Slough v Torquay United 18/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Incompetence is different to neglect, in any business you are only going to make money from a successful product, they ,made a poor decision appointing Owers and even worse sticking with him.
We will see the true ambitions of the owners in time, I believe they want the best and want to make money the best way of doing this is to have a successful team with out Owers
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 17:40 Why on earth would Osborne want the club to fail? The mentality of some supporters and conspiracy theories is mind blowing. This isn’t a bond movie, there is no evil bad guy running his hands wanting the club to fail. This is Torquay get real, we are just being poorly managed and need to sort it out now.
#owersout
Why indeed!
What with his track record with involvement in football clubs I'm absolutely certain he only has the best interests of the club at heart and no personal agenda whatsoever.
Like you said, the mentality of those supporters eh.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

We probably do have a squad that can win games, maybe even finish close to the top, but the system is just not working.

3-5-2 / 5-3-2 has to stop being used.

I'm not surprised to hear that Pitman is scoring for Truro, I said the moment he went to Truro that he would score goals there. He probably would have been doing so at TQ if he had ever been given a chance. Reid should be the one at Truro, not Pittman. He categorically has to be removed from the side if we are to progress.

We sign Wright who has some semblance to a target man but keep him on the bench, just like we did with Gnabouyou last season who unsurprisingly walked. If you are signed as a striker for a team that is not scoring goals and get left on the bench then it's beggars belief!

I do believe we have goals in Williams, Keating and Wright but only under the right formation and style of play. As I've said on a number of occasions now I would put them all on from the start. 4-3-3 will do the trick or something that resembles that 4-3-1-2 etc. We should not be playing defensive football in this league.

Owers has to stop tolerating underperformance and needs to stand up to these players and make it clear what the expectations are.

I look forward to reading the comments from those who attended the game, yet I suspect my thoughts are fairly on point
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Totally agree that Reid and Pitman should be swapped ASAP
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Where an earth was Keating today?

What id do to have Rhys Healey on loan again. Doubt that’s possible though. Judging by Owers video he don’t add to be interested in looking for a striker right now. I just don’t see how we can score.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:15 Where an earth was Keating today?

Keating is out with a groin injury
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 17:56 Incompetence is different to neglect, in any business you are only going to make money from a successful product, they ,made a poor decision appointing Owers and even worse sticking with him.
We will see the true ambitions of the owners in time, I believe they want the best and want to make money the best way of doing this is to have a successful team with out Owers
There are none so blind as those who won't see.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I don't know if I'm just a glass half full sort of guy but 1 conceded in 5 and no throwing points away in the last ten minutes. Still seventh with a winnable home game to come. Not the hammering today that some predicted.

On the striker front I thought pittman was sharp against argyle in the friendly and was surprised when he was shipped out on loan. Not sure what the answer is other than a useful loanee from a higher level club.

But when I see GO's interviews why do I feel like saying "you poor f***er" cheer up"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I watched Truro today Pitman was poor but better than Reid will ever be. Truro have improved and got the draw in the last minute.
100 supporters at the ground a lot were Torquay supporters.

BEN HARDING is doing a good job.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:05
Why indeed!
What with his track record with involvement in football clubs I'm absolutely certain he only has the best interests of the club at heart and no personal agenda whatsoever.
Welcome back Dave ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Win the next 3 of which 2 are at home and we would have 17 out of 24 which is 71%.
It is possible but the senior players like Dickson and Hall are going to have to be real leaders on the pitch to help out the younger players who are not that experienced when you look at their career record to date
A solid defence but we just need one crucial player up front.
Everyone can see that except Gary. Very puzzling because it is so blatantly obvious.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:05 Why indeed!
Love the "track record " mention :lol:
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I lived in Portugal from 2004 to 2014. I attended as a season ticket holder all Home Matches of Sporting Club Olhanense who were in the Premier League for 5 seasons.
I saw Eric Dier when he played for Sporting Lisbon and Nemanja Matic who was at Benfica from 2011 to 2014.
Portugal is full of very gifted players many from Africa and South America who, unless they play for the big 5 Clubs earn peanuts.
I am going to get hold of Bola one of 3 Daily Football Papers in football mad Portugal and send it to Gary Owers.
Many of these players are very gifted technically and streets ahead of the so called strikers we have at Plainmoor.
I promise you all Portugal is a gold mine in terms of Footballers but you have to think "outside the box" and I don't mean the penalty box!
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

When I think back to last Autumn after owers took over I was filled with utter dread . I recall being absolutely slated when I suggested that a point against I can’t even recall was not worth getting out of bed for. I can categorically state that after 5 games in the lower league we predictably found ourselves in , that this point against Slough is **** worthless....
I have seen us in only one game this season . I asked a trusted and astute fan before that game (Bath city) what he thought of us so far. His description was that we are never going to score let alone win games with what we have. As it happened we did score and won , but I thought we were utter shite for the most part . I was actually shocked.
Owers has to go , Williams being made captain was just Owers blowing smoke up his ass to get him to actually do something other than go missing in games.
I can’t even bring myself to listen to Owers after match report lest I hurl the iPad out of the window.
How much more do we have to endure of this in effectual , clueless style of offal.
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

I was near the dug out today and the thing that struck me was the atmosphere of the bench, the team and general lack of enjoyment that is engendered under this regime. The joining videos were all smiles and positivity but believe me they are not enjoying themselves out there. Whingeing and death stares all round. These players are good at this level and we should have won at a canter today with a bit more team spirit, Unfortunately, Mr Owers does not bring that to the table.