Slough v Torquay United 18/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Slough v Torquay United 18/08/18

Post by Forest gull »

I will be making the trip to Slough, but not with much optimism. I can’t remember dreading a game as much in the 45 years I have been following them. We probably won’t score, will struggle on a plastic pitch, and look around in disbelief at the sort of stadium we are now playing in. I have no respect for the manager and don’t see why he is in charge or that he has the first clue as to how to improve things.
This is now HIS team, so no excuses. Theee goals in four games? Jeez.
Come on United prove me wrong.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

This will be far more harder than the game midweek. Somthing tells me we’re going to ready for this. I’d be happy with a boring 1-0 game. We gotta adapt to these kind of pitches as quickly as possible
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

It is certainly Mr Gary's team so we need to see them responding to his command. They are a professional outfit compared to the part-time opposition, so we should see their better fitness making a difference. You could argue the team is getting to know each other but as he has signed the majority, played 4 games + friendlies, they should be the prefect match for his team plans.

Something makes me think he is already planning to blame the plastic pitch if we lose, while if we win he will praise his decision to train on a plastic pitch this week.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Just like Forest Gull both myself and Junior will be making the short trip to Sluff, and yes, minus the optimism that should be there in bucket loads considering our full-time status.

I've only been to the Chelmsford game so far, and from what I saw, there were glimpses (albeit very fleetingly) of what we can do. But, please Owers, do not put Reid in the team, or the squad for that matter. The lad has had so much time to 'prove himself' and has failed abysmally which can also be said of his 'manager' (sic).

Yes, we'll be there, along with a couple of hundred other deluded souls hoping against hope that we can actually kick-start our season. Yes, we've only lost one game in 4 and still sit in the play-off spots (just) having only conceded one goal.... but.... this is going to be a very long season against part-time teams who will want to bring us down a peg or two.... Chelmsford almost did it, Oxford City did.... we have to make sure that no other team in this league bosses us on the field. Our support for this level is outstanding (especially away from home) but if the performances continue to be sub-standard then people will drift away.... it's demoralising enough to be in the NLS, let's not make it even more so by serving up shite performances.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

Another example of what we can face this season, with the Slough manager talking about taking 'a big scalp':

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/tor ... -gul-52397
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I just don't buy this whole "matches against us are their cup final" rubbish. The fact remains that we are a professional, full-time team and have been for many years. Yes, matches will be hard, opposition will "raise their game" but that still shouldn't be good enough. We should be storming this league but with our dour, dull, uninspiring manager we are looking like also rans already.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Philgull our players need to be focused every game and with some of the crap on here I hope they have the sense not to read it. We have only played three games and everyone is talking doom and gloom. This is a new side we've got to get behind it and hope it improves. For the sake of the club.
As everyone has said we need to get up front right and maybe three up front might sort it out.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

arcadia wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 18:34 Philgull our players need to be focused every game and with some of the crap on here I hope they have the sense not to read it. We have only played three games and everyone is talking doom and gloom. This is a new side we've got to get behind it and hope it improves. For the sake of the club.
As everyone has said we need to get up front right and maybe three up front might sort it out.
We’ve played 4 games and been outplayed for long parts of each one.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I think they will turn a corner, they need to, or owers is toast. I'm going for a 2 0 win. We are hard to break down, hopefully essuman and niate at the back.
Scorers williams and one of the centre backs, going up for a corner/free kick. COYY
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

At last somebody with something positive to say. All the previous negativity is depressing - after just four games of a long season with virtually a new squad.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Porky »

I thought it was the punch in the head I had at boxing tonight. But because we are going to be hard to break down we are going to sneak more than we lose, j9ne of this losing points in the last ten minutes nonsense. I won't go as far as to say in owers we trust (because I don't) but I hope that we will be in the play offs, minimum, with owers still in charge and the corner turned after 5? Years of bad decisions and failure. Onwards and upwards.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Porky wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 20:03 I think they will turn a corner, they need to, or owers is toast. I'm going for a 2 0 win. We are hard to break down, hopefully essuman and niate at the back.
Scorers williams and one of the centre backs, going up for a corner/free kick. COYY
Oxford City were cutting us open at will on Tuesday night. We aren’t watertight that’s for sure.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I went oxford city Tuesday due to visiting family.I left the match just like guiesley away last season and that was bad. We simply don't have players to score goals. I don't care whether we play on a beach, grass or artificial. This team needs to smell the coffee and wake up ASAP. So to be positive we have time but regrettably not with the current forwards. We will win tomorrow
Lucy
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Porky »

All I can go on is the 2nd half v bath, and the game against east thurrock. And they looked more than capable at the back in front of a decent keeper, true the finishing by both teams (bath and east thurrock) left a lot to be desired. But from.what I've seen, niate is a beast who appears to lead the defence well. And Davis should never be playing at this level.
Loking forward to Gloucester on Monday week.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Porky wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 20:03 I think they will turn a corner, they need to, or owers is toast. I'm going for a 2 0 win. We are hard to break down, hopefully essuman and niate at the back.
It will be interesting to see what formation Owers puts out tomorrow. If he keeps persisting with 3 centre backs, then we shall be in the NLS again next season. If he learns from Tuesday night when, judging from posts by fans who were at the match, we were slightly less poor in the second half when he adopted a more attacking side, we have a chance of at least getting in the play offs. It seems obvious to me, but I'm not a manager! If you're using three central defenders instead of two to look after powder-puff forwards in this league, you're a player short in midfield or up front ..... a winger to give us a bit of width would be good. Yes - the forwards have squandered chances, but very little is being created for them to work with.

As for the central defenders, for me it has to be Cameron and either Esuman or Niate. I haven't seen Esuman play so I've no idea what he is like. I think Niate flatters to deceive. I don't think he is that good, but that's only on the basis of two games so too early to make a fair judgement. On the basis of the Bath and East Thurrock games, I would definitely pick Sokolik ahead of him if he was fit.