New Stadium for Exeter?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

New Stadium for Exeter?

Post by PhilGull »

So this just popped up...
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... rt-2016001

A few questions arise - Can Devon, the south/east corner of Devon support two stadiums? Will this scupper CO's plans? Will CO see this and look to jump ship ASAP leaving us in the lurch? Will CO look to ditch us and get involved in City?

On the one hand I'm laughing at the idea of CO's plans being scuppered, on the other I'm fearful for our future even more now...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

PhilGull wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 12:33 I'm fearful for our future even more now...
You need to be; everybody needs to be and not let their attention become less focussed on the long term aims of Clarke Osborne allied to the historic track record of the man...

Those aims might be perfectly honourable; that is open to debate, but what is not open to debate is his track record.

This stadium isn't proposed for the city of Exeter though is it; read carefully to see it would be within an area that reaches right down to the outer limits of Torquay, a town that provides an embarrasingly poor support for professional football; take the out of towners away from the Plainmoor crowd and what do you have left?

As I touched on, on BTPIR this morning ; why not re-locate the club to Newton Abbot or the hinterland around the Heathfield area if this 'rural city' gets built?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 13:28 You need to be; everybody needs to be and not let their attention become less focussed on the long term aims of Clarke Osborne allied to the historic track record of the man...

As I touched on, on BTPIR this morning ; why not re-locate the club to Newton Abbot or the hinterland around the Heathfield area if this 'rural city' gets built?

Such a stadium would need to be accessible for all four council area's so a centralised travel focal point of the area suggests a location near Exeter is on the agenda. This stadium proposal is nothing more than another 'pipedream' to appease the natives to enable the councils to attempt to meet the Government target for housing. The Greater Exeter Strategic Plan for this large-scale infrastructure is likely to cost more than £1 Billion. Given that their existing insfrastructure plans has a £700m 'funding gap' I would suggest any 'Stadium Sideshow' will be 20 years in the making. I am aware that the Councils are already cap in hand to the Government for funding from the public purse, just to get the Housing project underway This does not take into account the 'funding gap' for infrastucture e.g. schools, hospitals, transport, employment, environmental issues, social and public services etc. etc. It would be easier to build a city on 'Rock and Roll'.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

There is a Members' Briefing (ie: a briefing for elected councillors) next week, Wednesday 26 September at 4pm, on 'the future of Plainmoor (Torquay United)'. From the invitation list, it looks like it's the TDA giving the briefing. So get on to your councillor(s) and make sure they represent your views at the briefing and update you afterwards.
Baegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Baegull »

Just pointing out that TDA is a private ltd company and are not part of Torbay Council. They are employed by Torbay Council to provide economic growth startegies. Their own "about us" page states "..... an award winning provider of business and property services....., ".

Hmmmmm I wonder why they are interested in COs building plans ???

p.s. They actually manage many of these buildings - charging rents and have many properties from other parts of the UK.
eg they renovated the SWW building in Kings Ash to be a Hi-Tech incubation centre but then let the whole building out to the NHS to house their employees after they shut down the local hospitals such as Paignton and Newton Abbot.

just stating facts...
Tufc1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Tufc1 »

So what your saying is...
They want to be onboard Torquay's new ground.
They want to provide a business strategy and get businesses on board to move to the new site, whilst running it on a day to day basis.
Sounds ideal and very normal to me.
It's how business works.
Hopefully they can generate TUFC a lot of money from non footballing related income.
Just what we need to catch up and survive.
Also the new stadium will prodominetly be for Exeter Chiefs I would imagine.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"Hopefully they can generate TUFC a lot of money from non footballing related income."

Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
TUST MEMBER
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Indoor sports arena for Exeter Chiefs? Given they have a shiny new stadium with incredibly good leisure facilities to serve Exeter execs at Sandy Park, I think not.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

Baegull wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 13:34 Just pointing out that TDA is a private ltd company and are not part of Torbay Council. They are employed by Torbay Council to provide economic growth startegies. Their own "about us" page states "..... an award winning provider of business and property services....., ".

Hmmmmm I wonder why they are interested in COs building plans ???

p.s. They actually manage many of these buildings - charging rents and have many properties from other parts of the UK.
eg they renovated the SWW building in Kings Ash to be a Hi-Tech incubation centre but then let the whole building out to the NHS to house their employees after they shut down the local hospitals such as Paignton and Newton Abbot.

just stating facts...
Ah well, if it's facts you want:

The TDA is Torbay Council's wholly-owned and controlled economic development company. The lead member responsible is the mayor, with advice from the assistant director, corporate and business services, of the council. See here: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... ?IId=26141

The TDA and the council also share a chief executive, Steve Parrock, a situation I have long believed is a conflict of interest, but it seems I am entirely alone in that. Also, three councillors (who will have been chosen in accordance with proportionality rules and selected by their party leaders) sit on the board of the TDA.

So, private limited company it ain't.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

TorquayDNA wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 14:36 Indoor sports arena for Exeter Chiefs? Given they have a shiny new stadium with incredibly good leisure facilities to serve Exeter execs at Sandy Park, I think not.
Indeed. The Chiefs are actually the example that United should be aiming for. What they've done over the past decade and a half is incredible and a great example of a sustainable sporting business.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

TorquayDNA wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 14:36 Indoor sports arena for Exeter Chiefs? Given they have a shiny new stadium with incredibly good leisure facilities to serve Exeter execs at Sandy Park, I think not.
There are only two indoor arenas in the UK with a capacity of 20,000, the O2 and the Manchester Arena.
Who the hell honestly thinks the third one will be in the middle of Devon?
Baegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Baegull »

Soupdragon wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:40 Ah well, if it's facts you want:

The TDA is Torbay Council's wholly-owned and controlled economic development company. The lead member responsible is the mayor, with advice from the assistant director, corporate and business services, of the council. See here: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... ?IId=26141

The TDA and the council also share a chief executive, Steve Parrock, a situation I have long believed is a conflict of interest, but it seems I am entirely alone in that. Also, three councillors (who will have been chosen in accordance with proportionality rules and selected by their party leaders) sit on the board of the TDA.

So, private limited company it ain't.
Some interesting extra information there (if true) SOUPDRAGON but TDA IS IN FACT a private limited company and all my FACTS are indeed correct. read past the first sentence of the link you provided or check out companies house https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07604855
Thank you
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Baegull wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 15:16 Some interesting extra information there (if true) SOUPDRAGON but TDA IS IN FACT a private limited company and all my FACTS are indeed correct. read past the first sentence of the link you provided or check out companies house https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07604855
Thank you
You are right that it does have a separate legal identity as a limited company. The primary reason being to tap into the private sectors skills and expertise base to facilitate economic regeneration. However this does not deflect from the fact that the owner and sole shareholder (non-dividend) of this Limited Company is Torbay Borough Council.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

Well, thank you, too.

I maintain, it's not a (norrmal) private limited company, but is wholly owned by the council. Perhaps, Baegull, you might take your own advice and read past the first page ...

You'll see that the single £1 share is owned by ... yes, that would be Torbay Council.