Torquay United v Hemel Hempstead Town, Saturday 1st September 2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Boy do we make it hard for ourselves the first half was only a bit better than last week. Bass in our goal was outstanding and I don't know what he is doing playing for us he kept us in the game single handed. The other two loan players from Bristol City also did very well Andrews looks better than George Dowling.
After seeing Edwards I thought going in at half time Owers should have told the midfield he's their outlet get it into his feet and let him get at the fullback and get crosses in but we never used him very much second half.
Reid did well but this is just one game I hope that he can put in another performance next week credit to him. :keepie:
I thought we gave the ball away to cheaply in midfield Regis the main culprit we can only get better if and when the centre halves get fit again. :keepie:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What a fantastic victory and well done to Mr Owers for his excellent loan signings of Edwards and Andrews.

Lets hope that Mr Owers enjoys his Saturday night for a change and puts his feet up with a bottle of fine wine. If anybody deserves it he does.

Congraulations also to Mr Jamie Reid who rose above the abuse to net the goal that sent us on our way.

Lets hope that Mr Brewhoot, Mr Floyd, Mr Richinns and co enjoy their Sunday dinner tomorrow. I wonder if they will be having an extra portion of gravy with their humble pie?. Mmmmmmmmmm bet its going to taste sooooooooooooo good.

Just being serious for a moment though - what a bunch of absolute tosspots these people actually are.

Anyway, I am off to raise a glass or tw0 to Mr Owers and the boys. COYY. ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 18:54 What a fantastic victory and well done to Mr Owers for his excellent loan signings of Edwards and Andrews.

Lets hope that Mr Owers enjoys his Saturday night for a change and puts his feet up with a bottle of fine wine. If anybody deserves it he does.

Congraulations also to Mr Jamie Reid who rose above the abuse to net the goal that sent us on our way.

Lets hope that Mr Brewhoot, Mr Floyd, Mr Richinns and co enjoy their Sunday dinner tomorrow. I wonder if they will be having an extra portion of gravy with their humble pie?. Mmmmmmmmmm bet its going to taste sooooooooooooo good.

Just being serious for a moment though - what a bunch of absolute tosspots these people actually are.

Anyway, I am off to raise a glass or tow to Mr Owers and the boys. COYY. ;-)
Were you actually there this afternoon? As others have posted, we could have easily been 3 - 0 down by half time. Hemel Hempstead were given time on the ball and outplayed us. The second half was a different story as the part-time players ran out of steam and yes, Edwards and Andrews made a hell of a difference. But don't get carried away by thinking this was an easy win. It most certainly wasn't.
Serpico73
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Serpico73 »

Andrews and Edwards were just the tonic we were looking for...with the creative and running edge we have been lacking. ..where at times (mostly)all season haven't moved the ball quick enough. ..in the final half...
Surprised one of them didn't get the nod for MOTM probably Andrews edged it....for me...but also glad for Reidy with a goal also..hopefully that bit of confidence will ignite things for him to push on with more goals. .Time will tell...
Yellow Army March On...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

So those Brucie, those slating Owers are foolish?

Read this gem you posted about Ling - you know, the guy who got us to the play-offs, in a division two leagues higher than this. Owers winning in the NLS is no achievement.

brucie » 16 Oct 2011, 11:12

Not sure how much money I have saved but its in the hundreds of pounds by not going to watch this shite, this season. Mcphee/Saah/Rice/Leadbitter/Atieno/Halpin/Macklin/Rowe-Turner - not one of these players would get a sniff of a first team game in any other League 2 side.
Yet according to Dr Frankenstein the answer to our problems lie within the squad. And you think I am a moron. The answer lies in the fact that we have not got enough League 2 standard players.
Thats the problem pure and simple.
As someone else said we need 35 points for safety. If anyone seriously thinks we will get anywhere near that total with the players we have at the moment they are barking mad.
The board of directors has a decent enough list of candidates for the managerial job and flew in the face of reason by appointing Ling who was clueless in his last job.
God knows how he blagged himself into this job but with Tim nice but dim as chairman is it any wonder?
If anyone seriously thinks that Ling knows what he is doing then consider the article on the official site about Ellis.
Our defence is hopeless - Ellis the only worthwhile alternative cannot get a game due to golden balls Saah. Ellis asks for a transfer so Ling now says he is going to play him in the first team.
Yet he says that Ellis was poor in the reserve defeat against Cheltenham. Now if ever there was flawed reasoning that is it.
It is an unmitigated disaster unfolding as we speak
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well that's a tale of two halves if there ever was one. Make no bones about it, first half we were nervous, lacking confidence, and as bad as I've seen all season, two first saves from Bass, two open goals missed by Hemel, one dragged wide, the other headed against the post, was the only that stood between us and this game being over at half time.

Second half things improved, got Andrews and Edwards more into the game, however I feel the game turned in our favour on the Keating for Williams substitution, all of a sudden having a forward pressing, constantly asking questions of the Hemel defence allowed our midfield to come into the game more.

