BBC Pull Commentary of Torquay Games

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

BBC Pull Commentary of Torquay Games

Post by brucie »

As has been documented on the BTPIR site there will not be live commentary of Torquay United games in the forthcoming season.

This decision has been made by Mark Grinnell - managing editor of Radio Devon citing his main reason as "the league that we are playing in".

It should be noted that BBC Radio Worcester provided live commentaries last season on Kidderminster and also Hereford Utd who were in fact playing in a lower league than the one we are in now.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Good of them to stick with us.
TUST number 080
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

That sucks. Especially for us exiles who rely on the commentary for most games... those up in the Grim North are not going to be too pleased either!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

The size of a football club is not determined by what league they are playing within and making decisions using that as the underlining reason is nothing short of ignorant and arrogant.

The fact is should the team be performing to a much better standard and winning football matches on a regular basis then I would hazard a guess those listening figures would actually increase.

This decision seems purely based on budgets and cost cutting rather than the service provided to the listener. Shameful.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Agreed - but I'm not sure it is based on budgets - the decision lies purely with the managing editor Mark Grinnell. I am sure Merse won't mind me lifting Grinnells reply and here it is:

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your note about Torquay United and thank you for your support of the club and the radio station.

I can confirm that in the coming season, BBC Radio Devon will be reporting live from every Torquay United weekend and weekday fixture. This will feature in our main sports programme which can be heard countywide. Our commitment to the club and reporting on our local patch remains unchanged. For a number of reasons, I’ve had to take the decision not to offer full match commentary this season. Now this won’t be every match and we will be offering commentary of some fixtures where there will be lots of interest, such as FA Cup and Truro over Christmas as two examples.

Our commitment and support of the club in this respect remains unchanged and I am hoping to meet with the Club soon to discuss our continued working relationship. I appreciate that this commentary decision won’t be what everyone wants to hear but when making decisions like this I do take a range of factors into consideration; these include the measured performance of the sport programme, the fan base of clubs and – most crucially – the division they play in. While there are exceptions, we’re still offering more than most radio stations would to a team in this position.

I hope that helps answer your question. If you want more specific feedback or a conversation please get in touch with me or Emma Clements, here at BBC Radio Devon.

Mark

Mark Grinnell | Managing Editor

BBC Radio Devon, Broadcasting House, Seymour Road, Plymouth, PL3 5BD

Read more: http://thelondonlabia.proboards.com/thr ... z5LnZ1r637
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

As you can see this bloke is completely out of touch with reality.

He seems to think that he is doing everybody a favour but cannot seem to grasp that a Torquay United home game is by some way he 4th biggest sporting event in the county on a normal Saturday (well actually bigger that if the likes of Exeter Chiefs, Plymouth etc are way)

But as you quite rightly say he seems to be completely ignorant - BBC Radio Worcester were quite willing to cover Hereford last year in a lower league no doubt basing that decision on how much interest there was and the size of the club.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

United62 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 13:16 That sucks. Especially for us exiles who rely on the commentary for most games... [highlight=yellow]those up in the Grim North [/highlight]are not going to be too pleased either!
charming...

you can keep that stereotypical reference to yourself pal.

......oh of course I forgot, Torquay is in the beautiful south and is still the dogs bo11ocks place to live like it was in the 70's and not the sh1thole that it apparently is now...... :no:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

BBC South West hasn't even upgraded their TV to HD yet - good old licence fee payers getting shafted again!

Don't worry guys we will be online 24/7 for coverage. Wonder if we could DIY commentary - mobile phone voice commentary for those exiled - maybe a Skype group with someone at a game dialled in...
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Richinns wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 13:26 The size of a football club is not determined by what league they are playing within and making decisions using that as the underlining reason is nothing short of ignorant and arrogant.
I would contend that expecting commentary because 'we're Torquay' and we're 'still a big club' despite languishing in a regional league is what is ignorant and arrogant. It's that kind of thinking that does the club no favours at all, this whole 'we're too good for this' outlook gets us nowhere.

We're in a small league, so, unless we can get promoted again, we're a small club. We don't deserve to be in the Football League. We don't deserve to be in the National League. We don't deserve radio commentary. The club must strive to change this, but - for now - this is our reality.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

madgull wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 18:25 I would contend that expecting commentary because 'we're Torquay' and we're 'still a big club' despite languishing in a regional league is what is ignorant and arrogant. It's that kind of thinking that does the club no favours at all, this whole 'we're too good for this' outlook gets us nowhere.

We're in a small league, so, unless we can get promoted again, we're a small club. We don't deserve to be in the Football League. We don't deserve to be in the National League. We don't deserve radio commentary. The club must strive to change this, but - for now - this is our reality.
you have a right to your post, but I think you're wrong.

I refer you to Brucie's OP re Hereford on Radio Worcestershire. You might say that they are a similar size/historical club to us.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

re: 'grim north'.
Someone is writing from the Planet of the Stereotypes.
When it boils down to it, Torquay suffers more from this empty-headedness than does Whitby (although we suffer enough).
On the Planet of the Stereotypes Torquay is Basil Fawlty,
Whitby is Dracula.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Madgull - what a ridiculous post that is if ever there was one. Why do you think that BBC Radio stations cover the likes of Kidderminster, York and Hereford then?

Its got nothing to do with expecting commentary at all. Mr Grinnell has shown how ignorant he is by suggesting that a match between Torquay and Truro has increased interest which is nonsensical.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

wivelgull wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 19:07 re: 'grim north'.
Someone is writing from the Planet of the Stereotypes.
When it boils down to it, Torquay suffers more from this empty-headedness than does Whitby (although we suffer enough).
On the Planet of the Stereotypes Torquay is Basil Fawlty,
Whitby is Dracula.
Oh don't be so sensitive. He was referring to us in Tiverton :)
TUST member 200 ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

madgull wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 18:25 I would contend that expecting commentary because 'we're Torquay' and we're 'still a big club' despite languishing in a regional league is what is ignorant and arrogant. It's that kind of thinking that does the club no favours at all, this whole 'we're too good for this' outlook gets us nowhere.

:goodpost:

It’s ridiculous for people to expect us to have the same level of media coverage as our local League 1 and League 2 clubs, when we are nearer Tiverton Town and as near to Bideford and Barnstaple in the pyramid. In fact, being 3 divisions below Plymouth means we are as close to Buckland in the pyramid as the GAWS. It’s so utterly, blindingly obvious why Radio Devon no longer consider us worthy of live coverage that those getting up about it are the ones devoid of reality.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 14:11 charming...

you can keep that stereotypical reference to yourself pal.

......oh of course I forgot, Torquay is in the beautiful south and is still the dogs bo11ocks place to live like it was in the 70's and not the sh1thole that it apparently is now...... :no:
Having just returned from the Lake District the grim up North was certainly not in evidence seemed more like paradise.