I want Gowling to stay....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

I want Gowling to stay....

Post by Richinns »

Merse - you're going to love this.....

I appreciate he missed almost half of the season because of different injuries and his knees are a constant worry however (from my perspective) we were a much better defensive team last season with him in the team and the facts back this up (in fact they are staggering!).

This speaks for itself!

Without Gowling playing:
22 games / 11 points / Would have given us 23 points(!!) over the season of 46 games.

With Gowling playing:
24 games / 31 points / Would have given us 59 points over 46 games (and easily achieved safety)

Now I am sure the argument will be he is too risky to keep around but to me it is a risk worth taking because the stats above illustrate that he can more than hold his own at the level we have just descended from so he should (in theory) but a massive player for us at the level we now find ourselves at. And is not like the manager is taking a safe approach in his recruitment thus far is it! (signing a player who missed a considerable more amount of games last season than Gowling did and keeping a player who barely made an appearance in his time here last year due to a health scare!).

Perhaps Mr Owers would do well to review these stats before trying to kick him out the door!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Stats can be made to look like anything. Take a look at his defending against Gusieley at home and he was a **** liability. Can't head the ball. Too slow. Absolutely fecking rubbish - bit like your thread really.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

that was one game you can't say he should go based on having one bad game when the season was over anyway
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 12:03 Stats can be made to look like anything. Take a look at his defending against Gusieley at home and he was a **** liability. Can't head the ball. Too slow. Absolutely fecking rubbish - bit like your thread really.
haha - you see about 4 games a season and you decide to attack facts over what is merely just your opinion!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

He's contracted for another year - so if he stays I would utilize him at least as understudy to Vincent Kompany who 'Recruitment is King' Owers will shortly unveil as our latest signing.

Joking aside - If we don't find ourselves with an abundance of new recruits, then Richinn has a point with reference to Gowling being able to hold his own at the level we find ourselves in namely, 'regional football'. We all have differing views and opinion on players and mine being, I don't buy into he is totally rubbish just I don't buy into Luke Young was a 'bog average non league footballer'.

A good point to debate I would have thought, at least until Mr 'I know what it takes' Ower's unveils our new defensive signings. Gerring or Gowling - that would be an interesting debate.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Just how many times did you see Gowling play last year Brucie?

How many times did you see a game Owers managed?

I just want to check that your judgement on these matters is fully informed one!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scott Brehaut has been to more games than him 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Three I think. Boreham Wood (shambolic). Gateshead and can't remember the other one. The team had improved under Owers (mind you it wouldn't have been possible to get any worse).

So basically in the Guiseley match it is perfectly ok for Gowling to defend like a four year old (when he was arguably responsible for all four goals) because "the season was already over".

That's ok then. Actually I think that I would actually prefer Gerring on the basis that he is better in the air, doesn't have an attitude problem, and probably isn't any slower than Gowling.

Other plus points are that Gerring isn't allergic to a 3G pitch and doesn't wear a wig.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 14:29 Scott Brehaut has been to more games than him 😉
:clap: :clap:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

You are entitled to your view Brucie. There always have to be people tagged as villians - it's the modern way. If you had watched a series of games and observed the 'management team' hollowing endless criticism in very many first halves and being mute and merely standing looking bemused in many second halves you may well have identified other people to tag.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gowling playing or not playing is interesting statistics but Not Being able to win a match after 15 games is why we got relegated.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Gowling had lined up with a defence including Myles Anderson, Chaney and Sicknote Clarke in goal then its very likely his points to games record would no doubt look a lot worse..

Similarly if he played in a team including Healey and Romain up front its quite likely we would have accumulated more points than one including Pittman and Fallon as our strikers.

This is why Richinns thread is a complete load of nonsense as you cannot possibly make any case for how many points we won or lost with Gowling in the team without factoring his ten team mates.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yet you can make all sorts of accusations about players from your armchair............. Nowt so queer as folk ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I stand to be corrected Lucy but the 15 game run you refer to coincided in my mind with Gowling and for the most part Davis being injured. Interestingly Davis despite much initial 'abuse' got forgiven- and rightly so. Gowling an older player took longer but his injuries which occurred after that spell were spasmodic but has received continuing ridicule. Gowling is the type of player who could lead us back. Merse will disagree but I think most weeks he can read a game well. Gerring is an honest player but is probably a Conference South centre half. I feel it's the dilemma we now have. Do we now settle for Conference South and moan about the recent past and the names associated with it or are we really going to have a serious attempt at climbing back.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dazza wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 18:27 I stand to be corrected Lucy but the 15 game run you refer to coincided in my mind with Gowling and for the most part Davis being injured. Interestingly Davis despite much initial 'abuse' got forgiven- and rightly so. Gowling an older player took longer but his injuries which occurred after that spell were spasmodic but has received continuing ridicule. Gowling is the type of player who could lead us back. Merse will disagree but I think most weeks he can read a game well. Gerring is an honest player but is probably a Conference South centre half. I feel it's the dilemma we now have. Do we now settle for Conference South and moan about the recent past and the names associated with it or are we really going to have a serious attempt at climbing back.
It was actually 13 games until we got a win and as you say Gowling only played in 5 of those games, 3 of which we drew. The two we lost were both only 1 nil (at Daggers and against eventual champs Macclesfield).

Davis only played in the last match before we gained a win (Daggers away).

We only won 2 games all season without Gowling playing and none without Davis.