Gordon Oliver Open Forum Tonight

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Gordon Oliver Open Forum Tonight

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

I understand that tonight is the night when citizens of the bay are able to ask questions of their mayor in an open forum. I know Torquay fans will be represented by TUST, but will anyone on here be going? If so, update please.

If I weren’t in a different part of the country I’d be there... and appear tongue-tied and inarticulate but trying my best to explain why supporting such a tin-pot team is important to me and why it’s important that we shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet as collateral damage in just another development success story. I realise that it’s all likely to end in tears for us fans but that doesn’t mean we can’t show resistance.

The miraculous coincidence of our home/away fixtures perfectly meshing with Truro’s should be sufficient proof to anybody who still doubted that Messrs Masters & Osborne already have a plan to carve up what’s left of their football clubs (with the collusion of the National League) and each walk away having trousered a decent return.

I’ve somewhat lost the point of what I was trying to say here. I’m just so, so sad that my team is in this situation. I’d love to be able to do something about it (I’ve been a TUST member for years, still am), I paid £20/month into the player fund until Osborne took over. If I won the lottery I WOULD be the reincarnation of Paul Bristow. But winning millions is unlikely.

Where do I go from here? I don’t want to be sad about who I support, I’ve defended myself against the brickbats of those who tried to embarrass me for supporting Torquay United for years and always felt morally victorious at the end of any exchange. I’m likely to be at Chelmsford (Chelmsford ffs!) in a few days’ time, hoping that we’ve reached rock bottom and, surely, the only way is up.

These are grim times for Torquay United fans. Shortly a new season will begin to distract us from the off-field nonsense that eventually threatens to lead to the death of our club. I suppose that all we can do is to hope for the best, but for anyone attending tonight, I give you my solidarity.

COYY!
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Osborne presenting his plans at 8-40pm.-Rosetor Lounge, Riviera Centre.
Only 5 minutes of questions allowed.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I ve just heard the same although I ve been told he will not answer questions about past ventures.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

torregull wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 08:30 Osborne presenting his plans at 8-40pm.-Rosetor Lounge, Riviera Centre.
Only 5 minutes of questions allowed.
5 minutes - how ****ing generous of them! Let's not let the public get into the detail of the plan (we would not want that would we!)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Richinns wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:50 5 minutes - how ****ing generous of them! Let's not let the public get into the detail of the plan (we would not want that would we!)
Who's going to stop people after five minutes?

**** that, just keep going!
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 01:02 I understand that tonight is the night when citizens of the bay are able to ask questions of their mayor in an open forum. I know Torquay fans will be represented by TUST, but will anyone on here be going? If so, update please.

If I weren’t in a different part of the country I’d be there... and appear tongue-tied and inarticulate but trying my best to explain why supporting such a tin-pot team is important to me and why it’s important that we shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet as collateral damage in just another development success story. I realise that it’s all likely to end in tears for us fans but that doesn’t mean we can’t show resistance.

The miraculous coincidence of our home/away fixtures perfectly meshing with Truro’s should be sufficient proof to anybody who still doubted that Messrs Masters & Osborne already have a plan to carve up what’s left of their football clubs (with the collusion of the National League) and each walk away having trousered a decent return.

I’ve somewhat lost the point of what I was trying to say here. I’m just so, so sad that my team is in this situation. I’d love to be able to do something about it (I’ve been a TUST member for years, still am), I paid £20/month into the player fund until Osborne took over. If I won the lottery I WOULD be the reincarnation of Paul Bristow. But winning millions is unlikely.

Where do I go from here? I don’t want to be sad about who I support, I’ve defended myself against the brickbats of those who tried to embarrass me for supporting Torquay United for years and always felt morally victorious at the end of any exchange. I’m likely to be at Chelmsford (Chelmsford ffs!) in a few days’ time, hoping that we’ve reached rock bottom and, surely, the only way is up.

These are grim times for Torquay United fans. Shortly a new season will begin to distract us from the off-field nonsense that eventually threatens to lead to the death of our club. I suppose that all we can do is to hope for the best, but for anyone attending tonight, I give you my solidarity.

COYY!
Great posting, agree with every word. It might be just my pessimistic nature, but I do feel a sense of 'impending doom' once again about the forthcoming season - no assistant manager, injured first choice goalkeeper, no big strong centre-forward, shenanigans behind the scenes. I really do hope that it's not going to be 'The Season Of Disaster 2.0'. Surely our luck HAS to change at some point - or did we use up all our luck in that Lottery-winning Summer of 2008?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The first question needs to be, "why won''t you answer questions about your past ventures?" That's a question about questions, not a question about past ventures.

#questions

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I can’t attend this meeting as I’m about to go on holiday but I hope plenty can. Expect though that the five minutes of questions will be Pre-booked full of headnodders like David Thomas asking easy questions that let Osborne off the hook.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Hector

My question would be "Why hasnt the Herald been taken to task about reporting the past problems with GI and their ventures?"

Answer ...............................I imagine they have some oily deal already with GI

I am going tonight and will report back but having spent years at meetings involving the Council dont be surprised if the 8.40 slot becomes 7.30 to avoid many touchy questions.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Careful MF68, don't want your blood pressure rising too much, you might be late for work AGAIN:)
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Burnhamgull wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 10:23 Who's going to stop people after five minutes?

**** that, just keep going!
Exactly. Keep asking questions if they try to shut you down, then someone else should attempt to ask a question. Make it clear that the fans aren’t happy, even if they do shut it down, rather than just going silent after five mins.

If anyone does get the chance to ask a question, simply ask ‘Can anyone tell me why Clarke Osborne companies have failed to build stadiums in Bristol, Swindon, Reading and Milton Keynes despite similar sounding promises and why their stadium record has two demolished stadiums on record (Reading Speedway and Bristol Rovers).’ Simple succinct question that will open up the truth of the matter. Even if they refuse to answer it’s getting important information out there to a wider audience.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

hector wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:52 I can’t attend this meeting as I’m about to go on holiday but I hope plenty can. Expect though that the five minutes of questions will be Pre-booked full of headnodders like David Thomas asking easy questions that let Osborne off the hook.
Where you goin'?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Bent as a nine bob note. The lot of them.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Matt88 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:59 Where you goin'?

Matt.
🇫🇷
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

A couple of tweets from the two TUST representatives at tonight's forum:

> Just come out of the forum. Sorry about lack of tweets I was taking notes. Asked questions on Plainmoor freehold and house building around the new stadium. Gordon Oliver took to the mic to say repeatedly Plainmoor was not on the agenda and to not “get hung up on it” #TUST #TUFC

> Chairman Michel spoke about the long term sustainability of #TUFC and to make clear that this is a priority for us and our members and all other fans. No real response from CO & team to questions as Gordon Oliver answered mainly to say “Please leave Plainmoor out of it” #TUST
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust