Osborne meeting with Kevin Foster MP and Cllr

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Osborne meeting with Kevin Foster MP and Cllr

Post by CraigUnder »

https://www.kevinjfoster.com/news/tufc- ... plan-talks

Great to see the continued engagement and evident importance of the issue from Kevin Foster MP and David Thomas Cllr, This meeting is evidence that Osborne thought he could spin his tale of promises and pretty pictures without scrutiny.. If this doesn’t show that Osborne has no good intentions for TUFC, nothing will.

Complete incompetence from Osborne.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Very interesting and eloquent comments from Kevin Foster M. P.

The more I think about this the more I realise on access grounds alone this is a complete non starter.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

From Kevin Foster post:
"We made clear to Mr Osborne and his team they must demonstrate three core areas had been satisfied. These were:

1. Whether the site as a former landfill could physically take the development concerned.

2. A detailed transport assessment, especially in relation to the suggested events arena and traffic arrangements for it.

3. An ecology assessment of whether the site was suitable for such a development."

Surely Cavanna Homes who have developed the whole of the Willows apart from this area must of done some research into whether this area could be built upon.

Would be interesting if anyone could find out what their surveys showed.
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Kevin Foster = our only hope.

Good lad, at least/last someone holding CO to account.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

WHG surely the point is that Cavanna Homes did NOT build on this area because it was the old rubbish tip and heavily contaminated.
You say it yourself "apart from this area".
Everyone knows it seems except Mr. Osborne.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I think Kevin foster needs to be commended. He and his fellow councillor have asked questions that the HE would never ask. Basically it ain't going to happen so what's your next plan Osborne
Lucy
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

This is good news. Well done Kevin Foster.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Given Osbourne's experience in the making of these proposals he does seem utterly clueless in how to go about it. "it became clear they had either not been advised to do so or did not realise the impact of failing to do so before launching a scheme" (talk to councillors or council officials).
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It only seems utterly clueless if he actually has plans to build one.....he doesn't.

Everything CO/GI have presented has been ill thought out, knock offs of other grounds with no business plan, it is literally something a work experience bored 15 year old would knock up. It is completely pie in the sky trying to dazzle people who don't really care about the club with fancy pictures and the financial benefits of selling off Plainmoor.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

royalgull wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 14:52 It only seems utterly clueless if he actually has plans to build one.....he doesn't.
Everything CO/GI have presented has been ill thought out, knock offs of other grounds with no business plan, it is literally something a work experience bored 15 year old would knock up. It is completely pie in the sky trying to dazzle people who don't really care about the club with fancy pictures and the financial benefits of selling off Plainmoor.
Exactly; read this:
https://pitchinvasion.net/eastville-sta ... -fire-gas/

...and take note how Osborne's company then went on to trouser almost £1 million out of the fire insurance that caused the structural damage that persuaded Bristol Rovers they'd be better off moving out of Eastville, and not because 'they initiated it' as Osborne fraudulently makes out thirty years after.

Gaming International (or the Bristol Stadium Company as it then was) were claiming that they had wonderful plans for a spectacular new stadium at Eastville way back then as they always seem to do but never actually achieve. I wonder why?

It is an IKEA with a Tesco next door now!

And as I am always at pains to point out; the good news is that the council has kept hold of the freehold. It will be the end of Torquay United AFC Limited if Osborne gets his way and is presented with the carrot of foolishness that Dave Phillips and his board of incompetents were offering of the Club complete with this notional freehold to attract property developers to try to turn something they bought for £1 into something they could sell for 'the price of a detached house' as it was promoted to us at the time.

Never, ever take your eye off the ball with these characters!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Osborne is labelled a property developer when in reality he's a land grabber who builds nothing that has anything to do with sports stadia. People are still fooled by him amazingly. Now we're being told by some he has TUFC's interests at heart, like **** he does !!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

At least Kevin Foster is aware of his dubious character unlike the Mayor.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Not sure but I think he's a solicitor at Temple Meads Bristol as well could be wrong.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

And using a 9 year old image of a stadium in India. Own goal or what.....
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Merse: are you saying that Osborne snapped up Plainmoor stadium for its potential development value rather than sporting reasons.

Over the week-end I has a pint with an old associate of mine who happens to be in the Land Remediation Industry. I asked him if it is possible to build residential housing and a Stadium on a Land Fill site. The simple answer was 'Yes' and being in the industry his answers were as you would expect positive.

I asked him about the process - most of it went over my head but in summary it was about removing the cap tonnage to reveal the waste tonnage. The cap is reprocessed for engineered fill with the landfill waste segregated for processing and remediation. Simple huh!

I asked him about dewatering such a site. He told me he had just concluded a test on a Landfill site that would require dewatering at the rate of 50,000 Litres (13,200 gallons) per day in order to facilitate access to the waste, sampling the underlying soils, and backfilling the excavation. The water would be defiltered into unexcavated land and the rest would be transported to sewage plants.

When I said that must pose a challenge he retorted there are greater challenges in terms of depth of fill, surrounding housing development, environmental and road transport issue.

So what is the time scale for such a landfill project I asked: the reply was dependent on the challenge, so anywhere between 24 and 34 months. (quite time-consuming which is why I guess we have a five year plan)

I asked him about the financial consequences. He was somewhat reserved on this subject but gave me an insight of a previous council deal (not Torbay, I hasten to add). He told me capital due to remediation costs, the market Value of the site was estimated to be £nil. Once remediation was complete the Council would receive a capital receipt reflecting a percentage of the remediated value of the land. I did not push my luck in asking what the final percentage of remediated value was for the Council.

It was all very insightful stuff and did get me to add two and two together in which I conclude that Osborne wants the Plainmoor freehold on the cheap and Nightingale for £nothing. Once he has achieved that goal he is free to do what he wants with Torquay United which in my opinion is too off-load it or wind it up.

I do also question who is paying? Remediation of landfill is very expensive running into the £millions. Is Osborne putting his hand in his pockets or are the resident of Torbay expected to pay for it through a Council run environmental budgeted scheme.

Many questions to raise - but the one thing you are right about is:

Never, ever take your eye off the ball with these characters!