Wealdstone programme v Gulls

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
timparks
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Elliot benyon

Wealdstone programme v Gulls

Post by timparks »

Hi Gulls fans - Tim here from the Wealdstone programme. I'm hoping to persuade a couple of your fans to answer some probing questions for our award-winning publication ahead of the game at Grosvenor Vale in four weeks. Our club have only met once - bizarrely, in a pre season friendly way back in August 1976 which the Stones won 3-1 against the Gulls 4th Division side. Why was that game arranged? If anybody recalls that match, or is of more recent vintage, I'd be delighted to fire some questions across... e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gulliball and CP Gull always have their fingers on the pulse.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I wasn't around in 1976, but don't mind answering some questions if you don't have anyone that does.

I am going to the Wealdstone game actually. Flying down to London before spending a week in Torquay and going to the WSM and Billericay games. Looking forward to it a lot more than I was 10 days ago.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
timparks
Trialist
Trialist

Post by timparks »

Sounds good, Gulliball. Any others welcome too.... hoping to get cross section of fandom. Torquay must be the best supported side in the NLS for years (apart from the Stones, obvs) Please email me at the address posted. Thanks!
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

timparks wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 19:55 Hi Gulls fans - Tim here from the Wealdstone programme. I'm hoping to persuade a couple of your fans to answer some probing questions for our award-winning publication ahead of the game at Grosvenor Vale in four weeks. Our club have only met once - bizarrely, in a pre season friendly way back in August 1976 which the Stones won 3-1 against the Gulls 4th Division side. Why was that game arranged? If anybody recalls that match, or is of more recent vintage, I'd be delighted to fire some questions across... e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks!
You’ve got no fans
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

timparks wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 19:55 Why was that game arranged?
You had a director who was a travel agent (A Jewish guy called Harry Benjamin) and he had done us a few favours on getting discounted flights to take the youth team to Holland for the Zeeburgia Pre-Season Tournament and this game was agreed to as a return of those favours.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Road2League2 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 21:29 You’ve got no fans
:lol: 'You wont some'
timparks
Trialist
Trialist

Post by timparks »

Merse, that's remarkable. I was just putting together some bits for the 'Rewind" article to appear in our prog for the Gulls game and had just written 'Maybe the club’s chairman Harry Benjamin (a travel agent) had a scam going with cheap coach trips and expensive hotel accommodation in the Devon Riviera. Or maybe it was a thank-you for finding a home for stout and ageing centre-back Bill Kitchener, who played for the Stones briefly the previous season after filling out the Torquay shirt admirably for many years in the late 1960s. I can’t think of any other reason. "
The Benjamin connection is very plausible. Though I did him an injustice!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

timparks wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 00:07 ...after filling out the Torquay shirt admirably for many years in the late 1960s.

pffft- I fill out the Torquay shirt quite well these days. Far better than I used to, alas..
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 23:14 :lol: [highlight=yellow]'You wont some'[/highlight]

The Wealdstone Raider :
:clap: :lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Looking forward to travelling up and see you for the first time. I know a few south east exiles have been there so will be a tough outcome for sure.