Torquay united V Winchester city 20/10/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay united V Winchester city 20/10/18

Post by lucy6lucy »

Without disrespecting Winchester, we couldn't have a better chance off making the 1st round draw on Monday night. Gary Johnson has worked wonders in his first 5 games and suddenly there is smiles on our players faces, fans are happy, the forum is positive , surely this isn't supposed to happen at Torquay?
£25,000 for the winner of this FA Cup 4th qualifying round match, having already pocketed £25,000. A win on Saturday will have earned us a whopping £50k. Surely we can't mess this up. 3-0 torquay, bring on Exeter or Plymouth in 1st round to get on real tv and let's make some money
Last edited by Louis on 17 Oct 2018, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed United to City
Lucy
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 20:42 Without disrespecting Winchester
Well you could make a start by getting their name right 😉 .... It’s Winchester City! 👍
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 20:47 Well you could make a start by getting their name right 😉 .... It’s Winchester City! 👍
Thanks for the correction, doubt it will effect the result :lol:
Lucy
citizengull2
Trialist
Trialist

Post by citizengull2 »

I've seen both teams play many times this season as I support both teams, for Winchester City it's a shame owes wasn't still in charge as it most certainly would have been a cup upset. Johnson has changed the team mentally already so Torquay should win easily but by no means underestimate City they can attack very quickly and if Torquay start slowly I can see an away goal quite early in the game. My full time score hopefully 1-1 2-2 and a reply back at the denplan stadium .
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 20:47 Well you could make a start by getting their name right 😉 .... It’s Winchester City! 👍
Not to mention it’s Exeter CITY.

So I won’t. :clown:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

citizengull2 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 22:58 I've seen both teams play many times this season as I support both teams, for Winchester City it's a shame owes wasn't still in charge as it most certainly would have been a cup upset. Johnson has changed the team mentally already so Torquay should win easily but by no means underestimate City they can attack very quickly and if Torquay start slowly I can see an away goal quite early in the game. My full time score hopefully 1-1 2-2 and a reply back at the denplan stadium .
If Owers was still in charge Winchester City wouldn't be visiting Plainmoor on Saturday.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I wouldn't mind Argyle in the first round proper, but think we'd get hammered by the scum.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 10:13 I wouldn't mind Argyle in the first round proper, but think we'd get hammered by the scum.
They couldn't win a raffle at the moment
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

Another FA Cup game we'd be expected to win at a canter.

Sod it, enthusiasm seems to be running high through the team at the moment (thankyou Mr Johnson!) and after the very much improved second half performance at Langney Sports I'm going to stick my head on the block and go for another resounding result with Reid (yes, the same Mr Reid I have slaughtered on here on many an occasion) grabbing another hatrick so he can read this and think: 'Yes, f**k you lot, I am good, I just needed a manager - and the fickle supporters - to believe in me). Mr Reid, you have proved me so wrong with the last couple of appearances and I take my hat off to you. Mind you, play sh*te on Saturday and ... nah, only kidding.

United 6 Winchester 1 (Reid hatrick... I joked about it for the Langney Sports game, but I might even put a bet on it this time!)
Att: 1,500

For the Stattos on here: When was the last time a United player hit hatricks in consecutive games? and have we ever hit more than 10 goals in an FA Cup campaign?
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Jamie Ndah Is God
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jamie Ndah

Post by Jamie Ndah Is God »

I honestly think Torquay would be favourites to beat Argyle right now. I also think many Argyle fans would love to have Johnson in charge instead of Adams
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

One man went to mow,
Went to mow a City....

One of the strangest chants I ever heard at Plainmoor. It sometimes seemed to go one forever; and then there was the Steve Evans chant which ended....ten men in a fork lift truck couldn't lift Steve Evans...

Where in hell do these strange chants come from?

:clown:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ignore citizengull.

This is a Turkey Shoot.

Torquay 10 Winchester 0
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

United62 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 11:18

For the Stattos on here: When was the last time a United player hit hatricks in consecutive games?
The excellent Torquayfanstats tells us that Sammy Collins scored hat-tricks on 27/08/55 & 07/09/55 which could possibly have been consecutive games. And Collins again on 24/12/55 & 31/12/55.

edit: just checked Soccerbase and no these weren't in consecutive games.

https://www.torquayfanstats.com/hat-tricks

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.s ... bs=results

So maybe Marlow in the Western League in 1927? 10 days between the two games but they may have been consecutive.

Interestingly you can mark the lowest points in our history when there is a large gap between hat-tricks. 6 years without one during the Webb era and 7 blank years until Kieffer Moore in 2016.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Jerry wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 12:01 The excellent Torquayfanstats tells us that Sammy Collins scored hat-tricks on 27/08/55 & 07/09/55 which could possibly have been consecutive games. And Collins again on 24/12/55 & 31/12/55.

edit: just checked Soccerbase and no these weren't in consecutive games.

https://www.torquayfanstats.com/hat-tricks

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.s ... bs=results

So maybe Marlow in the Western League in 1927? 10 days between the two games but they may have been consecutive.

Interestingly you can mark the lowest points in our history when there is a large gap between hat-tricks. 6 years without one during the Webb era and 7 blank years until Kieffer Moore in 2016.
The 7 years between Benyon and Moore did include two seasons finishing in the League Two play offs, but went down hill (sharply) after that. Surprised that no player managed a hat-trick in our first stint in the conference, given how relatively successful it was.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

wivelgull wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 11:29 One man went to mow,
Went to mow a City....

One of the strangest chants I ever heard at Plainmoor. It sometimes seemed to go one forever; and then there was the Steve Evans chant which ended....ten men in a fork lift truck couldn't lift Steve Evans...

Where in hell do these strange chants come from?

:clown:
...Goodbye Horse, Goodbye Horse, I'll be saying goodbye to my horse....

Heard it many a time in my youth whilst squeezed* into the old (and much missed) Mini Stand but have no idea where it originated.

*Yes, children, back in those days we had proper crowds
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''