Mental Health, Alcoholism, Substance Abuse.....

General chat about anything else goes here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

The 3 'alcohol dependent' folk that I have known in my life did absolutely not have mental health issues. I strongly believe that many factors can push people to alcoholism - but to say that is is caused by underlying mental health issues is, in my opinion, just not true. Obviously some sufferers with mental health illnesses will turn to alcohol but not all do. Everyone who has experience of friends, relatives or colleagues who are 'pissheads' will have their own view which is fine, but you will never convince me that mental health complaints and alcohol dependency go hand in hand.
I have not had a drink for 3 years, nor do I want one but would not last a day without caffeine or my e-cig. Everyone has their own addictions but not all are as a result of mental health problems.

Anyhoo, GO has gone, thank ****. I shall raise a mug of Kenco to that good news.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glad you put this own its own thread Dave.
I, of course have had experience as a Registered Nurse with alcoholics and of patients with mental illness.
There is a definite divide/difference between the two.
Alcoholics have a choice in respect of the fact that they choose to be like that.
There are numerous celebs with this issue including footballers now and in the past - George (the Legend) Best and Tony Adams for example.
Mental Illness can have an organic mechanism in origin and there are several manifestations of it and is therefore totally different.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm in no way any kind of health care professional, just going share some thoughts down to recent personal experience. a few months ago someone I'd known for over 30 years since we were teenagers, same school year as me, even coaching his now grown up son at football, took his own life, a few short weeks later, which gained press coverage, a young footballer a good friend of my son, and through that I had got to know the lad, also took his own life at the age of just 24. further to that, a close friend of mine recently admitted to me, and couple of other friends and finally his family, that he'd been feeling depressed for some time, thankfully, so as between us we've got him to go a seek help. Point to that is, none of these people were alcohol dependant, so that leads me to believe there just can't be a definite link between the two.

Although I'm not denying there can be a link, as people with mental health problems will look for a coping mechanism, and I guess alcohol can be one such mechanism some will turn to.

There is someone who lives on my road, who is an alcoholic he's known to our family and has been for many years, and to be fair he'd got himself cleaned up and was off drink for 10 years, until the death of his mother, so he had our sympathy. Mrs forever invested a lot of her time to help him, talking to support charities, social services on his behalf, even the Police as he'd come to their attention, she lined up all the support he needed, through her help he had a guilt edged chance to return a clean life, but threw the lot back in her face.

I was quite brutal with him a while ago, told him to his face, that he's lying about his problems, he's lying to the very people who want help him, and worst of all he’s lying to himself.

There is difference, and a difference between those who do and do not deserve the sympathy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I have a brother who suffered PTSD through years of military service, a brother in law who gambled his wages away between receiving them and getting home the same day, a sister who suffered years of the most violent domestic abuse a daughter who had real not imagined mental health issues, a father who believed his right hand was given to him just to batter my brothers and me and I am eternally grateful if not a little surprised that these issues never visited me, I do not care whose side you take in these postings , that we are having the discussion is the only important consideration, because if you remove the name calling and stigmatism of these conditions then you can start to treat the condition.