Torquayunited v Woking Fa Cup 1st round 10/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Gary Johnson bubble burst! Normal service resumed at plainmoor!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Manager of the month jinx strikes again! How often does a team get motm and then lose next game?
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Oh well, FA cup distraction out of the way, again.

To be fair, it sounded like we played okay and had ample chances to score. Radio comms said it was a smash and grab from Woking.

Be interesting to here the views of people who went.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

No visit to Wembley this season. Three shots kicked off the line, Woking keeper made several good saves in the first half. Dubious penalty, from my angle it looked as though Niate had won the ball. The referee saw it differently. Over 300 away fans, a lot will have a lot to tell their schoolmates on Monday. Former Torquay centre half Ben Gerring showed his class at the final whistle. Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the box.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Disappointing that we failed to take any of our chances. Thought it was a decent game and we certainly are improving. Great to see Olaf get on, perhaps he should have come on sooner instead of Williams. He looks strong.
Unfortunately Gerring showed what an idiot he is. Certainly no.need to react how he did at the final whistle.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Disappointing to be out of the cup, but we all know what the bigger prize is. As for the game can't be critical of our teams performance, they've done more than enough to win, as said Woking have cleared shots off the line, their keepers made 1 first class, and 3 other good saves in the first half, I don't think individually or collectively our team could have done or given any more than have today.

The improvements in our performances are there to see, but I've been saying for weeks now, if we want top spot in this league we are a numbers of player light, I know GJ is working on it, hopefully we'll see some movement on that soon.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

First half we played well. Passing and movement good. A few chances created and a couple of good saves by their goalkeeper. Dubious penalty. Lemonheigh Evans played well supported by rest of midfield in first half. Probably tried to do too much in second half which slowed the movement of play down and he attracted opposition players and conceded possession. Second half we lacked a bit of extra quality however with a couple of scrappy chances and a penalty which was called back to a previous foul in which ref had allowed play to continue. Ben Gerring played well and was probably one of their best players. We put too many balls into the air and he and the fellow central defender won pretty well everything in the air. Ben Wynter is slow and a liability when he gets forward. Central defenders too slow to cover his position. All in all the right result was prob a draw or TUFC to edge it. Didn't deserve to lose. Final whistle Getting, whilst he got undeserved abuse during the game, was out of order (manner of celebration, goading of fans etc). The general troublemaker fans that cause us problems went missing when they had the opportunity to meet like-minded individuals from Woking (standard). Back to the league and hopefully the push for promotion. Lemmonheigh Evans is genuine quality, Janneh lacking that consistency as we've seen with similar younger players over the years. Great to see Olaf come on as sub.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Furious. Why do referees not yellow card the first sign of time wasting after a goal is scored, they wait until there is 5 mins left before they anything! Ref was awful, no penalty! No way! Reid should have also scored.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

HockeyGull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 17:36 No visit to Wembley this season. Three shots kicked off the line, Woking keeper made several good saves in the first half. Dubious penalty, from my angle it looked as though Niate had won the ball. The referee saw it differently. Over 300 away fans, a lot will have a lot to tell their schoolmates on Monday. Former Torquay centre half Ben Gerring showed his class at the final whistle. Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the box.
I agree re the Woking fans, what a bunch of little tossers. Especially the boy with a scrawny body who decided to take his shirt off, he hadn’t eaten his spinach. As for Gerring, the fat donkey showed up his utter stupidity at the end.
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 10 Nov 2018, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just not our day. Shot cleared off the line , they go straight down our end and get given a pen which according to people nearer and several of our players never was as he got the ball. Ref was quite a way behind. The quality of the game was outstanding though for two Nat South teams, we were excellent in the first half not far off the best we have played under GJ , second half we struggled a bit more to break them down as they sat deeper. In 9 games under GJ we have always scored at least two, we were a bit unlucky today but still feel we need another striker.We missed Opi down the right today.Good to have Andrews back, he played well but overdoes the long crossfield balls a bit . L-Evans had another excellent game too, but I don't like his chipped free kicks none of which produced anything
We simply must take 6 points from the two home games next week. Incredible performance from the pitch , never even cut up, the best game I have ever seen it play after all that rain.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Feeling robbed by a truly diabolical refereeing decision. Niate may have been the wrong side but his tackle was clean as a whistle and there was not a question in my mind it was ever a penalty. The ref was not even in a bad position to make the decision and every single person in the bench was left shocked and outraged when he pointed at the spot

Better team lost today and Woking can count themselves lucky they nicked it by a ludicrous inept moment of decision making by the official.
Last edited by Richinns on 10 Nov 2018, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Woking fans, utter disgrace. Their behavior throughout the game was appalling. The club needs to investigate the stewarding for this debacle. There were more stewards in front of the Torquay fans than the away end. Why on earth did they not throw the little delinquents out of the ground? They kept letting them repeat their behavior.

At the end of the game, the scenes out on the road where the coaches park were equally bad. Spotty teenagers standing in the middle of the road goading Torquay fans for a fight. I was astonished to see one of the stewards with a high vis jacket stating Woking Steward - what on earth is that all about? Did Woking stewards self-govern their end?

The behavior of Gerring was equally unprofessional - but then again he probably thinks he is vindicated for being let go by TUFC. Still, no reason to behave as he did.

There seems to be no accountability by clubs for their fans and this is the second time I have witnessed behavior like this by players during the last 3 weeks (Weston) and nothing seems to be said or done and the club turn a blind eye. It is about time the league and clubs stand up and ban away supporters from troublesome clubs like this.

Quite frankly I am proud that the Torquay fans did not respond. The police should have taken a far tougher line and if that's how Woking fans behave, then I'm glad to see the back of them.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Yep, we definitely need a proven goal scorer, but it must be a nightmare for Johnson's brother to find. If they are sat at home in Mid November they are either crap or injury prone. At half time I said to my son you usually get a feel for the game but this one could go anyway and so it proved, I would love to see the game when they load it onto the website because from where I sat in the family stand it looked like the defender got the ball cleanly. What ever you think of Gerring's antics he must have one of the easiest afternoons of the season, we just lobbed high balls up to him and his fellow giant of a centre back all afternoon leaving our midget forward line floundering several feet below.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Today showed Naite isn't good enough

And we lacking a striker who can stick the ball in the net
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Willowgull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 17:44 Disappointing that we failed to take any of our chances. Thought it was a decent game and we certainly are improving. Great to see Olaf get on, perhaps he should have come on sooner instead of Williams. He looks strong.
Unfortunately Gerring showed what an idiot he is. Certainly no.need to react how he did at the final whistle.
I spoke to Ben Gerring after the game and he was really upset by a very small minority on the Popside who he knows. He was full of compliments about everybody else.