Weston Super Mare v Torquay United 30/10/2018 ko 7.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I have just read the report on the OS. How disrespectful of our hosts to not even get their name right. Not just once, but throughout the article, especially in the headline. If that is the best Patrick Tinkler can do, I would suggest he looks for other employment.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bit of a crazy evening, incredible number of Torquay fans there and the players can't complain about the backing, very vocal and noisy for the most part. Weston ran out of food, beer and change at the turnstile as they were letting people in for a tenner as a result. I think the Weston players are taking the piss out of their manager if they can play like that , I know they raised their game but so should we have, to counter it..As GJ said we needed more players to go and make things happen as Opi did for his goal. Thought Keating should have scored with that header and Reidy was very unlucky when he turned and hit a screamer from 20 yards against the underside of the bar, very close to crossing the line. Connor Evans was easily our best player along with MacDonald which tells you that we let Weston cause us more problems than we should have. Going to be very difficult to win this league when teams raise their game like Weston did but we have to deal with it.
Kalala won't stay in the team with his casual style of play , no surprise he didn't come out for the second half
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

grockle wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 04:50 I have just read the report on the OS. How disrespectful of our hosts to not even get their name right. Not just once, but throughout the article, especially in the headline. If that is the best Patrick Tinkler can do, I would suggest he looks for other employment.
I would suggests "Westerns" food and beverage manager looks for other employment too :) oh and it's to our hosts not of our hosts!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Sorry! By the way, if you want to be pedantic, no 's' on the end of suggest!!
Last edited by grockle on 31 Oct 2018, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Whilst a below par performance, we should have won this game, but gave away too much possession, especially at the later stages, after taking the lead. Closing out games, when needed, will be important going forward. Too many wasted set pieces, last night, and more work on free kicks will be tasked to the players by GJ. Most of the incredible number of Torquay supporters, will have left the ground disappointed with a point instead of three, which shows how the situation has changed since GJ's arrival. A reality check, indeed, on a freezing night. GJ, however, will ensure that we get ready for the 6 pointer on Saturday. Credit to Weston's players for their effort, and, they will probably be disappointed with a point also! COYY
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

2+hours each way, all i can say it was entertaining, mainly due to the masses of Torquay fans.

Turnstile i used there was no problem, no queue and very easy :) got in at 7pm.

Queue for a beer was ridiculous, didnt even bother about food, they could have made much more money if they had been organised.

Agree that clubs like Weston are not capable of puting on a game like this. Couldnt hear the announcer either so if there were any emergency announcements wouldnt have heard them.

Speaking to one of the coppers, the whole force on duty last night in Weston turned up, i ddi tell them it was the wrong end, but there we are.
TUST MEMBER
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lucy - its not a dreadful result given that we have got four points out of six in two away games.

We struggled in midfield but not surprising really given that we were forced to play Dickson who was always likely to struggle given it was his second game back.

Remember that Weston had beaten Bath in the cup and obviously raised their game, but ultimately we nearly won again and the equalizer was conceded when we were down to ten men as a result of a desperately harsh red card.

At that time we were three centre halves short in Essuman, Sendles - White and Sokolik, plus two of our midfield in Andrews and Hall.

Had both of the latter played we would have won for certain. Get a sense of perspective.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Well that was entertaining in more ways than one.
After their car park was full we had no issues with parking on the Ind est. Getting through the turnstiles was interesting. Once inside it felt like a TUFC home game, great away support apart from a very small minority.
First half was poor. Their keeper and defence were there for the taking last night and we only pressed individually and not as a team. Reid and Janner were getting particularly aggravated and you could understand why with our midfield sitting too deep enabling WSM to play out.
Not sure how their player got away with flinging Dickson to the floor like a WWE move. GJ was getting more and more incensed with Kalala who was just holding back. GJ was telling him to get involved but he was just holding back all the time.
Their first goal was a good move and clinical finish and probably deserved going in up at HT.
Eussman sustained an injury just before the interval and Wynter replaced him which didnt give me the greatest confidence for the second half.
Second half was a big improvement. Keating came on for Kalala which didnt surprise me.
Lots of incidents, Janner equalizing , Reid with a great strike hitting the bar. Opi great individual finish. A small minority of fans behind the goal throwing something at the keeper which hit him on the leg. The penalty which i really didnt see where the handball came from. Nabi being sent off and then the save and goal line clearances and then their goal. Their players going loopy celebrating in front of our fans. The fans throwing stuff at the players. McDonald trying to calm them down and clear all the stuff off the pitch. We then had a serial of Police turn up and stand behind the goal.

