Torquay United v Hemel Hempstead Town, Saturday 1st September 2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 21:56 Minor issue compared to the club being 'wound up' when Osborne does not get his planning permission approved.
Exactly.

When the stadium plan is kicked out, as it inevitably will, nothing gets built in Torquay, Clark Osborne will rapidly lose interest, his mate Gordon Oliver will be out of office, and Torquay will be put into administration owing GI £1.6m? By my rudimentary maths.

It's the reason I brought a season ticket this year, and why I will go to as many away games as possible. Don't where this will all end, but as usual it's the supporters who suffer.

This is the one I meant to quote. What a sausage fingered tw@t I am!

Edited it for you and deleted the previous post (SG)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Porky wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 19:07 Exactly.

When the stadium plan is kicked out, as it inevitably will, nothing gets built in Torquay, Clark Osborne will rapidly lose interest, his mate Gordon Oliver will be out of office, and Torquay will be put into administration owing GI £1.6m? By my rudimentary maths.

It's the reason I brought a season ticket this year, and why I will go to as many away games as possible. Don't where this will all end, but as usual it's the supporters who suffer.
GI/Rivera limited might want 1.6m back, but to who. As long as the council still hold the freehold we have a club. I feel the direct questions asked by Keven foster would have made Clarke a little uncomfortable
Lucy
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Hope so!
The only good thing is, if, hopefully not, we do go into administration GI will presumably join a list of creditors and get a fraction back.
In Kevin we trust!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 19:25 Great to see Dave/Forevertufc and slack bladder Trojan67...
We don't know that he avoided the toilet for defo dave as we weren't with him all the time...... :rofl:
Me, you and Dave - who exactly is taking the proper piss here? :|

First game for me at Plainmoor since the 2-0 win over North Ferriby. I dont see what the fuss is all about - I've seen worse first 45 mins when Frank O'Farrell was manager (first spell). :nod:

From this viewpoint, first 45, we didn't have a functioning midfield. Lucky to get to half time without it being 6-0 to HH (3 crucial saves by Bass, three fluffed efforts by HH).

When Keating came on for captain Blankety Blank, the course of the game changed. No doubt about it, Reid DOES put in 100% effort and f*** me, he stuck one away! :clap:

Regis - there's a player in there who needs games - he kept it simple second 45 and his passes found players. Oh and the Bristol City loan players made a difference. :-D

SNW asked me a question related to my forum name. In true magician fashion, I conjured up a photo from my top pocket and slap bang in the middle of it was his friend from primary school days. Spooky or what Supes? :O

For all their "taking of the piss", it's always good to see Dave, Supes and his good lady Bev. :-D

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 19:24 Me, you and Dave - who exactly is taking the proper piss here? :|

First game for me at Plainmoor since the 2-0 win over North Ferriby. I dont see what the fuss is all about - I've seen worse first 45 mins when Frank O'Farrell was manager (first spell). :nod:

From this viewpoint, first 45, we didn't have a functioning midfield. Lucky to get to half time without it being 6-0 to HH (3 crucial saves by Bass, three fluffed efforts by HH).

When Keating came on for captain Blankety Blank, the course of the game changed. No doubt about it, Reid DOES put in 100% effort and f*** me, he stuck one away! :clap:

Regis - there's a player in there who needs games - he kept it simple second 45 and his passes found players. Oh and the Bristol City loan players made a difference. :-D

SNW asked me a question related to my forum name. In true magician fashion, I conjured up a photo from my top pocket and slap bang in the middle of it was his friend from primary school days. Spooky or what Supes? :O

For all their "taking of the piss", it's always good to see Dave, Supes and his good lady Bev. :-D

:engflag:
:rofl:

good to see you again mate - and I feel that I can take the "credit" :} for you watching the game! :rofl:

and as for those pics - well it just goes to show you were young once........

and even younger was my old school mate Lloyd Thomas...... :~D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 19:14

GI/Rivera limited might want 1.6m back, but to who. As long as the council still hold the freehold we have a club. I feel the direct questions asked by Keven foster would have made Clarke a little uncomfortable
I take it your first sentence should have read "GI/Riviera limited might want 1.6m back, but from who".
If Osbourne fails he has two options as far as the club is concerned;
1) Give it away. But the club does not operate within its means. This puts us back to the situation when the previous owners found themselves with a 'Bart's elephant' , if you understand the reference. No serious buyer could be found before because of the financial liabilities in running the club and TUST would not be able to take it on without making the kind of cuts that would see the club spiral down the leagues and be unable to maintain the tenancy of Plainmoor.
2) Osbourne would retain ownership of the club but would stop pumping money into it, meaning it would face administration within a year.
Since Osbourne does not intend to build a stadium the simple fact is that this club is already shafted with no future as it is.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 22:11
This puts us back to the situation when the previous owners found themselves with a 'Bart's elephant' , if you understand the reference.
:lol:

Classic!

“All that money sounds mighty tempting Marty, but I think I'm going to have to go with the elephant.”
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I take it your first sentence should have read "GI/Riviera limited might want 1.6m back, but from who".
If Osbourne fails he has two options as far as the club is concerned;
1) Give it away. But the club does not operate within its means. This puts us back to the situation when the previous owners found themselves with a 'Bart's elephant' , if you understand the reference. No serious buyer could be found before because of the financial liabilities in running the club and TUST would not be able to take it on without making the kind of cuts that would see the club spiral down the leagues and be unable to maintain the tenancy of Plainmoor.
2) Osbourne would retain ownership of the club but would stop pumping money into it, meaning it would face administration within a year.
Since Osbourne does not intend to build a stadium the simple fact is that this club is already shafted with no future as it is.
Other clubs survive with much lower gates than us.
Costs would have to be cut but I don't see that spiralling down the leagues is inevitable. With our support and the club run properly it should manage to maintain National League level.
Of course if Osborne chooses administration then it would drop down the leagues and need to reform. But as he'd get virtually nothing back in that case maybe he'd sell for a low price that TUST could afford.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:17 Other clubs survive with much lower gates than us.
Costs would have to be cut but I don't see that spiralling down the leagues is inevitable. With our support and the club run properly it should manage to maintain National League level.
Of course if Osborne chooses administration then it would drop down the leagues and need to reform. But as he'd get virtually nothing back in that case maybe he'd sell for a low price that TUST could afford.
The problem is that at present, even with its level of support, the club is spending more than it receives. This has been the case for a long time ever since the Bristow era began and continues until this day. Any new owner would have to be prepared to pump in money over and above that earned through gate receipts etc just to keep things as they are. At present the club spends in excess of £300,000pa more then it earns; if TUST were to take over their 500ish members would have to stump up at least an extra £600pa each to keep the club going.
It would be inevitable that full time status would have to be relinquished and that would affect the club's league standing.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

But most of the clubs we are playing (and losing to) are part time.
Costs would have to be cut but other clubs survive with much lower gates than us.
Unless a benevolent owner comes along the only way forward (assuming Osborne goes) has to be cutting costs.