Torquayunited v Billericay Town 3/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The ref booking Reid early on for 'diving simulation' was a joke as it was clearly a Torquay corner. From that incident onwards you knew the ref was not up to the required standard.
I watched Billericay at Taunton recently for their FA Cup replay and their keeper, Julian, was time wasting from minute one. At that game he got booked late on but by then , as today, it was too late.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Thought we were outstanding in the first half; best performance I've seen at home in the last 3 years. Second half, not so good. Saying that, Keating had 2 stone dead chances to kill the game off. When his second effort was blocked on the line shortly after half time, the writing was on the wall. He is not good enough for this level, end of. Im not sure what his level is though?

I don't think we are mentally strong enough to win the league. Today proved that. But, the transformation from only a few weeks ago is massive. I think we can finish 3rd or 4th & hopefully go up in the playoffs (if we can keep hold of the Bristol loanees).
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well what a giveaway - we gifted Billericay who really are nothing special two goals and they defended and time wasted their way to a point. What a chance , two actually to make it 3-0 the first effort should have gone in and so should the follow up. I said to someone I hope we don't regret that, two minutes later it was 2-1 and you could see the confidence and belief drain out of us. We simply stopped playing and were hitting long balls which the wind was carrying away. I don't think I have ever seen a player take as long as that to leave the pitch after being sent off, I think the ban should be increased for that sort of dissent. Remember that clown Julian from back in Buckles time when he played for Stevenage, worst timewasting I have seen since that Eastleigh keeper Stack a year or two ago
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

nickbrod wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 20:39 The ref booking Reid early on for 'diving simulation' was a joke as it was clearly a Torquay corner. From that incident onwards you knew the ref was not up to the required standard.
I watched Billericay at Taunton recently for their FA Cup replay and their keeper, Julian, was time wasting from minute one. At that game he got booked late on but by then , as today, it was too late.
Don't agree on your judgment of the Reid booking. It was a very bad touch and he lost the ball. I thought he did dive.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Willowgull wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 21:09 Don't agree on your judgment of the Reid booking. It was a very bad touch and he lost the ball. I thought he did dive.
From sitting in the Family Stand I know what I saw as did the other guys around me. But football is all about opinions.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

We were by far the better team in the first half. Well-organised, pacey and worked well as a team. The second half, we went off the boil somewhat. Billericay looked mediocre at best. Their biggest asset was gamesmanship and timewasting, aided by an appalling ref who lost control of the game. Once Billericay realized that they were going to get away with pretty much anything, they were incorrigible. An unpleasant, cynical team, I thought. On the upside, both of their goals were from silly mistakes on our part, rather than any real quality from them. Ultimately, I thought we deserved a win there but, alas, we have to settle for a draw. I expect to see Billericay slide down the table, if that's the extent of their abilities.
TUST member 203
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

First game in over five years I have sat in the family stand so it was nice to get a different perspective and a good view of all the goals.

Well what can I say that others havent - 1st half =
1. Reid should definitely not have been booked, he lost control slightly of the ball, challenged with the defender, should have been a corner. There was no dive, no appeal for a penalty, so how is that simulation or trying to con the ref.

2.We are too reluctant to pull the trigger still, plenty of space time on a few occasions and players either dithered, passed or lost the ball.

3. We looked useful going forward, Billericay looked all over the place and a bit shite, really dont know how they are top. Both goals well deserved. Second was a superb finish.

2nd half =

1. Started in control, should scored, looked for all the world we would. Billericay still look shite.

2. High balls being perfectly dropped in over the defence, we look jittery at the back and dont like it, a calamity by the keeper which I still cant fathom where he comes running out and meekly heads the ball, not sure if it was inside or outside of the area but the defender looked more a favorite for the ball, if you are going to do that the ball most get properly booted away. A good finish from the forward but even the Billericay players looked shocked.

3. We had the stuffing knocked out of us and looked absolutely subdued, all football and threat went out of the window, Billericay tails went up.

4. Another shocking example of defending. Corner to Billericay, players take up position. Our defender and their forward right in the middle of the six yard area tussling. Defender getting the wrong side, keeper getting involved and bunching up with the pair, got far too close leaving no room to command the area or take the cross. Obvious ball in, forward heads in a sitter due to defender and forward positioning. An equaliser was ibviously coming after the first was gifted.

5. Game utter rubbish and disjointed from then, neither looked like scoring until Torquay had a chance blocked near the end. Billericay spoilt and time wasted but who can blame them. We dropped points through our own doing and cant blame the opposition for doing their job and getting a result.

