Torquay United v Chippenham Town 08/09/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Torquay United v Chippenham Town 08/09/18

Post by Admiral »

Another home game we need to win on the back of a much-needed 3 points last Saturday.

We’re still managed by a buffoon so I’m not getting excited about a 2-0 home win against Hemel. These are the games we should be winning.

I’ve got a feeling we’ll nick this one late. The fixture looks like a friendly match we’d once have played our second string against, but this is where we are now.

1-0 (Reid)
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

We need to be smashing teams like Chippenham and Hungerford. What bothers me is that Chipp have scored 14 so far and their strikers know where the net is. They've conceded 14 as well so defensively are rocky. Creating chances and more importantly taking them is vital. I've zero confidence that Owers will have solved our creative problems. Maybe a lucky 1-0 if we can keep a clean sheet.

On another note I see from the Herald that our moron of a manager is "happy" that we are only 8 points behind Woking. We're on 12 points, Woking 21. Yet another example of his Abbottesque management skills.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

If I may digress slightly - someone can suggest a new tactic to Gary Owers - last night I watched Pattaya Utd v Nakhon Ratachasima in the Thai PL. Brazilian Antonio Pina, of NR (the Swatcats), scored after 2 mins with a searing shot from the halfway line flashing over Pattaya's retreating Goalie.

After that Pattaya dominated totally for 88 minutes without any success - some amazing goalkeeping from NR's Cunningham on view.

So that's the plan for Saturday then - Jamie Reid will score from the half way line after 1 minute, before the Chippenham Goalie has settled down - we know it can be done - so that should be ok. Then the Gulls hold on. ATB
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

I note Alfreton Town (who have now won 4 on the bounce) appear to be hoping to keep Josh Gowling for longer as they have released a central defender. Be a great shame if he does not come back very soon IMO. Our defender injuries seem to be likely to go on for several weeks at least.
The first half on Saturday suggests defensive improvement is urgently needed. Praise to the team though for hanging on in there and getting the result in the end. Great to see Jamie Read scoring as it should boost his confidence.
Chippenham prediction 3 2 win for Gulls.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Swatcat wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 12:51 If I may digress slightly - someone can suggest a new tactic to Gary Owers - last night I watched Pattaya Utd v Nakhon Ratachasima in the Thai PL. Brazilian Antonio Pina, of NR (the Swatcats), scored after 2 mins with a searing shot from the halfway line flashing over Pattaya's retreating Goalie.

After that Pattaya dominated totally for 88 minutes without any success - some amazing goalkeeping from NR's Cunningham on view.

So that's the plan for Saturday then - Jamie Reid will score from the half way line after 1 minute, before the Chippenham Goalie has settled down - we know it can be done - so that should be ok. Then the Gulls hold on. ATB
WTF !
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

jimhart33 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 14:13 I note Alfreton Town (who have now won 4 on the bounce) appear to be hoping to keep Josh Gowling for longer as they have released a central defender. Be a great shame if he does not come back very soon IMO. Our defender injuries seem to be likely to go on for several weeks at least.
The first half on Saturday suggests defensive improvement is urgently needed. Praise to the team though for hanging on in there and getting the result in the end. Great to see Jamie Read scoring as it should boost his confidence.
Chippenham prediction 3 2 win for Gulls.
The delusion amongst you poor sucked in snowflakes is quite frankly nothing short bizarre !
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Hi Teigngull
I am as pessimistic as everyone else should be about our overall position and prospects for this season being stuck with GO and all. GO should have gone 3 times over last season. But we seem to be stuck with him whatever!
Therefore I am making an attempt to keep sane by hoping against hope that things will improve rapidly, despite little evidence on the pitch even in the matches that we have won.
I still believe JG would be an asset but I expect he also has given up with GO.
Regards
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Not forgetting that results always seem to improve when he plays ......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am sure Wiggy will come back into the equation when his loan finishes - I think Mr Owers said as much in a recent radio interview.

I don't think its likely his loan period will be extended at the the moment seeing as though his two first choice defenders Sokolik and Niate are still out injured.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 16:43 Not forgetting that results always seem to improve when he plays ......
Ha Ha, if ever the word delusion was ever so apt.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

0 0 at half time, cue boos all round "osborne out" "harrop out" "owers out".
3 0 full time Reid hat trick and he is carried shoulder high from the pitch by adoring fans.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Playing Chippenham town in a competitive league match is embarrassing, but we have to accept we are in this league for a reason. What is acceptable is that we have to win this match. Gowling and Owers don't get on, as Owers is the manager and is going no where, Gowling won't be returning I would imagine. 3-0 Torquayunited
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Chippenham are a well supported side for the standard and have always had fairly good sides. Played there and managed against them a few times. They will make it hard for us.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Chippenham lay one place below us in the table on the same number of points. They have already claimed the scalps of Billericay, Slough and Concord Rangers, and are also familiar with Plainmoor having already beaten Truro away. This is not going to be an easy fixture.
0-1.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 18:46 Ha Ha, if ever the word delusion was ever so apt.
Considering you're one of those fools that has complete faith in Owers I'm surprised you've got the cohones to call anyone else deluded when they are actually quoting facts. Fact, our record is better when Gowling plays. Fact, Alfreton have just won four on the trot since he signed for them. Who is the deluded one?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com