Devon Live - Jim Parker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Devon Live - Jim Parker

Post by MF68 »

Devon Live - Jim Parker has had his say on the "dream" of the new ground at Nightingale Park.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

It really makes you think again that Mr. Osborne always chooses sites which have no hope of development which is why he has NEVER EVER built a New Stadium anywhere.
No wonder he does not want questions on past ventures.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

MF68 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 09:58 Devon Live - Jim Parker has had his say on the "dream" of the new ground at Nightingale Park.
And here's the link to the article. :}

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... sh-1860163
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

a very good article....
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Funny how the Editor had to do it and not the reporters
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I see a Cllr Dave Thomas is mentioned in the article - has he changed jobs?!
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

budegull1954 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:54 I see a Cllr Dave Thomas is mentioned in the article - has he changed jobs?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Captain Osborne won't like that. That will ruffle a few feathers. Look forward to Clarkes response on the OS on Sunday
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 10:46 It really makes you think again that Mr. Osborne always chooses sites which have no hope of development which is why he has NEVER EVER built a New Stadium anywhere.
No wonder he does not want questions on past ventures.
'Nail on the Head', Portugull. IF the project ever gets past the drawing board/back of an envelope, it doesn't need Mystic Meg to predict future headlines - 'New stadium beset by unforeseen difficulties'. I did not know that a sports ground had been tried there before, and was abandoned because of rubbish coming to the surface. As Jim Parker says (at last!) - it will never happen.

In last week's Herald Express, Jim Parker wrote about Mike Bateson, in his day, making enquiries about re-locating to a disused quarry site in Kingskerswell. I don't recall ever hearing about that. I do not know the site in question, but if still available and if large enough, it would be an ideal location for a stadium suitable for concerts etc as it would be away from residential properties. And now with the new KWL bypass, the road to a quarry site would be fairly quiet.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

tomogull wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 21:02 'Nail on the Head', Portugull. IF the project ever gets past the drawing board/back of an envelope, it doesn't need Mystic Meg to predict future headlines - 'New stadium beset by unforeseen difficulties'. I did not know that a sports ground had been tried there before, and was abandoned because of rubbish coming to the surface. As Jim Parker says (at last!) - it will never happen.

In last week's Herald Express, Jim Parker wrote about Mike Bateson, in his day, making enquiries about re-locating to a disused quarry site in Kingskerswell. I don't recall ever hearing about that. I do not know the site in question, but if still available and if large enough, it would be an ideal location for a stadium suitable for concerts etc as it would be away from residential properties. And now with the new KWL bypass, the road to a quarry site would be fairly quiet.
The site was to be where the cafe is on the Newton Road, Bateson talked about it at a time when other league clubs built new stadiums in the 90s.
I went to a bbq at the willows last week at a friends house where some of her neighbours had also been invited and take it from me, they do not want this to happen.
York City are beginning to see their new home take shape 11 years after they had identified a site and 10 years after the local council agreed to help the club. It will take at least as long for a stadium in Torquay to become a reality and i can't see Osbourne hanging on to the club for that long.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Jim's line is worth remembering "Some would say there is more chance of launching a hot air balloon business there using natural gas.....

I hope I am proved wrong…".
On the podcast the reporters have been reluctant all all times to complain about Gaming International. This is understandable if you want to turn up each week for a quote or two at the press conference. Now that the Herald Express editor has openly mocked Mr Osborne will the situation change?
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

MF68 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:49 Funny how the Editor had to do it and not the reporters
Sorry, late to this one.

As I understand it, Jim Parker isn't the editor any more. That's some bloke based down in Plymouth.

Jim Parker has been retained by Trinity Mirror to write a column and to front some local events. That is the extent of his involvement.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

For more info see here https://www.responsesource.com/bulletin ... as-editor/

Still. Jim is a senior reporter, former editor and his contribution is important.