Delighted for Reid, one of his best games this season took his goal well, although surprised Bass didn't get MTOM, as he kept us in the game, making some further saves late also, a goal then could have made the last few minutes nervous. Once that goal had been scored, the relief and confidence was clear to see and from then on, there's only going to be one winner.

On the first half Hemel will feel hard done by, and we've certainly got away one today, there's a long way to go, for anyone to things we've turned, or turning a corner, but it's a start, another win next week is a must.

Great to meet up SNW and shock of the day Trojan ' slack bladder' 67 managed to stay out of the toilet :whistle:
Formerly known as forevertufc
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We won but overall were still poor.
Hall, Regis, Williams and Winter were dire.
Reid goal equals MOM, they had to give it to someone.
Only the two lads on loan from Bristol provided any spark.
We must still do a lot lot better and be beating teams at this level with ease.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Have we signed Usain Bolt? Bloody hell Edwards is quick. He and Andrews are a cut above and could save our season.

The difference Keating made was clear to see. While Williams is still waiting for the ball to come to him Keating will chase it even if he’s not going to get there (which is how he scored against East Thurrock.)

The difference today was Andrews and Edwards - Owers still needs to go - for getting us into this league if nothing else.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 19:53 Well that's a tale of two halves if there ever was one. Make no bones about it, first half we were nervous, lacking confidence, and as bad as I've seen all season, two first saves from Bass, two open goals missed by Hemel, one dragged wide, the other headed against the post, was the only that stood between us and this game being over at half time.

Second half things improved, got Andrews and Edwards more into the game, however I feel the game turned in our favour on the Keating for Williams substitution, all of a sudden having a forward pressing, constantly asking questions of the Hemel defence allowed our midfield to come into the game more.

Delighted for Reid, one of his best games this season took his goal well, although surprised Bass didn't get MTOM, as he kept us in the game, making some further saves late also, a goal then could have made the last few minutes nervous. Once that goal had been scored, the relief and confidence was clear to see and from then on, there's only going to be one winner.

On the first half Hemel will feel hard done by, and we've certainly got away one today, there's a long way to go, for anyone to things we've turned, or turning a corner, but it's a start, another win next week is a must.

Great to meet up SNW and shock of the day Trojan ' slack bladder' 67 managed to stay out of the toilet :whistle:
:goodpost: Your posts are always balanced and honest. Confidence is what this team needs, maybe this could be the catalyst
Lucy
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

A good win today!!!! Seems so long since we can say that. Could have been 3 down at half time, but as so many posters have said it is a game of 2 halves and only the end result matters!! Their number 9 had a good touch but his finishing was not great today!! Great away support!! Bristol City lads made the difference so well done to Owers for that. Reid had a good game today after so many poor ones and seemed really unhappy at the end to come out and get the MOTM award. Simple Mr Reid, play like you did today and fans are happy but as a pro footballer you are judged by your performances!!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hector - Enjoy the victory instead of carping on about something that happened fourteen years ago. That's the trouble with supporters like you. We have won 2-0. we havn't conceded a goal again (despite having two first choice centre halves out) yet apparently it is no achievement to win because of the league we are in.

Was it Mr Richinns who berated Owers for signing Andrews in the week. Well - what a fool he is looking tonight.

So HH hit the woodwork - so what. I draw your attention to the final score Torquay 2 HH 0.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

brucie wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 22:31 Hector - Enjoy the victory instead of carping on about something that happened fourteen years ago. That's the trouble with supporters like you. We have won 2-0. we havn't conceded a goal again (despite having two first choice centre halves out) yet apparently it is no achievement to win because of the league we are in.

Was it Mr Richinns who berated Owers for signing Andrews in the week. Well - what a fool he is looking tonight.

So HH hit the woodwork - so what. I draw your attention to the final score Torquay 2 HH 0.
:clap:
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

We were indeed rubbish again in first half. Thankfully the new players were the best two in our side. Could have been 3-3 another day.Im no fan of the manager but take the three points we got, would have been horrendous in the stands if we had lost.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

6667GULL wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 20:01 We won but overall were still poor.
Hall, Regis, Williams and Winter were dire.
Reid goal equals MOM, they had to give it to someone.
Only the two lads on loan from Bristol provided any spark.
We must still do a lot lot better and be beating teams at this level with ease.
Here we go again
'BEATING TEAMS AT THIS LEVEL WITH EASE'
What makes you think we have a devine right to batter all & sundry into submission week in week out ?
And I will not accept because we are a full time club or a big club at this level, it just doesn't happen any more, plenty of examples in the upper echelons of the football pyramid in this country.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 18:54 What a fantastic victory and well done to Mr Owers for his excellent loan signings of Edwards and Andrews.

Anyway, I am off to raise a glass or tw0 to Mr Owers and the boys. COYY. ;-)
We beat a team who shipped 5 at home just last week after another poor first half. If you think I've got anything humble to eat then think again. Until he gets HIS squad into the play offs and keeps them there he'll still be a shit manager in my book. How many games has it taken to get just 45 minutes of positive performance.

Presumably you didn't go ........ again 😉

Quality find, Hector :clap:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com