Torquay United vs Cardiff City 20.7.18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

This is directed at all thee of little faith ( you know who you are ! Yes you do, don't pretend otherwise ) .
Sometimes , you have to take a step backwards to move forwards, this could be the start of something special, I know it's only pre season friendlies but it makes such a difference in the quality of opposition, e.g. Plymouth ARGYLE instead of PARKWAY, Cardiff instead of Newton Abbot, Bristol City instead of Galmpton.
You learn so much more about your players abilities under pressure than you do against weaker teams that turn out to be a stroll in the park.
Well done GO, your contacts to get these fixtures have hopefully stood us in good stead for the forthcoming season, good luck to you & your team.
COYY
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Agree with Forever Roberts would be a good signing very lively and an attacking midfield player who produced a few good crosses come shots.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

arcadia wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:59 Agree with Forever Roberts would be a good signing very lively and an attacking midfield player who produced a few good crosses come shots.
Agree that when seen as an attacking midfielder that can chip in with the odd goal - he would be a useful addition. My concern would only be that we have more pressing concerns in the squad building, namely a physical presence up front who can also score heavily. Very much depends what GO has left in the budget I suppose as to whether there is room for one of these + Roberts?

He obviously likes him though, given that he trialled with us last year and was also set to join on loan - before circumstances led to the deal falling through.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Very much enjoyed the match last night against Cardiff City who brought 879 fans to Plainmoor creating a vibrant atmosphere.
Alex Bass was top class again, great handling and looks very secure. Big Jean Niate was a deserved MOTM and looks a great signing.
In fact the keeper and the back 5 if I include the 2 wing backs Ben Wynter and Liam Davis look excellent.
In midfield Asa Hall looked off the pace but it is still early days and he and Ryan Dickson will be way better by August 4th.
Brett Williams is a revalation and is clearly relishing playing for Gary Owers in a new team.
Delighted for Keating scoring after 1 minute on the pitcg ,took his chance, and credit Sami Nabi with an intelligent pass.
Negatives. The thing that stood out for me was that Cardiff were fantastic seeking space when their players did not have the ball.They were always on the move and looking to be available to receive the ball. United on the other hand often watched if we had possession but did not anticipate were they should run to receive the ball.
We are short of just one player as everyone agrees Brett needs a big fella beside him . Dare I say it James Constable is that type of player but I am not advocating he is the man .
Hugely encouraged by last 2 games well done Gary Owers on your recruitment to date. If Gary can sign the right striker and we will have a chance of Promotion.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes I do agree that the friendlies have been far better than last year. Whilst its nice to go and see the new players at Tiverton and Bideford it does make a change to not be playing these teams.

Tiverton especially treat it like their cup final and kick us to death everytime. We never take it half seriously and then everyone moans about the outcome.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Launceston Gull »

I agree with portugull`s comments. Make no mistake Cardiff will have wanted to win last night. In their earlier friendly fixtures they deliberately played the final 10 minutes with 10 men but couldn`t afford to do that last night. We all know that friendlies are deceptive but I was encouraged by what I saw. We look decent in all areas and we competed in all areas. Defensively we looked sound. Davis is going to be a real threat going forward. The lad Dickson has got good feet, good vision and can pick a pass, hopefully we can put a pair of strikers ahead of him able to capitalise. We`ll all have a better idea around 4.45pm on the 4th.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Most on this Forum have identified a need for a "big" guy to partner Brett up front. Does anyone know what if anything came of trialist Nick Dembele. He looks a little ungainly but he`s got size, strength, pace a few tricks and knows where the goal is.... check out YouTube. He took his goal against Poole well.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Hmmm ...... no Josh Gowling last night, then. Could it be that his agent is pulling a few strings somewhere??
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Unless he’s pulled a few hamstrings!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

There were some encouraging signs but weve seen it all before, lets wait for Chelmsford and Bath which will be
a lot tougher than Cardiff and Plymouth. We look quite a big side this year which is good, thought Cameron
was very good and impressed with the Frenchman. Think I am most pleased with Hall and Dickson in midfield
some real experience in there at last. Williams is capable of scoring a hatful in this league if he wants to but another striker essential. Roberts whipped in some great crosses but no-one read them. We wont be playing on perfect grassy
pitches like Plainmoor all season , we need to play ugly too, it comes down to how badly these players want it
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Wolborough wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:35 Unless he’s pulled a few hamstrings!
:clown: :clown: :clap:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:22 Hmmm ...... no Josh Gowling last night, then. Could it be that his agent is pulling a few strings somewhere??
We’re at Dorchester next week. 3g.