New Goalkeeper

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ROADRUNNER wrote:we dont want him here im sorry but what if it were your kids he had killed, let some other club have him.
Then he should have been hung. If he can't work what use is he to the world?
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Disgusting Human being is highly offensive and implies intent. My best mates dad was the Chaplain at Argyle at the time, and he went to visit Luke McCormack every week, and knew him well before the accident. He says that there were few more humble footballers than Luke, and that he was torn apart by what he did and fully accepted any punishment he got. I dont condone drink driving, but as a youngster i did it on occasion. Luckily, nobody got hurt, but in reality am i not equally as guilty as McCormack, just that his ended in tragedy. Im sure many of you have at times got behind the wheel when you shouldnt have.

This is not to say i agree with his punishment, but branding someone disgusting for an accident, when you have stood on the pop and cheered on Zeb, who intentionally bottled a man, is highly hypocritical.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Seriously roadrunner?
Isn't that a bit of a "Not in my back yard" attitude?

You would allow him to play football again, just not for our club? You either agree with him playing, in which case he can play wherever he wishes, or you don't.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Kernowgull wrote:Disgusting Human being is highly offensive and implies intent. My best mates dad was the Chaplain at Argyle at the time, and he went to visit Luke McCormack every week, and knew him well before the accident. He says that there were few more humble footballers than Luke, and that he was torn apart by what he did and fully accepted any punishment he got. I dont condone drink driving, but as a youngster i did it on occasion. Luckily, nobody got hurt, but in reality am i not equally as guilty as McCormack, just that his ended in tragedy. Im sure many of you have at times got behind the wheel when you shouldnt have.

This is not to say i agree with his punishment, but branding someone disgusting for an accident, when you have stood on the pop and cheered on Zeb, who intentionally bottled a man, is highly hypocritical.
I'm equally sure there are plenty of people that have NOT driven after drinking that would still be able to see that the guy should be able to work now that his sentence is over and done with.

What is it that people disagree with? The act itself? If so, then I agree, what he did was wrong - however he has served his time.

Is it the punishment that they disagree with? If so, that is not his fault. He served what he was told to serve.

Is it the fact that he is out and about again? Also not his fault - he has served his time.

Or is it simply the fact that he is allowed to work again? If so, I guess that you agree that it should be an eye for an eye, and that we should have killed him ourselves.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

We're talking about a guy who will have to live with this for the rest of his life, surely that is a sentence in itself?

He was a kid who made a stupid mistake and was punished for it, he served his time (which I do agree, wasn't long enough) and he is now out to live his life. I personally wouldn't want to see him at Torquay because he would completely undermine everything that club has worked to be and the very reason why I chose to support Torquay over Argyle and Exeter when I was younger, it's a family club with a nice atmosphere where you don't have to watch what you say because some knuckledragger is standing near you and he fancies a fight.

No problem with him coming back into football, with the amount of grief he will get it will probably be worse than his time in prison. If he's still playing in a few years, I'd actually shake the guy's hand because I'd have a lot of respect for his ability to stick something out.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I have posted my feeling on this before, as many agree, if he were a plumber etc,etc, he would be allowed to return to his trade, he is a footballer why not ? What is the difference.

However , I would not want him to sign for Torquay, for the reasons put forward by cambgull, it would fly in the face of everything our club stands for, and our club has made so many gaint steps forward these last few years, the signing of McCormick could wreck it all in one fell swoop.

Maybe their is a bit of, not in my backyard about my view point, whoever he signs for he will divide opinons, just don't want our club to do anything to harm the status quo.

Their is more than enough decent keepers around, not for us to go down this road.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have heard that McCormack is/was actually a decent young lad before this terrible event. He was stupid, mindlessly stupid. He did something that countless others have done but got away with...he drove whilst drunk. That is not to belittle the tragic outcome of his foolishness and you can never undermine or diminish the pain the victims of McCormack's disgraceful actions suffered.

But he is not a murderer in the strictest sense or a rapist. He made a terrible fatal mistake and like someone has pointed out, what he must live with every day is probably a worse punishment than prison or not being allowed to play football.

I can imagine that if he does get fixed up with a club that being in front of opposition fans is going to be an experience that is pretty hellish, so I am surprised he would want to put himself through that to be honest.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

McCormack is no Lee Hughes. He caused an awful tragedy but he did not run from it. He is very likeable lad who made a terrible mistake with the most disastrous outcome as a result. It will haunt him until his dying day and nothing anyone’s says or does will change that. That is his punishment and I suspect his time in prison does not even touch that penance. If he came here I would not think anymore or less of the club.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Luke McCormack never played in goal for Argyle, so I hope we don't sign him, however Luke McCormick did play for the gargs...sorry could not resist it, for once I spelt something right.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I doubt the club will even consider this, personally. We've strived to gain our reputation as a family-friendly club, so to put it in jeopardy for the sake of a player would be stupid. For the record, I don't think it's as bad as Hughes, but I see no point ruining our hard-earned reputation.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I don't get the whole "family friendly club so let's no bother with him". You must all have very interesting families - surely somebody like McCormick coming to a "family friendly club" could be the best possible thing for him? All seems to smell of hypocrisy to me, especially given some of the unsavoury character we've been prepared to cheer in the past.

As I've said many times before - if you think the guy should still be in jail, blame the justice system. The courts are supposed to be for rehabilitation into society, not some kind of bewigged witch-hunt.

If he comes on board then there's plenty he and the club could do to protect the 'family friendly club' reputation that you seem to grimly desperate to hang on to. Maybe encourage him to go to local school and do a alcohol awareness thing, for example. There are people on here saying that he's a nice guy who made a terrible mistake - if that's the case then he'll probably jump at a chance like that.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

happytorq, I was going to post something similar but you tie it in perfectly with the family friendly club thing.

As Ive said, I know the person eho spent more time with him than anybody outside his family whilst he was in prison, and from what Iunderstand, he wants to try and ensure something positive comes from this tragic incident.

I dont know how Id feel in the circumstances, but I would like to think the family would be happy if Luke could prevent others from making his mistake
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

pokeys back!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:pokeys back!
how do you know?!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I hope that's true!