Player of the season vote

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:55 Another good post Gulliball! I like the way you bring some level headedness to the table. I have the greatest respect for traditions of our club. Maintaining longstanding traditions are normally meaningful and joyful and seal the passages of time providing us a sense of place.

Nonetheless, when a tradition becomes an obligation it’s time to rethink its purpose. Our supporter should all want to participate in following a tradition and not feel bound by it or inconvenienced. When supporters find themselves feeling compromised because we must follow a tradition that is no longer meaningful or makes us feel uncomfortable, maybe we need to ask ourselves “Why are we doing this?”

You rightly give descriptive words for our previous seasons i.e. good, average, bad, horrific ... But for me none of these apply to this seasons debacle and if only to protect children from unsuitable material, I will refrain from giving my descriptive account of this season, needless to say its not pretty.

'Tradition is the illusion of permanence' and there is nothing I want to focus on this season (players included) that I wish to remain permanent, other than change which is the only thing permanent in life and if this means breaking with tradition so be it.
This season has been worse than many, if not all, from the last 50 years, but you only get 50+ year traditions if you persevere with things through hard times as well as good. I would very much agree with you that each generation should improve upon what has gone before, as evolution is all about, but I wouldn't say that applies to this situation.

Lower league fans like to deride fans of Premier League sides, and much of this is based on the notion of supporting your local side, loyalty through bad times, you wouldn't know what it's like to support a side that... etc etc. That is what we're going through as a fan base just now - it's been going on for 5+ years now, is very painful at the moment and there's no end in sight... but if you give it out you have to take it. This is the moment when the club needs its fans, and if that backing isn't there then with the dangers we face there might not be a club in 5 years' time to make it a 55 year tradition.

As its basest level, I would equate it something like to being a parent (without being one myself...) There are probably moments when children do bad things, but as a parent you don't ever stop loving them. Very few fans will ever change who they support (and if they did would be heavily criticised...) so what we are left with is in effect unconditional love. Torquay are our team and we're stuck with it. We all want just good times, but there will inevitably be some struggles as well.

Possibly in some parts this comes down to the fact that I run the fan-voted MOTM threads after each game, and have done so since August 2010. In the last few years it can be very hard to post these after every game, regardless of whether we've lost 5-1 at home to Braintree, lost to a side with no goalkeeper, just been relegated to part-time football... and you know it's just going to invoke anger, sarcasm etc in reply. It would be easier to avoid that, say there will be no man of the match this week, but is that actually a better situation in the long run? Looking back now, I would say that giving MOTM to John Campbell in the 5-1 defeat is better than saying 'we're Torquay United, we should not be losing 5-1 to Braintree, so no-one deserves to be awarded Man of the Match'. That's why I post a MOTM after every game, regardless of the result, and will continue to do so. Who should draw that line of what is or is not a good result or a good season? What if we had lost 5-4 to Braintree, John Campbell had scored 4 and given the performance of his life, should he not be Man of the Match because Torquay are full time, once played in front of five figure crowds and should not lose to the likes of Braintree?

The bulk of our history has been as the underdog against 'bigger' sides, and now the shoe is on the other foot. But both are part of our history, which is what things like the Player of the Year award recognises, and why is it important to hold this in 1996 and 2007 just as much as 2004 or 2009. Luke Young is hardly going to get major plaudits for winning this, but this season is just a valid a part of our history as any other. Much less successful, and that is why it will not be remembered fondly, but you can't just ignore it. If he's been the best player this season, he deserves to get the Player of the Year award, regardless of how the club has performed. If nothing else, it's basic record keeping and documenting of our 119 year history as a football club. If you want a more emotional reason then some of the very best moments in our history have been during adversity - Bryn the police dog wouldn't have mattered one jot if it was to decide who came 8th and 9th - we had to be a bad side, in a relegation battle, for that to be so memorable. You can still have good moments, enjoyable experiences and relative successes when the side is underperforming.

Slightly longer than I had intended as a reply, but just my two cents... I'll be at the game tomorrow and will be voting for Luke Young.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I have definitely taken a step back in recent years with TUFC, though I always thought I was following exactly what was going on, and generally have a good memory when it comes to TUFC past and present. However..

Who on earth is John Campbell?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Gulliball - you are a priceless piece of the club history and your stats is a tradition that should be maintained - your endeavour to preserve a sense a pride in the club is commendable and for this reason my vote will be for you and all the supporters as a whole for their loyalty.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 23 Apr 2018, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 16:36 I have definitely taken a step back in recent years with TUFC, though I always thought I was following exactly what was going on, and generally have a good memory when it comes to TUFC past and present. However..

Who on earth is John Campbell?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31500592

Striker, on loan from Oxford. Scored the goal in the 5-1 defeat to Braintree. Not the best moment in our history, but if nothing else worth documenting as a 'low point' (at the time, we may well sink a fair bit lower yet).
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I will probably be shot down, but I put less of the blame on the players than on Owers/Kuhl poor match tactics and lack of motivation. Over 40 players have been used so there has hardly been a settled side which hasn't helped. I shall be voting, but have yet to decide who to vote for.

Both George Dowling and Michel Efete have stuck with the club since they first arrived on loan. Presumably, both could have opted out when their initial loan periods expired, but they stayed. Both have always given 100%. Luke Young - deservedly in my view - has been included week after week amongst the Forum's five best players, usually at no. 1 or 2. Vincent Dorel has performed well and Sean McGinty has been solid in defence. It's his distribution that lets him down. Barnes, Lemonhaigh-Evans, Romain have all played okay, but it wouldn't be fair to include them as they've only played a handful of games.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As tomogull well knows, when we were successful (and brilliantly so) in the 60s our sides were settled (sometimes using less than 20 players in a season) and we gained our success through quality, not quantity.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Ok to do a player of the year I suppose to keep with tradition but not to have a presentation on the pitch
with people applauding. Keep it behind closed doors. Yes they are all losers , someone, cant think who
it was now............ singled out Luke Young again, think he would be about number 42 in the the list of
Torquay United losers this season.
LaPotato
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: None

Post by LaPotato »

Not too hard to decide this year for me. Got to be Vincent Dorel.

Pretty much every player has been pretty poor this season for, other than him. Think he has been very consistent and crucial to not getting relegated sooner (that is obviously not much to shout about though).

Anyway way, can't wait for Wealdstone away next season!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

My vote goes to Jamie Reid
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Now....shall I vote for Robin Stubbs....or John Smith....or Ronnie Barnes....or John Bond....or Andy Donnelly....
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I hope that the players do walk around the pitch after the last game.This is NOT a lap of honour but a chance for them to applaud the loyal people who have given time and money to get behind them week in week out.The one thing that , if I were a player , would not do is to carry my child around with me, I assume it's done to create happy memories so not appropriate next Saturday.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

This tradition will not include a vote from me I'm afraid as I do not think any player deserves the "honour", in perpetuity, of POS as the records will not qualify that any such player was only considered to be best of all who participated in the worst season's result EVER - not a result to be proud of!

I think that this year the total number of votes cast should be declared, it would be an indication of the actual enthusiasm for any player in this year's shambolic shower......when Luke Young wins with 22 of the 40 votes cast!!
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Definitely Pasty for me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

kevgull wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 12:22 My vote goes to Jamie Reid
Stop it :lol:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I didn't vote - can't for the life of me think who might deserve such an accolade in this shambles of a season at such a shambles of a Club.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!