Mental Health, Alcoholism, Substance Abuse.....

General chat about anything else goes here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Go G.O!!

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 11:25 Excuse him, he's probably pissed again ;-)
Yep that's right, mock the afflicted, even though your bound to come back & say I've taken it out of context, a bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss, alcohol has really torn a certain part of the family apart.
Attaching an emoji doesn't make it any less hurtful I'm afraid.
Stick to TUFC stuff. Ta
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've got no compassion for pissheads. I've lived with alcoholism, the lies and the excuses so don't look for any sympathy from me, especially when your posts portray an angry little man.

It's self inflicted and easily avoidable as with other addictions. If you're so fcuking sensitive about it you should have kept your trap shut.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 17:15 I've got no compassion for pissheads. I've lived with alcoholism, the lies and the excuses so don't look for any sympathy from me, especially when your posts portray an angry little man.

It's self inflicted and easily avoidable as with other addictions. If you're so fcuking sensitive about it you should have kept your trap shut.
As is being a insensitive prat, oh well , we move on once again .
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 09:22 I've done your dirty work for you ( why you couldn't , is beyond me ) however, e-mail sent with questions asked .
Await reply situated breath.
KBW & proud of it.
As an aside from your fight with SG, I’m at a bit of a loss as to why you had to reply so aggressively. All you really needed to say was that you’d sent an email and that you hope others do too to help add weight to the argument.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Because he only applies standards to other people instead of judging his own actions. Typical pisshead really 😉
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 19:15 As an aside from your fight with SG, I’m at a bit of a loss as to why you had to reply so aggressively. All you really needed to say was that you’d sent an email and that you hope others do too to help add weight to the argument.
Aggressive ? No, extremely frustrated @ the lack of meaningful action from the club ? Yes if it comes across as aggression well, then please accept my apologies.
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 17:15 I've got no compassion for pissheads. I've lived with alcoholism, the lies and the excuses so don't look for any sympathy from me, especially when your posts portray an angry little man.

What a vacuous, ignorant man you must be if that's what you believe about mental health illnesses. Thankfully you're in a decreasing minority of insensitive dinosaurs.

I don't usually like to wade into online arguments but as you're a forum admin I find it thoroughly disgusting. I could go on but I won't (especially as it's a football forum). Shame on you.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

TorquayDNA wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 22:25 What a vacuous, ignorant man you must be if that's what you believe about mental health illnesses. Thankfully you're in a decreasing minority of insensitive dinosaurs.

I don't usually like to wade into online arguments but as you're a forum admin I find it thoroughly disgusting. I could go on but I won't (especially as it's a football forum). Shame on you.
Administrator = elitist buffoon
Thank you DNA for your support, much appreciated
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Alcoholism isn't anything to do with mental health it's an addiction and one I've lived with and have personal experience of so don't try to take any kind of moral high ground.

Make all the excuses you like for it but it's self afflicted and having experienced it first hand and having dealt with the effect it has on others I'll happily stand by every word I've said.

No time for pissheads, I deal with people under the influence daily and snowflakes like you two just fuel the problem.
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 22:43
Administrator = elitist buffoon
Your comments have been noted. Thanks....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Whilst i slightly disagree with but fully respect Dave's views on alcohol addiction which is by the by, i can say that both Dave and Scott have always been bang on with me on here despite being aware that i'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic at times. I have mental health challenges and unlike some posters on here, they've always tried to look beyond that and use their depth of understanding of it to appreciate that many of my posts may be posted in an erratic, reactive, illogical and pessimistic manner reflecting my struggles with illness at varying times. They have not bullied, deliberately tried to wind me up or acted disrespectfully towards me despite probably disagreeing with most things i post.

As far as i'm aware they also afford this respect to any other fans who post on here generally speaking.

