Torquay United unveil huge plan for 10,000-seater stadium.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

ACW2IOW wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 01:16 I didn't say he was!
Not you, the guy who posted first.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

......and neither did I say he was American, I said he lived in Florida and still has American business connections and I wondered if the American consortium (that I don't remember) was something to do with him.
I remember the chinese cinsortium rumours but not the american one.
I think He did also at one point own Oxford United but later ended up as chairman, he does have now have an interest in Northampton and, from a quick look at google, is looking to sell his interest and they seem to be in a bit of trouble (due to previous dealings not his).

I attended the plainmoor business breakfast where he was guest speaker, trying to drum up some interest with local businesses. He sounded like a Londoner nor am American but then, to me, everyone outside Devon and Cornwall sounds like a cockney!
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Porky wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 09:06 ......and neither did I say he was American, I said he lived in Florida and still has American business connections and I wondered if the American consortium (that I don't remember) was something to do with him.
I remember the chinese cinsortium rumours but not the american one.
I think He did also at one point own Oxford United but later ended up as chairman, he does have now have an interest in Northampton and, from a quick look at google, is looking to sell his interest and they seem to be in a bit of trouble (due to previous dealings not his).

I attended the plainmoor business breakfast where he was guest speaker, trying to drum up some interest with local businesses. He sounded like a Londoner nor am American but then, to me, everyone outside Devon and Cornwall sounds like a cockney!
I think this should clarify the situation, Porky. Ian Lenagan was the owner during the time Thomas was Chairman. Lenagan sold up in 2016 when he became Chairnan of the Football League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18826760

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2015-10- ... in-thomas/

I think it was a fair bet that Thomas may have been interested in taking over TUFC at the time but obviously decided against it!
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Shame, he would have been better than what we've got now, or the breed consortium. Also been reading about the "missing" £10m council money for a new stand at Northampton, mp resignation, prosecutions, and other underhand shenanigans (i'd also like to point that this has nothing to do with Kelvin thomas). And who suffers in all this ? the fans who buy the tickets, the merchandise and follow the club through thick and thin.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:55So to sum up; don't worry this thing will never be built and what's more there is probably no intention to build it at all.
Oh, I don't think it'll ever be built - I only mentioned the photoshop job to describe how...well, amateurish this con job is. Whether or not the Grimsby image itself was 'shopped is irrelevant; GI's use of the same image with our logo plastered on top is indicative of the lack of care they've shown from the beginning. At least take the time to build up a convincing con, Clark!

Couple with the images from the other night - the ones that looked like there were drawn with crayons - it just goes to show how little intent there really is to build it.

If Osbourne and his cronies get the stadium built before 2025, I shall buy a season ticket, even though I live 3,000 miles away.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44981501

What's the issue here captain Clarke is our guardian angel :lol:
Lucy
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I don't want to move from Plainmoor but if the council are to back / fall for this plan, any agreement to allow the freehold to be released should be dependent on a new stadium being built and ready for use before it is transferred. That way we'll probably stay at Plainmoor and if we don't we could at least be sure of having a stadium to play in.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

The worry I have is that IF GI ever manage to pull off a miracle and build this thing, surely they’ll acquire plainmoor, sell up and charge extortionate rent on the soulless Lego arena?

The whole process is an insult to supporters, at least make us believe in it before you mug us all off
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Gret article today in the Non-League paper by the always excellent Gregor Robertson:

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... ium-plans/
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Shame the sycophants at The Herald couldn't muster such a well crafted article !!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

In December 2016, Bournemouth FC announced plans to build a new stadium to accommodate their new Premiership status. This has now been 'kicked into the long grass', with a statement saying there were "overtly optimistic" in their plans to move to a new ground by the summer of 2020. "Any future developments will be undertaken around a healthy financial strategy," the club said. This from a club that recorded a profit after tax of £14million, with a turnover of £136.5million in 2017.

On the other hand, Torquay United with it's NLS non-pro football status and an operating loss of £303,733 in 2017, announce a 5 year plan for us to move to a brand new £40 million stadium complex which are told is not "overtly optimistic". Go Figure!

It is true that under Osborne, Torquay now run a more professional ship, but one still gets the sense our football club is still just the pawn in a big game of Monopoly.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 10:33 In December 2016, Bournemouth FC announced plans to build a new stadium to accommodate their new Premiership status. This has now been 'kicked into the long grass', with a statement saying there were "overtly optimistic" in their plans to move to a new ground by the summer of 2020. "Any future developments will be undertaken around a healthy financial strategy," the club said. This from a club that recorded a profit after tax of £14million, with a turnover of £136.5million in 2017.

On the other hand, Torquay United with it's NLS non-pro football status and an operating loss of £303,733 in 2017, announce a 5 year plan for us to move to a brand new £40 million stadium complex which are told is not "overtly optimistic". Go Figure!

It is true that under Osborne, Torquay now run a more professional ship, but one still gets the sense our football club is still just the pawn in a big game of Monopoly.
:goodpost:

Indeed, and we shall always wonder what brought about Mr Osbournes recent "re vitalisation" interest and obvious surge in investment and just what motivated him?
Other than a more attractive proposal to the council and other parties I can't think of anything.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think Osborne has been 'investing' (read: loaning) money in to the club since day one. it seems that earlier in the year he realised it was all for nothing and appointed George Edwards to take control of the situation and make the money work better. Gary Johnson's availability seems to have been a happy coincidence with everything else going on at the club.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

If you are a major tax payer and own many companies, it makes sense to invest in the weaker, loss making ones thereby utilising one's capital in one's own interest rather than hand it over to the tax man.

If Clarke Osborne is ever to get a return on his acquisition of Torquay United and cannot get the Plainmoor freehold as a result of owning the Club, then he has to capitalise it and develop it as something tangible that he can one day 'sell on'.
Last edited by merse btpir on 04 Oct 2018, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:58 If you are a major tax payer and own many companies, I makes sense to invest in the weaker, loss making ones thereby utilising one's capital in one's own interest rather than hand it over to the tax man.

If Clarke Osborne is ever to get a return on his acquisition of Torquay United and cannot get the Plainmoor freehold as a result of owning the Club, then he has to capitalise it and develop it as something tangible that he can one day 'sell on'.
Indeed. I've never agreed with the idea he wants to 'run the club in to the ground'. He is a businessman and as such will look to make as much money as he can, where he can.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084