Torquay v Bristol City U23’s Tuesday night.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Torquay v Bristol City U23’s Tuesday night.

Post by kevgull »

TUFC are hosting Bristol City U23’s tomorrow, good luck boys!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Having gone to the Plymouth and Cardiff games, decided to give this one a miss, would be grateful for a run down from anyone who does go to the game tonight.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Squad tonight: MacDonald (GK), Gowling, Keating, Hall, Banton, Bawling, Nabi, Dickson, Cameron, Pittman, Roberts SUBS: Wynter, Davis, Essuman, Williams, Koszela, Burton (GK), Niate, Reid
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

was 0-2 at the break, Torquay have got one back through Williams since then.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Anyone at the game tonight's thoughts on Macdonald? Purely as Owers has now said Bass may miss 1st game of the season due to injury.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

OllieGull wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 21:54 Anyone at the game tonight's thoughts on Macdonald? Purely as Owers has now said Bass may miss 1st game of the season due to injury.
Mc Donald had a hard act to follow and was nervous early on then settled down but was very quiet. (Made a couple of saves.) He took up a bad position for their goal from the freekick it was easy to score as he showed the taker the whole goal. (Remember first game)
The other keeper no name looked sharp and talked and brought off a great save really like to see more of him.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought Owers made a mistake by making 7 changes as the team looked lost. If we had started as we finished the last game and changed players accordingly the result would have been a lot closer. The back four in the first half was all over the place and up front there was just nothing coming together.
The changes after half time were needed against a slick Bristol City side.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

arcadia wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 22:05 The other keeper no name looked sharp and talked and brought off a great save really like to see more of him.
That 'other keeper' is I think George Burton of Shortwood United. The club have this season relinquished their Southern League registeration due to financial circumstances
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

arcadia wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 22:13 I thought Owers made a mistake by making 7 changes as the team looked lost. If we had started as we finished the last game and changed players accordingly the result would have been a lot closer. The back four in the first half was all over the place and up front there was just nothing coming together.
The changes after half time were needed against a slick Bristol City side.
We equally have to give the fringe players a chance, as at the end of the day it's a friendly and no points will be lost or gained.
Lucy
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 22:13 I thought Owers made a mistake by making 7 changes as the team looked lost. If we had started as we finished the last game and changed players accordingly the result would have been a lot closer.
The result is irrelevant. This was a chance to give players who haven't had a lot of game time a run out and to try out a different formation. Better to see it doesn't work in a pre-season game than in one that matters.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Jerry wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 06:37 The result is irrelevant. This was a chance to give players who haven't had a lot of game time a run out and to try out a different formation. Better to see it doesn't work in a pre-season game than in one that matters.
Agreed.

Unfortunately though, of those who would appear to be outside of the first XI, I don’t think any of them enhanced their prospects last night - other than Bawling who did well, and it must also be said young Koszela - who looked very accomplished for someone who has not long since turned 16.

Somewhat concerning news regarding the excellent Alex Bass - who is an injury concern for Chelmsford - his “deputy” made some decent saves but was also caught out in possession and was lucky to escape without conceding and looked a little shaky on occasions - and perhaps should have done better with a couple of the goals.

Still no sign of Jacob Sokolik, still injured it seems. As it stands, and should Bass be fit, the team for Chelmsford pretty much picks itself based on pre season performances:

Bass; Wynter, Essuman, Koue-Niate, Cameron, Davis; Nabi, Hall, Dickson; Reid, Williams.

Still need 2 or 3 quality additions to seriously challenge for top spot in my opinion .... but as it stands I would be optimistic for a shot at the play offs.
Last edited by CP Gull on 25 Jul 2018, 08:29, edited 4 times in total.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The first half was poor. Maybe they had a hard training session in the morning?? Players lacking game time getting a run out.
Keating looking full of energy while Pittman looked uninterested and lazy. Hopefully Asa Hall is just lacking fitness and game time because i thought he was poor. Gowling, he needs to move on now for everybody's sake. Dickson started at LB in a flat back four. He looks more comfortable in midfield.
2nd half , lots of changes which instantly provided a reward with a well taken goal by Williams. Our defense looked more solid apart from their 3rd goal. An improved 2nd half with what looks like close to our starting line up. Nabir still needs more time to improve his fitness. I hope their is alot more to Asa Halls game.
A mention to the young City squad who played well, moved the ball quickly and deserved their win.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I was really impressed with the Bristol City youngsters who have clearly been thoroughly coached. They were comfortable with the ball and were always on the move without it. Whereas at half-time we're used to watching the subs aimlessly kicking a ball with little purpose, the Bristol subs had a proper coaching session with a coach with a whistle; good to see.
As to the game those taken off at half-time hadn't done themselves any favours, particularly the 'transfer listed two'.
Concern then about Bass while I noticed Kyle Cameron came off with a groin strain. I, too, feel Hall and Nabir are off the pace and not yet showing their true value. And we still need a decent partner for Williams; more signing(s) to come?
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Good morning,

