Next season's opposition

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Next season's opposition

Post by Jerry »

Truro lost last night so that's our Christmas and New Year fixtures sorted.

Unfortunately Weymouth got stuffed by Kings Lynn in the Southern League so we miss out on another relatively local game.

If Slough beat Kings Lynn in the final I think that means Hereford are definitely in the NLN next season. If Kings Lynn win it would probably depend on who wins the NLS play offs.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

So we could end up with both Hereford and Billericay next season? That would be a tough one...
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I'll be going to the Hendon v Folkestone Invicta play-off semi final tonight in the Isthmian League battle for the last available slot in the NLS next season; Dulwich Hamlet are playing Leiston in the other semi. 21 miles north-east of Ipswich and 90 miles north-east of London; Leiston (the town has a population of just 5,500) would present another obscure and difficult to get to venue on next season's itinerary if successful in the play offs,

Hendon play on a 3G pitch in little more than a public park (think Dawlish) near Wembley Stadium (Slough ~ averaging over 600 in the Southern League ~ too play on 3G) and only average a couple of hundred fans at most games whilst the Leiston average is much the same. Billericay averaged 1,195 this season and Dulwich Hamlet have found their gates halved since having to travel eight miles away to Tooting & Mitcham to complete their fixtures this season ~ current average is 1,495 though.

Folkestone are a club with more potential than local rivals Dover in my opinion; however, they only average 379 this season and (like the rest of the Isthmian League contenders I have seen this season) whilst their football is superior to anything Torquay United produced for much of the season; they are tiny clubs in comparison to us at a level of football where people turn up with their dogs, can sit and watch with a pint in their hand and 'change ends' at half-time if they choose to......it's a long way from the days out at Villa Park, Hillsborough and Ayresome Park of my youth following this plummeting like a stone football club of ours.

Image Image Image Hendon: think Dawlish. Slough play on 3G
...Billericay wish they did

Folkestone: laid back in the sun
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Indirectly linked to the above postings but a very good article by Dave Whelan today in 'It's Round And Black And White ' (I think!), featuring contributions by Louis Higgins and Robin Causley. Well worth a look, although it's nothing we don't know already:

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/ar ... uay-united
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

I went to the Hampton & Richmond V Truro play off last night, and whilst dominating the second half and missing a penalty, Truro ran out of steam in extra time and got caught out on the break twice. They must be gutted because it was a game they should have won. Time to be positive, move on, and look forward to some fascinating fixtures next season! My gut feeling is, it will be Dartford to accompany Havant & Waterlooville into the National League premier.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

And this was the state of the pitch for that 'Play-Off'

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The failure of Dartford and Chelmsford in the NLS play offs probably doesn't help our cause much. Throw in Billericay and the possibility of Hereford and next season is going to be one hell of a challenge.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Slough have just beaten Kings Lynn 2-1 and are promoted to NLS. I guess this means Hereford go to NLN? Probably a good thing, but I fear we won’t need to be worried about teams near the top of NLS next season.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 07 May 2018, 17:27 Slough have just beaten Kings Lynn 2-1 and are promoted to NLS. I guess this means Hereford go to NLN? Probably a good thing, but I fear we won’t need to be worried about teams near the top of NLS next season.
And are joined by Dulwich Hamlet from the Isthmian League, who beat Hendon on penalties.

They will be a force next season I reckon, if they can sort out their ground issues.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Jerry wrote: 07 May 2018, 17:48 And are joined by Dulwich Hamlet from the Isthmian League, who beat Hendon on penalties.

They will be a force next season I reckon, if they can sort out their ground issues.
Bad times, when we are looking at dulwich hamlet as a tough game.
Lucy
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 07 May 2018, 17:27 Slough have just beaten Kings Lynn 2-1 and are promoted to NLS. I guess this means Hereford go to NLN? Probably a good thing, but I fear we won’t need to be worried about teams near the top of NLS next season.
Well the general consensus seems to be that that result does indeed confirm that Hereford are more than likely heading for NL North.

The likely make up of National League South is as follows:

Bath
Billericay
Braintree or Hampton & Richmond
Chelmsford
Chippenham
Concord Rangers
Dartford
Dulwich Hamlet
Eastbourne
East Thurrock
Gloucester City
Hampton & Richmond or Braintree
Hemel Hempstead
Hungerford
Oxford City
Slough
St. Albans City
Torquay United
Truro City
Wealdstone
Welling United
Weston-Super-Mare
Woking

Meanwhile Hereford will be competing with the likes of former Football League clubs (albeit some in reincarnations) ..... Stockport County, York City, Boston United, Chester, Kidderminster Harriers, Darlington, Bradford Park Avenue and Southport.

It does seem that, for once, our location has actually worked in our favour - at least in terms of the size and history of clubs we will be competing against. It doesnt necessarily mean that the quality is any better in that League though, of course!
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

Being based in London and following Torquay's fortunes these past few years, I am looking forward to games against Dartford, Welling and Dulwich depending on dates of the matches. Brother in law follows Dartford and says their standard is surprisingly good. Maybe too, some of their fans would rather be at the top of NLS every season than struggling near the bottom of NL. Won't be that easy for Torquay next season and you only have to look at the way Welling have struggled since relegation to see that but Braintree have shown that teams can bounce back into contention fairly quickly. I am hoping for a good season for the Gulls that will provide momentum when back in The National League the season after. As a Charlton fan, I always remember that Exeter came to The Valley and won 3-1 about five years after they were getting beaten by the likes of Canvey Island. Fortunes can turn around fairly quickly, though watching all the ownership issues from a distance, not sure I have any more idea about Clarke Osborne's motives than I do the Belgian owners that we have at Charlton. Both seem to be in it for what they can get out of it. Just hoping Torquay get out of NLS quickly, and it can be a season chalked down to the experience of visiting some new and interesting places along the way, even if some of the football might not be that great at times.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Forget being the only former League team, there can't be many in that list who have ever played in the Conference National.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

PhilGull wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:47 Forget being the only former League team, there can't be many in that list who have ever played in the Conference National.
Bearing in mind the conference didn't bother us until a few years ago that's quite tough to answer.... I'm going to do for Dartford, Eastbourne, Welling and Woking, obviously.

Let's play a game....any other guesses????
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

sgf wrote: 08 May 2018, 15:22 Bearing in mind the conference didn't bother us until a few years ago that's quite tough to answer.... I'm going to do for Dartford, Eastbourne, Welling and Woking, obviously.

Let's play a game....any other guesses????
Bath and Braintree have both been up there.