Torquay united V Winchester city 20/10/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

If we had kept it simple there were a couple of more goals to be had. That said, I think they were in damage limitation mode in the second half. Credit to Hall for keeping in the same effective manner from start to finish, which in my mind made him deservedly MOTM
TUST number 080
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Really enjoyable match. Winchester's manager was having a right go at the officials at half-time, though I've no idea why. It was notable that the Winchester staff completely ignored the officials at the end of the game, which seemed odd. No idea what their problem was.
TUST member 203
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

divingbboy wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:08 Really enjoyable match. Winchester's manager was having a right go at the officials at half-time, though I've no idea why. It was notable that the Winchester staff completely ignored the officials at the end of the game, which seemed odd. No idea what their problem was.
The manager and his number two were incensed by some of our challenges which were nothing out of the ordinary nor were they fouls. And that was against a background of some really nasty challenges from a couple of their players. They continued to berate the fourth official and linesman nearest to them while the first half was progressing and is seemed to me that they were frustrated and bad losers as that was when we built our three goal lead at half time. Their manager was a bit like a thin Steve Evans.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

It's all about income in the first round. So a winnable tie, get the bonus for winning in round 1 & a place in round 2 please.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Parkys People wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 18:40 It's all about income in the first round. So a winnable tie, get the bonus for winning in round 1 & a place in round 2 please.
The telly like showing the lowest ranked team. So the lowest ranked team at home, please.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I find it remarkable that the Winchester management could complain at some of the tackles their players were experiencing, their no 2 should have had a scythe in his hand the way he was dishing out tackles in the first half, this was not our best performance by any stretch of the imagination but it was comfortable, not sure what was going on with our shirt numbers, if the object was to confuse the opposition well I can say it certainly worked on me. can confirm that reidy defo made the second goal with his cross but had one of those I couldn't score if there was no opposition days, but his industry was to be commended.
Nice to see keating go down the touchline so many times in the second half, a portion of our game that we sadly lack, he certainly caused problems.
Do not mind who we get next round, yes Plymouth or Exeter for a full house or Sunderland away for the gate money, either way this is very unusual territory for us to find ourselves in, certainly in the last few years.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What a transformation since Owers departed. Happy manager, players, supporters and even this forum is happy and let's face it even Clarke must be happy tonight with a 50k cheque. Would rather get Alfreton away than a big league team in the 1st round. But our only chance of a televised money bonus would be someone like Sunderland or Barnsley at home. Either way well done Torquayunited.
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Winchester City were completely outplayed and rarely threatened but for a part time team they battled to the very end.
I expected them to tire badly in the last 20 minutes but they did not but United did take their foot off the pedal a bit much to Gary Johnsons annoyance.
Niate and Cameron were dominant in defence and Liam Davis ran them ragged at times.
Opi Edwards is a joy to watch his acceleration is hugely impressive.Asa Hall is a non stop midfielder and today was at the centre of things in the absence of Jake Andrews.
Nice to see Janneh and Kalala get their first goals for United.
Interesting result at Billericay as Taunton Town came away with a 2-2 draw. I bet GJ will be at Taunton for the replay unless it is on the 30th when we travel 70 miles to Weston- Super- Mare who beat Bath City 1-0 today. Bit of a surprise.
I just want a Home Draw on Monday. I fancy Alfreton at Plainmoor.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

lucy I was typing my post and did not see your post until I pressed the submit button.
How strange we both picked Alfreton!!
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 17:35 Er, Barnsley away if you don't mind..... :)
:lol:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 19:34 lucy I was typing my post and did not see your post until I pressed the submit button.
How strange we both picked Alfreton!!
Away please. At least it's nearer for me to watch them and why they always seem to sign our castaways
Lucy
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 17:29 the only blot on the copy book was the penalty, well all know there's time to put your foot on it and play out from the back, there's a time to stick your boot through it, MacDonald made a real mess of it, but he's young and learning his trade, so bit harsh to single him out over that, mistakes happen, no damage done.

Yep, better for him to get that kind of error out of his system in a game we'd already wrapped up rather than against Billericay in a couple of weeks.

I expect he was just bored and wanted something to do as I don't think he had a save to make or cross to catch in the entire game. ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think our best chance of getting on the telly would be to draw Yeovil again. But the BBC will first be eyeing who Sunderland get, if they get non league opposition then I think that will be the televised match.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Isn't the First Round Proper regional?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I think it's fully national from this round on but it's been so long since we have had to worry about that I
can't remember. We are number 72 I believe.