I think TorquayDNA may have his / her wires crossed about Dave's intentions and views as it's aimed at alcoholics although IMO mental health issues do come into play with a lot of alcohol issues in people which i think is maybe where Dave is getting crossed wires maybe? I'm not sure.

Anyway. What i think we all can agree on is that Owers needs to f**k off and quick. :-D
zebgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by zebgull »

TorquayDNA wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 22:25 What a vacuous, ignorant man you must be if that's what you believe about mental health illnesses. Thankfully you're in a decreasing minority of insensitive dinosaurs.

:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 23:45 Whilst i slightly disagree with but fully respect Dave's views on alcohol addiction which is by the by, i can say that both Dave and Scott have always been bang on with me on here despite being aware that i'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic at times. I have mental health challenges and unlike some posters on here, they've always tried to look beyond that and use their depth of understanding of it to appreciate that many of my posts may be posted in an erratic, reactive, illogical and pessimistic manner reflecting my struggles with illness at varying times. They have not bullied, deliberately tried to wind me up or acted disrespectfully towards me despite probably disagreeing with most things i post.

As far as i'm aware they also afford this respect to any other fans who post on here generally speaking.

I think TorquayDNA may have his / her wires crossed about Dave's intentions and views as it's aimed at alcoholics although IMO mental health issues do come into play with a lot of alcohol issues in people which i think is maybe where Dave is getting crossed wires maybe? I'm not sure.

Anyway. What i think we all can agree on is that Owers needs to f**k off and quick. :-D
Having spent most of my life dealing with the actions of those that abuse alcohol I can differentiate between substance abuse and mental health. If some snowflake wants to excuse an alcoholic under the banner of mental health then that's for him to deal with. I've saved numerous lives from being lost through substance and alcohol abuse, it's a totally different issue in my view to be excused under mental health. I have no sympathy for any individual that allows him or herself to become hooked on any substance including alcohol. Try watching the youth of today so off their faces on drugs and alcohol they don't know what day of the week it is.

To come on here and create a thread mocking the issue based on our clubs current plight and then throw silly personal insults and still try to cling to the moral high ground shows up the angry little man from Teignmouth for what he is. I'm just seeing the difference between alcoholism and mental health. Never did I mock anyone or anything to do with mental health issues. What is actually funny though is the sad attempt to insinuate I did so, nothing of the sort!!
Dave

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Fair do's Dave. I don't know much about the level of abuse you are seeing regularly. I was more talking from my own experiences of becoming alcohol dependant simply to dampen persistent elevated anxiety even at rest which is drinking due a mental health condition. However, I cannot begin to imagine what you must see out on the streets when dealing with cases a million times worse and a million times more destructive than mine.

I was just trying to highlight the link between mental disorder and self medication but I agree with the fact that nobody makes me do it. I have a choice but it doesn't make it any easier. In my situation I'm not causing carnage to others lives like the people and situations you come across Dave so in that respect I agree with you.

I drink at home, don't let the kids see, get on with life and manage my anxiety without bothering others. I could blame the effing useless medical profession for wanting to chuck endless pills down your neck turning you into a nervous wreck before they finally come across one that slightly works rather than addressing the real issues of mental health. But they aren't able to do that within my '10 minute appointment'.

I drink instead. It's easier and yes, it's an excuse but until I can find an alternative then it will have to do but I don't let it effect other people like those you see out and about.

I know what you were trying to get across though Dave and if only people could be responsible for their actions and think of others the world would be a better place.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Yorkieandy is spot on, there is a world of difference between youngsters getting drunk and experimenting with drugs etc and somebody who uses alcohol to effectively self-medicate due to symptoms of mental disorder or PTSD. There is a huge link between mental health and substance misuse. If SG is going to state how he deals with 'pissheads', as he calls them, daily i can say i am somebody who has worked in mental health for over 20 years and the link is udeniable.
I find SG's over-generalised comments to be ignorant and ill informed. Nothing to do with your so called 'snowflake' either - it's called having insight.