Eastbourne Borough v Torquayunited 13/10/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I think Jamie Reid has proved that there is nothing wrong with his commitment, effort and skill (at least at this level)

What was wrong was the management of him, which probably, depleted his confidence, depressed him and made him doubt himself.

The problem is many fans get so frustrated, and to be honest don't know the full situation, how any of you know what goes on I don't know, I don't think you do. But to start picking on 1 player is totally out of order.

WELL DONE JAMIE REID! KEEP IT GOING AND MAKE YOURSELF A REAL SUCCESSFUL CAREER OUT OF FOOTBALL!!
TUST MEMBER
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

kevgull wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 17:10 I wanted him out because his attitude and performance levels were shocking. The turn around is remarkable and goes to show that a good manager can bring the very best out in anyone.

Well done Jamie Reid and Gary Johnson, keep it going!
His performances and attitude have always been wholehearted. The way he was managed wasn't.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

When did we last score 4 goals away (other than FA Cup Lymington)?
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Despite what sounded like some dodgy defending today, we have the best defensive record in the NLS and have now scored 18 goals in 5 games in all competitions under Johnson at an average of 3.6 a game! Keep it up!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Staying overnight in Eastbourne so an early summary to say what an open game of football. Terrific stuff - really enjoyable to watch and 6 outstanding goals. Well done Eastbourne for making a great game but more to the point well done Torquay. We did not hold our shape well in the first half and let Eastbourne come onto us and they snatched a goal and a 1st half lead as a result. Then in the second we took control and in the space of two minutes we were 2-1 up with a cracking 25 yard peach of a goal by Andrew's and then sniffer Reid with a second on the rebound, It looked like game over at that point but again our shape was lacking and Eastbourne once again pressed us and nicked one back 2-2. With Williams and Keating on, we pressed forward again with Williams earning us penalty. Williams looked for the ball but Reidy was having none of it- he was the taker and against a man mountain goalie slotted in the perfect penalty kick. As for Reidy's third, well it was just text book stuff. A one on one encounter and Reidy outmanouvered his man with speed and skill and slotted home with perfect execution. It was joy to behold. Hat-trick for Reidy, the boy is on fire.

Great support - about 200/250 Gulls and the atmosphere at the end was special and you could see in the players faces they were enjoying every moment .

A thank you to Eastbourne FC whose fans and staff were perfect hosts.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 13 Oct 2018, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

gateman49 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:01 His performances and attitude have always been wholehearted. The way he was managed wasn't.
I agree, never been anything wrong with effort and attitude. People gave him dogs abuse and then whined because he didn't wave at them at the end of matches
TUST number 080
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A four goal second half will do me. That's an excellent win that keeps us un an upward curve. Well done Jamie Reid - couldn't be more made up for him.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 17:01
The difference when you have a proper manager - i'm sure you'd agree Teign-I <3 G.O -gull
Comedy gold ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

Jamie Reid didn't play badly or have a bad attitude or have a manager that didn't believe in him. He was a right footed player being played out of position with the majority of the Pop Side abusing him generally before he'd kicked a ball. He's now being played in a position that's more suited to his game. There's more opportunities and he is in a position to take them. what has GJ told him?...to ignore the fans.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:19 Comedy gold ;-)
Yep indeed it is, :goodpost:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Wow. What a turn round since the manager changed. Wish I’d gone today - chose the wrong to travel down to the West Country.
That tenner I put on winning the league at 25–1 before the Woking game might have been a good investment.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Delighted for Jamie Reid. Perhaps those **** who complained that he didn’t come over and clap them, simply so they could then heap abuse on him, can crawl back under their stones now.

Interesting that both our visits to Eastbourne Borough have resulted in a scoreline of 4-2, and thanks to Jamie Reid, it’s in our favour this time. After almost 6 years, it’s nice to enjoy being a Torquay fan again.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

You would have thought that their manager Jamie Howell, who played his only 3 league games for Torquay, would know that Torquay was NOT and never has been in Cornwall, as quoted in today's programme!!
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Just back from the game and a great away day. It was nervy at times, but our fitness and confidence won the game. Great hat trick from Jamie and things can only get better. Look out the rest of this league, we are coming to get you, because this current squad are on the up, up, up...... marvellous support from the yellow army & GJ came over to us, at the end, to thanks us for our support......
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Couldn't see that result at half time, we were very
poor, lumping the ball forward , struggling with
passing and movement. 2nd half was much better
though not entirely convincing but we got the goals, we do seem to struggle with those pitches
Fantastic strike from Andrews , best penalty I have seen from Reid, sidefooted with power 3-4 foot off the ground right in the corner and and similar finish for the 4th after he outmuscled and skilfully beat the defender on a long ball which he wasn't favourite for.
New man Kalala looks very good, skilful on the
ball and showed creativity
We looked shaky on long balls which they played a lot of down the flanks and middle. Losing Sendles-White was a big blow
I don't think Eastbourne deserved to lose 4-2 but who cares, but we have to be better than that for 90 minutes if we are to continue forcing our way up the towards the top of the league