for the title. We need some additions to strengthen the squad in key areas .... but how long have we been saying that?

I would hope that two or three additions are on there way ... sharpish! Over to you GJ!
I guess because our recent upturn in results has been on most occasions from the loanees from Bristol, we can not play any more loan players. So I'm guessing the only option now is to actually buy/get someone under a full time contract. That's probably the delay.
Lucy
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 19:37 FA Cup is of no interest to me this season. I just want out of this league, period!!

Couldn't agree more!

We avoided losing to a minnow in the cup and got to the first round for the first time in years. More than good enough for me, now to get on with what matters for the rest of the season.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Williams has no form to justify any optimism. He tailed off badly at Bromley last year. He found little for us despite the optimism on his return last year and has shown nothing this. Our better football under Johnson has been pace and first touch based. Sorry but I don't see him being any sort of answer or that he would particularly fit into the present side.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It had to happen sooner or later, Jerry ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In my opinion the downturn over the last two or three games has been mainly as a result of the number of injuries we have suffered.

It also seems that Johnson has moved some players out which has caused our squad to be severely decimated. Add to that we have have been on the arse end of some refereeing decisions and there probably isn't too much wrong with the team (or there wouldn't be if Sendles-White, Edwards and Hall were fit)

If it is correct that Johnson has two decent signings lined up next week then the squad will look infinitely better than it does now.

Given that we could have just as easily won the last three instead of achieving two draws and a defeat there probably isn't too much to get down about.

Two important games coming up now - we should be looking for maximum points out of these two.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Our defenders are not good enough with the exception of Davis and Cameron. Errors every match but get away with it. Our forward line isn't going to get us promotion they all need 5 shots before they score one. Opi missed a sitter after 10mins at Weston. Reid missed one too, different game if that goes in. Keatingbmissed a sitter against billericay, again game over if that went in. Woking in the league lots of chances missed, today the same in first 20mins again. In one way I'm glad we lost as can now concentrate on getting some more bodies into the squad.