Alex Bass

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Alex Bass

Post by grockle »

When we signed Alex in July, the OS said it was a season long loan, why then is The News Portsmouth saying we have him until Jan 7th?

They cannot both be correct. If The News is right, then that would explain why Portsmouth don't want him cup-tied. If the OS is right then why do Portsmouth not want him playing in cup matches?

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I expect Portsmouth have a recall clause if both their 1st and 2nd choice Goalkeepers are injured and that is why they do not want him Cup tied.

Hopefully the Portsmouth Evening News is factually incorrect as we are under the clear impression Alex is on a season long loan.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The fact Portsmouth don't want him cup tied shows how highly they rate him. As for how long he's with us is neither here nor there, he's not our player.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

If it till January and we didn’t renew it, I wouldn’t be as concerned, don’t get me wrong Bass is good but Macdonald has filled his boots. We’ve easily got the best back up keeper in the league
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It may be they plan to play him in the cup games for experience.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Alex Bass gone, recalled by Portsmouth.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Definitely going back to Portsmouth, due to their second choice keeper suffering an injury. C'est la vie.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Sorry to see Alex go but we have a very able keeper in Shaun and to be honest it`s difficult to pick between them as first choice. Certainly it makes GJ`s team selection easier. I hope we have a good second choice in case of injury.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Based on Gary Johnson's comments only a day or two ago, this must have come as a complete surprise. That does highlight the risk of relying too heavily on loan players, although hopefully communication is better between GJ and the Bristol City manager if any of the others are getting recalled at any point. As long as we are prepared then we have a good squad of players to rely on, and we were hoping to add "one or two" more still - but on current form there's no rush.

I agree that having to play MacDonald is no problem at all, but if he were to get injured it would leave us in trouble, so we might still need to replace Bass, promising though Burton may be.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Forgive me, slightly off topic but had me thinking how fortunate we`ve been in that position in the 50 plus years I`ve been spectating..Andy Donnelly, Mike Mahoney, Kenny Allen, Ken Veysey, Neville Southall and Kevin Dearden spring to mind.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Can't really blame Portsmouth for re-calling him. Thankfully we have a great number 2 that has been our number 1 for most of the season. So in reality it doesn't matter bass has been recalled.
Lucy
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

And don't forget Gary Maguire and the greatest of them all, Terry Adlington.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Thanks Wivel, "Handy Andy" was the first keeper I "remember" seeing but for sure I heard Terry Adlington was a very fine keeper indeed.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Veysey really was a fine keeper, best in my time as a Gulls fan.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Bass’ return to Pompey opens up a loan spot in the first team squad. We will now only be fielding (if selected) the Bristol City quartet and thus Gary Johnson has the opportunity to bolster the team with a further loan acquisition. I think we’re sufficiently well covered in defence, so maybe another attacking option? I’m sure he’s all over it already. It will be interesting to see if there is any activity over the forthcoming days.