It was probably a fair result and GJ will be disappointed with the 1st half performance. He did warn them it was going to be difficult and we wouldnt be steam rollering this team.
How WSM get away without the required match day staff is beyond me. They knew we would bring a sizable support.What did they think that we would only bring 50-100 fans. I only saw 2-3 people who i assume where stewards without any SIA badges visible.They spent more time running out retrieving the ball. This was completely inept from WSM.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Stewards don't need an SIA badge but must now pass a course to work inside stadia. SIA badges are required for any enforcement role though which is always covered by Response teams. I doubt WSM employ many other than volunteers but with an ex Football League team visiting they most likely sought help from a local company to provide the necessary staff.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
BarneyBrick
Trialist
Trialist

Post by BarneyBrick »

I live in Weston and watch them a few times a season when my team Bristol city are not playing. The club were advertising for volunteer stewards last week so no surprise that it was so disorganised. As for the police attendance that was embarrassing they didn't have a clue. No doubt when WSM play Wrexham in the FA Cup the policing will be way over the top.

Again top support from Torquay last night made it a cracking atmosphere.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Southampton Gull wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 09:45 Stewards don't need an SIA badge but must now pass a course to work inside stadia. SIA badges are required for any enforcement role though which is always covered by Response teams. I doubt WSM employ many other than volunteers but with an ex Football League team visiting they most likely sought help from a local company to provide the necessary staff.
Thanks for that info Dave, I couldnt remember what was required. It really was a joke though. WSM should have sourced outside help knowing they would have had a sizable away support turning up.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've run response teams at Reading, Southampton and West Ham, in most cases even the stewards there have SIA badges but the ridiculous thing now is that you could have a guy pass his Spectator Safety course with no security experience and he'd be allowed to work in a football stadium whereas someone like me with a Close Protection badge couldn't work unless I passed the stupid course. You've got to love the people who come up with this rubbish.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

To my mind the police were called by the ref when he stopped the game after what he thought initially was the Weston keeper time wasting but only to realise the keeper was saying he had been hit. The ref came over to the home dug out and asked for the police to be called is my take. So as a result the police did go to the right end.
The 'incident' at the other end with the rubbish bin tipped on to the pitch near the corner flag came late on; there's no way that number of police could have been mustered in the time of that incident.
Now W-S-M are asking for any supporters with video/photos evidence to pass on to the police.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

SBP wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 09:33 Well that was entertaining in more ways than one.
After their car park was full we had no issues with parking on the Ind est. Getting through the turnstiles was interesting. Once inside it felt like a TUFC home game, great away support apart from a very small minority.
First half was poor. Their keeper and defence were there for the taking last night and we only pressed individually and not as a team. Reid and Janner were getting particularly aggravated and you could understand why with our midfield sitting too deep enabling WSM to play out.
Not sure how their player got away with flinging Dickson to the floor like a WWE move. GJ was getting more and more incensed with Kalala who was just holding back. GJ was telling him to get involved but he was just holding back all the time.
Their first goal was a good move and clinical finish and probably deserved going in up at HT.
Eussman sustained an injury just before the interval and Wynter replaced him which didnt give me the greatest confidence for the second half.
Second half was a big improvement. Keating came on for Kalala which didnt surprise me.
Lots of incidents, Janner equalizing , Reid with a great strike hitting the bar. Opi great individual finish. A small minority of fans behind the goal throwing something at the keeper which hit him on the leg. The penalty which i really didnt see where the handball came from. Nabi being sent off and then the save and goal line clearances and then their goal. Their players going loopy celebrating in front of our fans. The fans throwing stuff at the players. McDonald trying to calm them down and clear all the stuff off the pitch. We then had a serial of Police turn up and stand behind the goal.

It was probably a fair result and GJ will be disappointed with the 1st half performance. He did warn them it was going to be difficult and we wouldnt be steam rollering this team.
How WSM get away without the required match day staff is beyond me. They knew we would bring a sizable support.What did they think that we would only bring 50-100 fans. I only saw 2-3 people who i assume where stewards without any SIA badges visible.They spent more time running out retrieving the ball. [highlight=yellow]This was completely inept from WSM.[/highlight]
So - you are blaming WSM? How about looking closer to home at those throwing things onto the pitch and at their players. It has also been reported that someone 'spat' at their goalkeeper. Make no mistake - we might be a big club and a large fan base for the division we now find ourselves in but that is no excuse for this type of behaviour. Passion is one thing but disorderly behaviour is another and should not be accepted in any circumstances. Fantastic turnout and support by 98% who attended in our name which has been tarnished by the select 2% of complete and utter morons.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There was trouble on the opposite side of the ground to the dugouts as well as in the main stand in the second half.

What was the point in the police patrolling an empty half of the pitch after the final whistle had gone when the crowd was at the other end. Completely daft.

Perhaps WSM should be asking to review video evidence to see if they could locate a steward anywhere or review the local constabularys completely hopeless and inept response to the situation both inside and outside the ground after the end of the game.