The 'Gordon Oliver' Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

The 'Gordon Oliver' Trophy

Post by SenorDingDong »

https://www.torquayunited.com/tufc-dates-diary/

So apparently the club have now created an annual award for the top player in the youth system and seen it fit to name it after our dear Mayor Gordon Oliver, no indication of whether he has personally funded it but it'd be more than a little strange for him to have done so and named it after himself.

This is the same Gordon Oliver who to my knowledge hasn't been to a match in the last 5-10 years, if he ever has. Has shown little to no interest in the club, even during the past couple years when Kevin Foster (not a native Torquinian), Adrian Sanders and a handful of other concillors have taken a vested interest. Who has rarely if ever spoken about the club or mentioned it aside from in relation to the freehold. Yet this is the man who it is seen fit to name an award after? Not a famous Torquay youth alumni or famous ex player?

If he hasn't sponsored this award, which in itself would be a strange change in behaviour, it doesn't take a genius to work out why the club is naming awards after him and trying to flatter him. Indeed it's rather sickening how obvious the sucking up is, if this is the case.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Is this just the most obvious arse kissing exercise going? An attempt to play to the man's ego and reap some tenancy rewards as a result!?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

I agree with your feelings - if the donation is NOT anonymous, it's about GO not TUFC.
GO is a Politician - wise up LOL

How about calling it the 'Steve Cooper trophy' - can't someone take GO aside !
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Very exciting times. A great addition to the football club.

Congratulations to those in charge. First a black and yellow home kit, Truro to play at Plainmoor and now the Gordon Oliver trophy.

Great couple of weeks to be a TUFC fan.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Parkys People wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 17:26 Very exciting times. A great addition to the football club.

Congratulations to those in charge. First a black and yellow home kit, Truro to play at Plainmoor and now the Gordon Oliver trophy.

Great couple of weeks to be a TUFC fan.
How about a couple of promising pre season performances? You forgot that.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

sgf wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:33 How about a couple of promising pre season performances? You forgot that.
Reminds me of the good times when we beat 'our friends' Truro 6-0 in pre-season, what a match for the ages that was against one of our most storied rivals. Such a spirit in the players that season.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

SenorDingDong wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:46 Reminds me of the good times when we beat 'our friends' Truro 6-0 in pre-season, what a match for the ages that was against one of our most storied rivals. Such a spirit in the players that season.
I don't see the relevance of your point
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

Madness! If there's not enough conspiracy theories already. Jules Rimet must be scratching his head.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

Shangull wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:15 Madness! If there's not enough conspiracy theories already. Jules Rimet must be scratching his head.
He's dead
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A nice little sweetener for Mr Oliver. A man who has no interest in our club but who holds the key to the freehold of Plainmoor and now Osborne is naming a lovely shiny award in his honour.

So if/when an adequate "stadium" is built in Truro, how long will we have to ground share in Truro?.............that will signify the beginning of the end.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

sgf wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:27 He's dead
blimey now you tell me....born in 1873 I thought he'd be still alive.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

Shangull wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:15 Madness! If there's not enough conspiracy theories already. Jules Rimet must be scratching his head.
I'd like to see a legitimate reason given for naming the trophy in his honour. He's been a councillor in the Bay since the 70s - he voted in the decision surrounding the Marine Spa, yet he's never been involved at the club during that period. Unless he's sponsored the award, which is unlikely given past form, it's verrrrry dodgy.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Burnhamgull wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:30 A nice little sweetener for Mr Oliver. A man who has no interest in our club but who holds the key to the freehold of Plainmoor and now Osborne is naming a lovely shiny award in his honour.

So if/when an adequate "stadium" is built in Truro, how long will we have to ground share in Truro?.............that will signify the beginning of the end.
:@ :goodpost:
Lucy
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

Looks like the TUST has picked up on this as well, give them as many comments as possible so they can articulate how ridiculous this idea this:

knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

I can just see Clarke chuckling to himself when he came up with this idea. It's nothing more than an attempt to show the fans and wider public at large that he is the master in this game and no amount of protesting or abuse is going to change that. Ultimately he'll get his land. He knows that and I'm certain he has a relatively short term plan to make that happen. There won't be a stadium and there won't be a Plainmoor ground to play in. Those who are belittling Truro on this forum and others at the moment should be very careful. They may be a smaller club but they a equal pawn in the game that's being played around us and this indefensible move should be a stark warning to us all not to be sucked in by a bit of work on the grass and managing to assemble a squad of players.