Nicky Wroe likely to STAY!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

JamieE wrote:
Perhaps we are playing one up front because we haven't got a suitable partner for Benyon? Martin Gritton has no pace, doesn't score and isn't that good in the air, Billy Kee isn't a target man and would be better off playing off of one and I'd much prefer Chris Zebroski on the right wing then up front. With the emergence of O'Kane as an option in centre midfield, what I think we need is a target man, someone who can start regularly, give us a direct option (because players in League 2 need one) whilst keeping the pass and pass mentality that Bucks has been trying to instill recently, and more importantly score some goals. All of Pope's goals were scored when Crewe were in League 1. When we are at home we want to play 4-4-2 with a big man, a poacher and a playmaker. We've got the last two but Gritton doesn't fit the bill as a starter.
So why are they here...? And isn't two months a little too soon to be writing them off?

Benyon and Kee always looked a questionable partnership - but Bucks thought it could work. At least lets give it a try before consigning it to failure.

Benyon and Gritton have hardly played as a partnership either. Both have played the lone striker role when combining the two would appear to be the obvious choice. Micky Evans was a useless lump when he was here, but Jamie Ward benefitted from his presence.

The answer to every problem is not 'bring someone else in'. The strikers we have have proved their worth in the past. Play in a manner that will get the best from them and we might see some improvement.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Richinns wrote:Is Tom Pope the answer to our problems though????

Sounds like the Rotherham fans would be glad to be shot of him.
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... 2119870146
They seem pleased to be linked with Wroe, although I think they may be a little disappointed as they're expecting a 'vocal leader' on the basis that's he's our captain.

I don't know enough about Pope to form an opinion but the fact Rotherham spent 150k must mean something. Right?

Oh and I wouldn't trust wikipedia - have a look at it now. Apparently Pope has an obscure obsession with bacon and cheese oatcakes with extra brown sauce; his right foot is 7mm longer than his left; and he has a child from a previous relationship called Ronald.

It's like that quiz show 'Would I Lie To You?'
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

ReadinGull wrote:Shame about Nicky, but yeah, he's been more than a little bit pants recently.

I imagine noone will come in. Budget restrictions = loan-tastic normally.

Is Zebs not meant to be a forward too? I've never rated the guy, seems to have an air of thinking he is better than he actually is.

I think we'll do well to keep the squad tight rather than become a revolving loanee door.
That's a bit harsh. I personally think he's one of our best players, capable of playing as a striker or on either wing. He does have quite an awkward running style with the ball. He never seems to have it under full control but still somehow manages to beat the full-backs.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

tommyg wrote: They seem pleased to be linked with Wroe, although I think they may be a little disappointed as they're expecting a 'vocal leader' on the basis that's he's our captain.

I don't know enough about Pope to form an opinion but the fact Rotherham spent 150k must mean something. Right?

Oh and I wouldn't trust wikipedia - have a look at it now. Apparently Pope has an obscure obsession with bacon and cheese oatcakes with extra brown sauce; his right foot is 7mm longer than his left; and he has a child from a previous relationship called Ronald.

It said all those random facts as well last night. To be fair, he is a Potteries lad so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he is partial to the odd oatcake. As for him having one big foot and a child called Ronald, who knows.......

Interestingly in reading that quote from the Rotherham forum, a couple of people want them to be rid of Pope whilst another couple say he is best partner for Adam le Fondre and think that Ronnie Moore rates him. It will be interesting to see if there is any truth in these rumours.
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicholson

Post by ReadinGull »

Jeff, I agree, but only when he can be bothered. He spends too much time too often mincing and looking disinterested in my eyes. When he fancies it, can be a handful, too busy fancying himself I reckon.
Millers
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Millers »

The reason Rotherham fans say he is the best partner for Le Fondre is for a couple of reasons.

Ryan Taylor - Not fully fit yet.
Tom Elliott - Useless.
Paul Warne - More of a RM and cant play 90 minutes as he is 37.
Marcus Marshall - A winger more than a striker.

We dont actually have anyone else left to fill the gap until Taylor is back fit. Unless Ellison is shifted in to the roll. Thats why we tried signing Ian Thomas-Moore, im sure we will have him in January.

Popes record speaks for itself. For £150k he has been terrible. He has scored more than 4, FIVE! He is slow, good in the air, strong but his lack of pace does him no favours. He is poor at shooting and will require his own physio.

You wont get Pope. We will want a fee for him, to try and recuperate some of the money Robins wasted on him. Wroe may come to us, it only a waiting game.

