Weston Super Mare v Torquay United 30/10/2018 ko 7.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Need to beat Billericay on Saturday,down to 8th now
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Still unbeaten since GJ's arrival.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Hopefully Andrews will be fit for Saturday :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Being honest felt our team didn't do enough to win, failed to clear our lines leading up to the penalty, again from the resulting corner. Didn't pressurise their back four enough, who trying play it out from back, but weren't good enough, they had mistakes in them, frustrating but didn't lose
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Another problem was that far, far too many chickens were counted before this game began.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Spot on Wivelgull.

Mind you what a difference when now we expect to win games rather than meekly surrender !
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Breaking a golden rule and posting while still annoyed, just got back from the match and if wasn't for the turnstile operator letting us in for a fiver as a concession because they had run out of change I might have asked our players to pay me back my entrance money. First half we seemed to have no plan, we expended too much energy arguing with each other, were we pressing them because they liked playing out, if we were, then not all the players got the memo, we could have humbled them within ten minutes of the start if we had been playing off the same plan, yes the ref was probably the worst I have seen this season and that's saying something, they had a left back who was so tall it would have been a close run fight in a head nutting contest with a giraffe, he, I think scored their first goal with his foot strangely, and if they had put him up front he would have slaughtered us, Reid should be playing for Exeter chiefs as their kicker the amount he put over the bar, second half could only get better, and we were marginally,but there is no doubt they were up for the result far more than we were. As Johnson has said the supporters come to be entertained, if that means giving us all a nervous breakdown well then he is correct. As for hoping Edwards if fit for Saturday, we need Hall more for his experience and ability to put his foot on the ball
For the correspondent who suggests we need to beat Billericay on Saturday, well if we play like we did tonight it will be a cricket score and not in our favour.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Yes, it was hugely disappointing performance and result but credit to Weston. They were hungrier in tackle, chase and pass from start to finish. They showed amazing confidence and composure on the ball and generally in all honesty deserved to win.

We looked lightweight and missed Andrews and hall. Their keeper looked dodgy whenever we shot on target, sadly that was few and far between.

Lemonheigh-Evans was excellent. macDonald the other with a solid rating. A bad day at the office for the rest.

Let’s not overreact though. Jus5 remember where we were a couple of months ago!
BarneyBrick
Trialist
Trialist

Post by BarneyBrick »

I was at Weston tonight and i thought the Torquay support was brilliant. Its so good to see them on the up. My dad watched Torquay from 1946 to 1972 before we moved to Bristol. The old man passed away earlier this year and I know that he will be smiling to see Torquay moving in the right direction.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

We didn't deserve to win the game, as Johnson pointed out post-match. Weston were nothing special but for the first half and long periods in the second neither were we. Their keeper didn't really have too much to do and we just couldn't find a killer pass or run through their defence.

Johnson said that he asked the team in the dressing room to put their hands up if they thought they played well and no one did. MacDonald had reason to, he pulled off a couple of very good saves, and of course saved the penalty. It must have been gutting for him that he had done all the hard work and the rest of the team let him down.

We'll have to improve massively to beat Billericay.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 22:11 Being honest felt our team didn't do enough to win, failed to clear our lines leading up to the penalty, again from the resulting corner. Didn't pressurise their back four enough, who trying play it out from back, but weren't good enough, they had mistakes in them, frustrating but didn't lose
I agree but thought when they had the ball they moved it quickly and their passing was a little sharper than ours on the night. i don't know why they are struggling. A draw was a fair result. McDonald was excellent. MOM.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

2-2 was probably fair. Still gutted especially after late penalty save. Weston played well and stuck to playing the ball out from the back. A steward told us TUFC had informed them at 6.00pm today to expect 500 fans. Hence bar and food understaffed.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well that was farcical as Weston are totally unable to host a football match of this size. Got to the ground in good time but only got in five minutes before kick off due to one turnstile being totally overwhelmed.

There was an eleven year old steward on duty at the gate next to the turnstile. 15 or so Torquay fans behind me in the queue just walked past the steward into the ground without paying and the steward did nothing!

I paid a tenner at the gate - I guess because the turnstile operator was making it up as he went along

Blimey if you were a granny trying to get into Plainmoor they would be rooting through your handbag and you would have your earrings confiscated.

We went into the big stand behind the goal where there were masses of Torquay fans and no segregation. All passed peacefully until the ref awarded the penalty when it began to kick off bigstyle, and when they equalized it got even worse with one of the Weston players goading the fans at the bottom of the stand.

A dustbin was thrown onto the pitch and with a fair contingent of Weston fans in the stand it threatened to get really out of hand. Somebody must have panicked and called the local constabulary because just before the final whistle a line of police officers walked onto the pitch behind the small stand - not really ideal because the trouble was at the other end.. When the whistle went they all mooched onto the pitch which again was of sod all use whatsoever.

On the way back to the car there were a couple of scuffles and words exchanged on the nearby industrial site - not a policeman in site as they were all in the car park led by an inspector who looked even more gormless than the troops he was supposed to be mustering.

All in all a fairly unpleasant evening. Unfortunately as a club Weston were completely inept and hopeless - how an earth there was no segregation in the ground was disgraceful. I take it that they don't have police crowd safety officers in Somerset.

As for the game - well Johnson got it bang on in his summary. We almost got away with it but just couldn't defend at the end. The injury to Essuman seemed to disrupt our defence and Wynter doesn't appear up to it. We missed Hall and Andrews bigstyle and you got the impression that all the injuries had final caught up with us.

As for the penalty - I just saw the ball fly over for a corner. The Torquay players appeared to go banzai when it was given. Nabi was nowhere near the goal if he did handball it. was that really a sending off.

A word on our keeper he is excellent. A word on the referee - he was shocking.

If we had a full contingent of players I think we would probably win the league. Unfortunately half of them always seem to be injured and I think we might struggle to beat Billericay with half a team.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I was at the game, Fans we’re out standing.

Macdonald was our best player hands down.

I say it was a point earned considering how bad we were. We honestly deserved to lose.

I hope we change the line up next game

Now Essuman is injured go with a back 4. Ben Wynter In RB.

Put Opi on winger. Hopefully Hall is back so we can drop Kala. He’s been so quiet and poor these last 2 games
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dreadful result in our quest to win this league. Clearly we are relying too much on the Bristol city lads. Reality check for these players tonight. Winning this league requires you to beat the Weston, Oxford city, slough, Gloucester none of which we are capable off. To have our keeper as our star tonight is concerning. Lose on Saturday and the gap will be 10(11with gd).
Lucy