After game - Totally fed up, bloody cold, want to get home, car wont start, dead as dodo apart from central locking constantly clicking. Spent best part of four hours trying to get it started, back and forward between Paignton and Torquay. Cant get it sorted until Minday, work tomorrow. Great, just bloody great.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

The ref was beyond belief today. However we again unable to perform for 90mins at home. We have had two draws against woking and billericay. If we had taken our chances two wins, four more points to our league position. Terrible miss just after half time, 3 nil and game over. Billericay were average first half , improved but shouldn't have got a point. Huge celebration at the end of them, they know a bonus point.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Dazza wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:35 Teigngull if you assess that Billeray were the cleverer side God help football. I have never seen a side who virtually refused to play at all for the final ten minutes of a fixture. They obviously reflect the character ( or lack of it) of their owner. They didn't deserve their point and they certainly deserve no respect.
Dazza.
I definitely don't think Tamplins tampons were cleverer at football but they were without a doubt much more savvy at playing the referee (& he didn't need any more help to be anymore useless than he was already ) & their game management was spot on in the situation they found themselves in.
But what are you going to do ?
I don't like it as much as you obviously don't but we have to grow a pair of giant nuts here collectively.
They won't get points docked for playing naughty or tactically we've got to stop ( right now ) being such a soft touch, as well as us fans too.
It's one of the reasons were in this division to start with.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

What a horrible club Billericay is. Go for a win at all costs, fair or foul. Or I guess this manager gets the sack.

Referee was a joke. How many yellow cards? Reid did not claim a pen but was booked. He walked their 6 off the pitch when he SHOULD have booked him.

At half time I was more worried about the maverick ref than the away team. Didn’t see the defensive howlers coming.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Fair enough Nickboard, it is all about opinions. You had a different view than me. I was in line wit the incident from the side.
Some are arguing that Reid didn't claim a penalty and so shouldn't be booked. Of course that has nothing to do with it.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I knew we were up against it when Jamie Reid was booked for being tackled. At 2 0 it felt comfortable then the abbhoration of a goal and pi$$poor marking at the corner.
If we had scored at 2 0 then billericay wouldn't have come back. They were nothing special. Certainly not as good as tamlin thinks they are. But a word for billericay, time wasting, arguing, conning...shameless. If ever a team were a reflection of, what I understand their owner is, then it's surely them. Reminded me of the days when we played against the Evans raynor teams. Bench constantly on their feet, digging at the linesman, and 66 fans for a top of the table team, embarrassing.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Considering the players that we were missing this isn't the worst result. We have become so heavily dependant on the Bristol lads its clear when they are missing. Asa Hall was a huge miss also. He has improved under GJ and we miss his experience. Of course going 2-0 up and conceding a couple of soft goals is disappointing.
However we created the better chances and could have been 3-4 up so there is still a lot to be positive about.
The ref had a bad day yesterday for sure. Some ridiculous decisions that went both ways.
Defensively we have been poor last 2 games and conceded some soft goals.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can't add to much, frustrating again, Billericays tactics are neither here nor there, we had the game won, missed 2 sitters to kill them off, the warnings were, they've come back from 2 behind on number of occasions before, they've got the the school of hard knocks mentality. When our team needed to roll the sleeves up and fight for, sadly went missing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gary Johnson hit the nail on the head when he said we were as bad in the second half as we were good in the first on what ended up as a very disappointing day.

Macdonald - 3
It all fell apart for him second half. At fault for the first, lucky when he came flying out again shortly after and got beaten when punching fresh air for the equaliser. After using the ball well first half his kicking was repeatedly ignorant to what was required for the conditions in the second. A bad day for him which costs us the win (although it has to be said he has shown well by all reports in recent games before this so hopefully just a one off).

Wynter - 7
Best game I have seen from him (apart from what I perceived to be him in the confusion which led to the first goal). Went forward well and his previous poor delivery into the box much better and how his peach of a cross was missed by Keating I will never understand!

Cameron - 5.5
Not his best display today. He and Niate were bullied by there number 14 in the second half. A usually very consistent performer short of that level in the second half.

Niate - 4.5
Took him forever to get tight to their number
14 by which time they were level. Always looking like there was a mistake in him and felt uneasy all day when he was involved. That said finished well for his goal.

Davis - 6.5
Consistent performer who played well again yesterday.

Dickson - 7.5
Excellent first half and great to see him back. Quiet in the second half but this was mostly due to the ball flying over the midfield due to the distribution from the back.

Lemonheigh-Evans - 8.5
Fantastic first half. The quality of the balls into the box for the goals were incredible. Ran the show until we decided to not utlise him or Dickson in the second half. Unfortunately we will struggle to keep him at this level when his loan is up.

Jalala - 5.5
At times looked threatening and you can see talent in him but faded as the game went on and almost missing by the time he was substituted.

Keating - 4.5
Works hard but little in the way of quality and missed two absolute sitters.A shame as you really want him to do well but I just don't see it happening for him.

Janneh - 6
Quick and direct and it is great to see the pace which was so obviously missing under Owers. Took his goal well but link up play and touch poor at times. Raw but definitely has something to offer.

Reid - 7
Different player with confidence. Touch was good yesterday and linked well with the midfield in the first half. Great to see the Popside backing him and him acknowledging the support.

Williams - N/A
Did nothing and barely touched the ball so hard to rate him.

The ref - Completely out of his depth. You would hope a new stopwatch is on his Christmas list because Niate received medical attention for 3 minutes, their player took 5 minutes to actually leave the field, there was 4 substitutions (one of which took 3 minutes for their number 6 to pass on the captains armband) and their goalkeeper was constantly taking the piss taking goalkicks yet he equated all of that to 4 minutes injury time in total! WHAT A JOKE!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/