Im guessing he will come on loan and we will offer £30k-£50k for him in January. I doubt youd reject it, seen as your so hasty to get rid of him.

I hope he comes to us, would be a very very good signing and he is only 25 with plenty of experience. Pope WONT go the other way.

Good luck for the season.

Millers
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Millers wrote:The reason Rotherham fans say he is the best partner for Le Fondre is for a couple of reasons.

Ryan Taylor - Not fully fit yet.
Tom Elliott - Useless.
Paul Warne - More of a RM and cant play 90 minutes as he is 37.
Marcus Marshall - A winger more than a striker.

We dont actually have anyone else left to fill the gap until Taylor is back fit. Unless Ellison is shifted in to the roll. Thats why we tried signing Ian Thomas-Moore, im sure we will have him in January.

Popes record speaks for itself. For £150k he has been terrible. He has scored more than 4, FIVE! He is slow, good in the air, strong but his lack of pace does him no favours. He is poor at shooting and will require his own physio.

You wont get Pope. We will want a fee for him, to try and recuperate some of the money Robins wasted on him. Wroe may come to us, it only a waiting game.

Im guessing he will come on loan and we will offer £30k-£50k for him in January. I doubt youd reject it, seen as your so hasty to get rid of him.

I hope he comes to us, would be a very very good signing and he is only 25 with plenty of experience. Pope WONT go the other way.

Good luck for the season.

Millers
It's Sillsy!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
wodger-of-Awabia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Zebroski

Post by wodger-of-Awabia »

Sending Wroe out on loan & getting another team to pay his wages for the rest of his contract is similar to receiving a fee for him. Lets assume that he has £30,000 worth of wages left on his contract, then Torquay have saved £30,000, or if you like are £30,000 better off than they would have been. This of course only holds true if P.B. does not intend to select him again.
Zebroski For Poland..........I am Brian!,& so is my wife!
Wellswoodgull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Wellswoodgull »

It stats in the HE (via a comment from a reader) that NW was caught out drinking and got into a fight in a nightclub!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not having a go at anyone here,however some Tufc fans really do need to see the wood from the tree's here,even if it was true and Nicky Wroe did get caught drinking and have a fight in a night club,Tufc as a club does not have the sqaud or the finance's to move a player out because of that.

This is nothing more than a case of a player who need's for what ever reason to be playing his football close to home,he is 25 and will not sign a new contract,so Buckle as the manager has no other choice but to do the best for Tufc in terms of getting the best fee for Nicky Wroe he can,other wise he leaves for £0 in the summer..end of.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Looks like 'Millers' thinks Rotherham have a real gem on their hands... How many MOM's did Wroe get for us since we've been in League Two??
pac17
Trialist
Trialist

Post by pac17 »

tommyg wrote: They seem pleased to be linked with Wroe, although I think they may be a little disappointed as they're expecting a 'vocal leader' on the basis that's he's our captain.

Rotherham did not pay 150k for Pope and i can't see him leaving Rotherham
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I have never been NW's biggest fan but I'm shocked and at the way he's being treated by some on here. He, in my opnion, has always tried his best and surely, you can ask no more, of anyone.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

forevertufc wrote:Not having a go at anyone here,however some Tufc fans really do need to see the wood from the tree's here,even if it was true and Nicky Wroe did get caught drinking and have a fight in a night club,Tufc as a club does not have the sqaud or the finance's to move a player out because of that.

This is nothing more than a case of a player who need's for what ever reason to be playing his football close to home,he is 25 and will not sign a new contract,so Buckle as the manager has no other choice but to do the best for Tufc in terms of getting the best fee for Nicky Wroe he can,other wise he leaves for £0 in the summer..end of.
In fairness Dave, players have apparently been moved on under the current regime for even less obvious 'disciplinary' issues. 'Sulking' has been considered a punishable offence hasn't it?

I should say i have no idea if the story regarding Wroe is true though.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Wellswoodgull wrote:It stats in the HE (via a comment from a reader) that NW was caught out drinking and got into a fight in a nightclub!
What a strange world it is.

NW might be transfer listed to maximise the fee for his services or it might be for a breach of club discipline.

My money is on the latter.

I don t see Bucks dropping him for the former reason. Not when I think about the loyalty that he has afforded NW throughout his continued lack of form.

Either way it doesn t matter now. The club must move forwards. I am starting to warm to Bucks for making a decision...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)