A lot to ask from the guys in the first half, the formation could have been 4-4-2, 4-3-2-1 or 4-4-1-1 but I can safely say it was 4 at the back.

First Half

GK:

Shaun Macdonald - 5 / 10 - average first half, perhaps lack of games, poor positioning for free-kick and not commanding at all. Half the keeper of Bass.

Defenders:

Ryan Dickson - 6 / 10 - was played at left back, might just about do a job as cover here but was responsible for the first goal (gave away possession and then fouled for the free-kick that was subsequently scored) Some good passing.

Bawling - 6 /10 - looked energetic but lightweight BUT his distribution was better (Played at right back).

Gowling - 3 / 10 - looked disinterested and despite his experience and ability, wasting a spot in the squad.

Cameron - 6 / 10 - best of the backline.

Midfielders:

Hall - 7 / 10 - I thought out of all his PSF games this was probably his best. Not quick, but we know that.

Nabi - 6 / 10 - Has stacks of ability but also stacks of weight, just doesnt look fit and again with Hall makes for a slow midfield.

Banton - 6 / 10 - Showed glimpses of his footballing past, perhaps lacking confidence, does have a bit of pace about him.

Forwards (?):

Roberts - 6 / 10 - had 4 chances to score, 3 hit the target, gets about and good leap despite being small.

Pittman - 4 / 10 - did nothing really.

Keating - 5 / 10 - didn't really get the ball much.

Second Half:

This was clearly the team and formation we are likely to see come Chelmsford away. Strange though that Owers said: we wont win the league with one up top.... is that not what we have?

GK:

Macdonald - 6 / 10 - Made one very good save this half and was not at fault for the goal.

Burton - 6 / 10 - Made a good reaction save, in my opinion looked more like an academy keeper from the local school, would worry me if he got a spot ahead of Macdonald.

Defenders:

Essuman - 6 / 10 - the most vocal of the backline, pleasantly surprised as he is only a youngster. His efforts to organise were to no avail though as time and time again Bristol City got behind the backline.

Niate - 6 / 10 - he is what he is - a brute of a defender, should do well at NLS.

Cameron - 6 / 10 - nice to see a defender try and pass the ball, although City were just a touch fast and kept intercepting his passes.

David - 6 / 10 - would get a 7 if he could cross the ball, I do not dispute how good an athlete he is but his passing / crossing is awful at times.

Bawling - 6 / 10 - same as first half.

Wynter - 5 / 10 - late sub so didnt really have time to impact.

Midfielders:

Hall - 6 / 10 - got tired in second half.

Nabi - 5 / 10 - as above.

Dickson - 6 / 10 - much of the same but looked so much more comfortable in midfield.

Forwards:

Williams - 7 / 10 - Great finish for goal but should have scored 2 more... could be a force if he stays hungry.

Reid - 6 / 10 - lost ball time and time again. One good chance to score - didn't!

Olaf - no rating - Not enough time to do much but fair play to the lad, got stuck in and should have a bright future.

For some daft reason (still deciding the reason) I am going to try and watch every game this season, home and away! I travel with work so this may just work out. I have seen all the PSF's and really not fussed about the scorelines. I am more keen to see how the players gel, interact, the on-field atmosphere and of course the new signings.

The glaringly obvious is that we have almost a new squad. Not many teams do that. I imagine it will take several league games before the players really start working cohesively together. It would be unfair to expect instant squad synergy and clearly there are still one or two bad eggs that need to move on.

If Bass is fit then great, if not, MacDonald will probably do a job for a game or two. The key for me is balancing the midfield, there is no pace in the middle of the pitch and therefore we have to get that ball out wide. What we do have though is a midfield that can pass and create, something lacking since the days of a pre-injury Luke Young and before that Master O'Kane.

I will be going on Saturday and will try and provide an update.

If my posting gets a little boring to read. Happy to take guidance / feedback.

*If I missed someone out or made a few spelling errors - sorry.

Cheers....
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Excellent summary - thanks.